Why the difference in voice guidance between versions? — TomTom Community

Why the difference in voice guidance between versions?

explor202explor202 Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
Hello, I'm trying out the trial version of TomTom GO and right away I noticed a difference in voice guidance between 3.2.12 and 1.18.1. When set to miles/feet, Samantha would always say "in one half mile turn left". Now she says "in half mile turn left". She also never used to say "in point zero three miles turn right". Maybe it's just me, but I these differences very annoying. Can or will anything be done to get proper grammar and spoken directions back?

Comments

• explor202explor202 Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    Here I am ranting about grammar and I can't even get my own post right :s

What I meant to say was when set to miles/feet, Samantha would always say "in one half mile turn left". Now she says "in half mile turn left". Instead of saying "in one quarter mile, turn right" she now says "in zero point three miles turn right". Maybe it's just me, but I find these differences very annoying. Can or will anything be done to get proper grammar and spoken directions back?
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 465
    Staff
    I will check with the team.
    szachowa wrote: »
    I will check with the team.

Thank you, I look forward to your response.
    Staff
    This will take more time to check. I have reported GONAV-4204 for me to check this (ID of internal ticket).
  • eddydceddydc Posts: 298 [Exalted Navigator]
    This will take more time to check. I have reported GONAV-4204 for me to check this (ID of internal ticket).

Is there also a ticket for the illegal instructions on rondabouts? This also something that wasn't there a year ago and crept in the latest versions.
    Staff
    Hi @eddydc , would it be possible to provide me a link to the discussion about illegal instructions on roundabouts?
    I'm very sorry, but I don't recall it at the moment.
    Hi @eddydc , would it be possible to provide me a link to the discussion about illegal instructions on roundabouts?
    I'm very sorry, but I don't recall it at the moment.

No prob. In fact it's mentioned several times
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1774723#Comment_1774723
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1772711#Comment_1772711
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1775377#Comment_1775377
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,708
    Community Manager
    If you take the third exit in a roundabout you effectively turn left (or right in the UK). You're suggesting a preferential change here. You should be more careful with what you call 'illegal'.
    Jürgen wrote: »
    If you take the third exit in a roundabout you effectively turn left (or right in the UK). You're suggesting a preferential change here. You should be more careful with what you call 'illegal'.

On can't/may turn left on a roundabout. One goes on the roundabout (via the right hand side) and takes the Xth exit. If one literally turns left, one needs to go on the roundabout via the wrong direction, which is illegal (and rather dangerous).

Same thing for a high way exit. In your logic, TT Go should say to turn left on the highway, which it (luckily) doesn't. One needs to take the exit and at the end turn left.

Any other navigation device or software (and TT Go in the past) says to go on the roundabout, take the Xth exit and turn right into the exit when one arrives at it.
    I don't see any reason why TT Go should give other directions.
    edited September 25
    @eddydc This topic was about differences in grammar and how directions are spoken. Please feel free to start your own thread if you feel the directions themselves are incorrect.
    edited September 25
    explor202 wrote: »
    @eddydc This topic was about differences in grammar and how directions are spoken. Please feel free to start your own thread if you feel the directions themselves are incorrect.

As you might have noticed, I already did. The essence of the problem is the same: the voice suddenly gives other instructions starting from a certain version. I don't know whether this a voice specific or general issue, but - as you - I find these new spoken instructions very annoying.

Anyway, the essence is that both issues get fixed and we both get proper spoken instructions, no?
    @szachowa just wanted to check in and see if you had an update.
    Staff
    explor202 wrote: »
    @szachowa just wanted to check in and see if you had an update.

No update at the moment. I also reported today issue about "0.3 miles" in imperial unit system. I will provide an update as soon I get additional information from the responsible team.