TomTom App on iOS15 — TomTom Community

TomTom App on iOS15

This discussion was created from comments split from: Traffic not working.

Comments

• Marc_WeijmarMarc_Weijmar Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    edited September 28
    Not a question, more of a signal towards Tomtom and potentially other wannabe IOS15 users:

The tomtom app on my Iphone 12 IOS15 (developer beta 2) has a problem with the voice guidance. It's cut off al the time. When a guidance is needed only the first second of the sentence is being said.

Other apps (and other navigation apps) don't have this problem. It's really the only one where the audio is behaving weird.

(also had a problem downloading maps after a reinstall of the app, trying to fix the audio, but I see there is another thread about it already)

• EldewyEldewy Posts: 31 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I can confirm this. Funny enough voice guidance/speed trap warnings work if Siri is active or a phone call is active.

The problem is also present in CarPlay.
  • Feckweed405Feckweed405 Posts: 85 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Having the same issue with CarPlay on 15 beta 2. Will have to try the Siri phone call ‘hack!’
  • Marc_UK1000Marc_UK1000 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Yup, me too. Having the same issue with CarPlay on 15 beta 2
    Issue is still present on Beta 3.
  • SuperhoopsSuperhoops Posts: 22 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I put on a thread about this about a month ago but nothing has changed. https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1135551/voice-announcements-cut-short-in-carplay#latest
    I tried it again today to see if anything has been done but now I just get a black screen- no picture and no sound. I have been trying apple maps and Waze last few weeks. Not perfect, mainly regarding speed cameras but at least the voice instructions work. Might just stay with one of them to be honest.
    Superhoops wrote: »
    I put on a thread about this about a month ago but nothing has changed. https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1135551/voice-announcements-cut-short-in-carplay#latest
    I tried it again today to see if anything has been done but now I just get a black screen- no picture and no sound. I have been trying apple maps and Waze last few weeks. Not perfect, mainly regarding speed cameras but at least the voice instructions work. Might just stay with one of them to be honest.

TomTom Go is by far and wide the slowest developing Android/iOS app I have ever seen.

That being said, these apps have some of the best if not the best visual guidance in the business. Combining that with solid offline performance, you have to get used to the convoluted routing and long lasting bugs as these are the main weaknesses of the apps.

Also don’t forget that iOS 15 is at a very early beta stage and after using the app daily I can only see two really annoying bugs: this one here & the abnoxious split view bug. So it is not so bad.

If you want an alternative with good speed camera information till TomTom bugs are fixed, I would recommend you to try Sygic or Flitsmeister. The accuracy of their data is highly dependent on the user base where you live though, so try for yourself to find the best app in your area.
    Agreed. Same here on the audio issue. We need an update fixing that, more fully fixing the heating issue with some phones and changing that steer to alternate route back to a choice. That almost got me into an accident.
  • Rich_ORich_O Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Still present in Beta 5.
  • rocminc99alrocminc99al Posts: 27 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I hope there will be a new version of iOS GO by the time iOS 15 is released. It feels like TomTom has been neglecting Apple platform.
  • momo24320momo24320 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I’m on IOS Beta 15.6 still have the same issue with the voice cutting out.
    I have been using Apple Maps since Tomtom became unusable on CarPlay. I have found it to be very useable and have already dumped Tomtom off my phone and will not resubscribe. Tomtom can’t be bothered to fix their faulty software or even reply to comments on this forum.
    I have been using Apple Maps since Tomtom became unusable on CarPlay. I have found it to be very useable and have already dumped Tomtom off my phone and will not resubscribe. Tomtom can’t be bothered to fix their faulty software or even reply to comments on this forum.

This situation allowed me to give Waze a fair chance … I never got to liking Waze, but now after trying it for a couple of months over long trips, I prefer it much more to TomTom.

Their feedback when reporting a bug or a map issue is second to none.
    Don’t blame you a bit! I moved to Apple Maps just because Waze and CarPlay on iOS 15 beta don’t always play nice with one another but once they do I’ll likely be moving to Waze too. I love the time in traffic on CarPlay TT gives and its more minimalist interface, but without an update it’s just not worth it.
  • AndyB66AndyB66 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Still have problems with TT GO on ios15. Whenever the app alerts me to a fixed, mobile or red light camera, the music volume stays muted and does not return to the previous music volume requiring closure of the app and reopening. Waze seems to do the same thing. So I’m wondering if it is more an Apple problem.
  • HappyTommiHappyTommi Posts: 1 [Novice Seeker]
    Hi all!

The app ist not working well with CarPlay on my VW. When I use it the car-system is thinking it has a call after first speech message from TT. The radio level will be reduced to very low and the only thing I can do is to disconnect the smartphone from the car.

Anyone has the same issue?
  • GoGo42GoGo42 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    im on ios 15 since today and on latest tomtom (ios) version, and i have the same thing with carplay. Why is tomtom that slow of fixing this volume bug issue!!

Its good that my subscription is ending soon as i wont renew it with this kind of buggy software.

There was plenty of time to fix this issue bit it seems that tomtom doesnt care!!
    Ios15. Roads are pronounced wrong. Park Road is now Parek Road as just one example. Often have to force quit two or three times for it to load as well.
  • RichieGRichieG Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Since upgrading to iOS15 release every other time I launch TomTom it gets stuck at loading app. Killing the app and then restarting has worked every time so far. Operating via CarPlay is the same but of course its not possible to kill and restart the App whilst you're driving.

Anyone else seeing this.

RichieG wrote: »
    Since upgrading to iOS15 release every other time I launch TomTom it gets stuck at loading app. Killing the app and then restarting has worked every time so far. Operating via CarPlay is the same but of course its not possible to kill and restart the App whilst you're driving.

Anyone else seeing this.

Every time. Seriously getting on my nerves. Why does TomTom never get it right.
    RichieG wrote: »

Anyone else seeing this.

Every time. Seriously getting on my nerves. Why does TomTom never get it right.

Same here. Have to unplug and plug or restart almost every time and sometimes on CarPlay it still starts my music. Lots of issues for sure.
  • TommcTommc Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I’m finding the same problem with every single camera alerts pausing music - which is far from ideal
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 185 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Since updating to iOS 15 last week, opening of app with CarPlay is definitely worse and often requires multiple forced resets and quite often after a camera announcement, the radio volume goes very quiet until the next announcement and then usually it is ok.

Hope the next update is soon.
  • Tipo874Tipo874 Posts: 0 [New Seeker]
    I noticed today that the app does not restore the volume after a speed camera alert.
    I don't know if this is a new issue with iOS 15.0 or not, but I have not noticed it before.
    It happened several times this morning and I had to unplug the phone from the car to get the radio to restore the normal volume.
    The phone is an iPhone 12 Pro, the car is a 2016 VW Golf and I have an Apple Watch, running watchOS 8.0, and all these units are connected to the navigation app, version 2.7.1.

Is this a known issue?
  • AthlAthl Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I have the same problem with my iphone 12 Pro max on ios 15. Car is Peugeot 208 with carplay.
    It’s a very irritating problem.