How do I backup SD card? — TomTom Community

How do I backup SD card?

nigelbbbnigelbbb Posts: 99 [Supreme Trailblazer]
I have recently bought a four year Smart FourTwo that has TomTom built in. It runs off an SD card. Both the Smart & TomTom documentation is pretty poor but I finally managed to update the maps & software plus renew the Live Traffic service. However I am concerned that if anything happened to the SD card the system would be totally useless. What can I do to backup the SD card? I’m assuming it’s nit the same as merely cloning the card to a fresh card as TomTom likely don’t want to make it easy to copy their maps etc What happens if the SD card fails? Can I get a replacement from Smart or TomTom? Ideally I would just make my own backup.

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,891 Moderator
    Hi @nigelbbb
    The device works on TomTom Nav3 firmware setup, so the memory is secured. In MyDrive Connect there is very limited options to back-up the content.

See this article- https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959659

The maps stay active on your account, so you can download them anytime using MyDrive Connect.

Regards,
    Vikram
  • nigelbbbnigelbbb Posts: 99 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    So if I can’t make a backup what use is being able to download maps? In any case what would I download the maps to if the SD card has failed?

Can anyone tell me what happens if the SD card fails? Can I get a replacement from Smart or TomTom?
  • Willy875Willy875 Posts: 3,063 [Exalted Pioneer]
    If the SD card breaks down, you have to ask Mercedes.
    Willy875 wrote: »
    If the SD card breaks down, you have to ask Mercedes.

Not the answer I wanted but thanks.
    Some buy Sd on Ebay for Carminat where R-Link is its market made you refund the purchase if it does not work.
    Willy875 wrote: »
    Some buy Sd on Ebay for Carminat where R-Link is its market made you refund the purchase if it does not work.

Sorry but I cannot understand what you have written. I don’t know what a Carminat or an R-link is.

Are these Smart SD cards on eBay OK?
    Not tested buy the Sd if it works it's good if it doesn't work you get your money back.
  • AngryBirdAngryBird Posts: 112 [Revered Navigator]
    edited September 24
    nigelbbb wrote: »

No, they are not. These are clones from legit card. And they are not cheaper if you compare to official website (I mean if you just buy map online and use your own card). They will sell you outdated 1055 or 1065 version without the right to update officially for free within 1 month
    AngryBird wrote: »

No, they are not. These are clones from legit card. And they are not cheaper if you compare to official website (I mean if you just buy map online and use your own card). They will sell you outdated 1055 or 1065 version without the right to update officially for free within 1 month

How do they clone the SD card then as I have been told that it’s not possible for me to clone my SD card?
    Not possible for you, correct. But they can - pirated SD cards with cloned CID.
    Hi
    Why don't you ask your Mercedes dealer the price of an SD for your Smart?
    edited September 26
    You can build your own SD card and update all applications from Smart Media Connect.
    R-Link explorer application can build new SD for you.
    Or you can just buy new sd card - format it FAT32 and copy all files from another Smart card (yours or somebody else's). These files are hidden so you need to enable showing hidden files for you to see them.

And after that - connect to car, then to Smart Media connect.

Also if you just need to backup your card - you can copy all files (they are called TOMTOM.XXX ( where you wil have numbers instead of XXX) - all of them. and then you have your backup :)
    You can build your own SD card and update all applications from Smart Media Connect.
    Or you can just buy new sd card - format it FAT32 and copy all files from another Smart card (yours or somebody else's). These files are hidden so you need to enable showing hidden files for you to see them.

Also if you just need to backup your card - you can copy all files (they are called TOMTOM.XXX ( where you wil have numbers instead of XXX) - all of them. and then you have your backup :)

I’m confused. First you tell me I can’t clone my SD card now you say I can. Are you describing a working backup that can be used if the original SE card fails?

I’m confused. First you tell me I can’t clone my SD card now you say I can. Are you describing a working backup that can be used if the original SE card fails?

1. You can't "clone" card.
    2. You can copy contents of your old card to new card - I explained how to do it.
    3. If you have content on the card bought for your car on via TomTom website/Smart Media connect -- it will work on new card ok, because license is bound to your car
    4. If you have content bought with card - then it is bound to card unique identifier - it won't work on new card