Display issue during route navigation — TomTom Community

Display issue during route navigation

On two occasions, navigating to, and navigating from, the Sydney Olympic Park (Sydney, Australia), instead of showing the highlighted route with the arrow indicating position on the map, the display appeared "magnified" looking out of scale with the rest of the display, and the position arrow was nowhere to be seen.
In both cases, it occurred in the vicinity of the M4 motorway during the exit, and on approach to the entry.

6tje4jehusjk.jpg

Given the choices of lanes, and possible routes at those points, direction became vague.
Once leaving the immediate area, the display resumed normal operation.

The screen shot above refers to entry into the motorway "2nd issue" in the map reference below.

ptl8nvqlbcno.jpg

I have never seen this effect in any other instance of use in this application, and wondered if it was an issue with the map data…

Comments

• szachowaszachowa Posts: 465
    Staff
    On two occasions, navigating to, and navigating from, the Sydney Olympic Park (Sydney, Australia), instead of showing the highlighted route with the arrow indicating position on the map, the display appeared "magnified" looking out of scale with the rest of the display, and the position arrow was nowhere to be seen.
    In both cases, it occurred in the vicinity of the M4 motorway during the exit, and on approach to the entry.

6tje4jehusjk.jpg

Given the choices of lanes, and possible routes at those points, direction became vague.
    Once leaving the immediate area, the display resumed normal operation.

The screen shot above refers to entry into the motorway "2nd issue" in the map reference below.

ptl8nvqlbcno.jpg

I have never seen this effect in any other instance of use in this application, and wondered if it was an issue with the map data…

Hi @David_Green_7, welcome to our forum.

You are observing "Lane guidance on interstate highways" feature. It zooms in the view to show exactly which lane to take on highway exits.
  • David_Green_7David_Green_7 Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    szachowa wrote: »
    Lane guidance on interstate highways

Really? I guess it must have come in on the last update, and hadn't noticed. I've seen it implemented considerably differently on another App, and didn't recognise it as that function.

The lack of some sort of position reference for context does make it a little harder to follow though.

Thanks for the explanation.
  • mapfanaticmapfanatic Posts: 2,175 [Revered Voyager]

Really? I guess it must have come in on the last update...

@szachowa

One should mention that the lane assistant has probably been optimized!?

I really like what I was able to observe in my area today. A compliment to the team!!

• rabero1985rabero1985 Posts: 165 [Exalted Navigator]
    @mapfanatic What's improved?
  • mapfanaticmapfanatic Posts: 2,175 [Revered Voyager]
    rabero1985 wrote: »
    @mapfanatic What's improved?

@rabero1985
    I say carefully the current pictures for the lane assistant are a bit more professional. B)
    Hmm then I must take a look in the weekend... :)
    Couldn't wait and just had a little test drive but I don't see any different with previous version on lane guidance on highway ?
  • eddydceddydc Posts: 298 [Exalted Navigator]
    Don't see much of a difference either. The lane assist by Garmin is way superior for ages now.
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 465
    Staff

Really? I guess it must have come in on the last update, and hadn't noticed. I've seen it implemented considerably differently on another App, and didn't recognise it as that function.

The lack of some sort of position reference for context does make it a little harder to follow though.

Thanks for the explanation.

Please note that this particular feature can be enabled or disabled in Menu -> Settings -> Map & Display -> Show on map.
  • David_Green_7David_Green_7 Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had "Lane Guidance" turned off when I repeated the same journey again yesterday. The display looked much better.
    The sample in the manual looked good, but my instance had nowhere near that degree of legibility when I did have it turned on.
    Maybe it depends upon the layout of the roads, and at least I just read in the manual that tapping the screen makes "Lane guidance" go away, so I may try it again to see if it looks better in other circumstances.

The previous navigation software I had been using from Sygic displayed "Lane Guidance" in a small (floating) window on the right so you could see it and the map with position simultaneously.