Avoidance of Smart Motorways — TomTom Community

Avoidance of Smart Motorways

I own a WiFi GO 6000 Premium but this suggestion is relevant for all devices: When requesting a route on the device it is possible to choose to avoid Motorways, which can be useful, however I am of the opinion that these so-called Smart Motorways are very dangerous and recent statistics confirm this. I feel very unsafe on them and try to avoid them if possible, so I suggest that TomTom add an extra choice onto the menu allowing avoidance of the Smart sections of a Motorway as well as all Motorways in general. If anyone out there agrees please add your voice to this suggestion so increasing pressure on the development team to do so. Thanks

Comments

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,891 Moderator
    edited February 26
    Hi @Boyd_Taylor1
    Welcome to the community! A feature like this has not been requested before so would be interesting to see how many of our users feel the same.
    I will add this as a feedback request to be passed on to our Product and Development teams.

Thank you, Vikram
  • rogcjrogcj Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    +1 Useful information.
  • ShellbyGriffShellbyGriff Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    This would be very useful.
  • PerranPerran Posts: 5 [Novice Seeker]
    A very good idea.
  • eddie12eddie12 Posts: 112 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Yes, great idea.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 736 [Revered Pioneer]
    An essential option!
  • AlantooAlantoo Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Agreed please add the piton as soon as possible.

Given that Tom Tom units are likely to be widely used in older vehicles which did not have built in Sat Nav the likelihood of a breakdown are presumably higher...so an option to avoid Smart motorway sections would be welcomed by me...I am not going to drive on one again.

Alan
  • tonygrtonygr Posts: 78 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Smart motorways have no hard shoulder.

Standard, non motorway, dual carriageways have no hard shoulder

Why is a standard dual carriageway safe to drive on but a smart motorway dangerous?
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 547 [Exalted Navigator]
    tonygr wrote: »
    Smart motorways have no hard shoulder.

Standard, non motorway, dual carriageways have no hard shoulder

Why is a standard dual carriageway safe to drive on but a smart motorway dangerous?

My thoughts exactly and on a dual carriageway you don't have overhead warning signs well in advance to inform you of lane closures/other hazards or variable speed limits to tell you to slow down.
  • scaredycatscaredycat Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    I suggested this to TomTom early last year when I bought my new device and was disappointed with the user interface. I have an old car which is normally reliable, but which I would not want to break down in a live lane away from a refuge. I don't suppose a few more deaths mind the government much.
  • scaredycatscaredycat Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    And in answer to the other comments (a) standard dual carriageways do have a verge demarcated by a white line which provides some security and (b) what is the problem with providing a choice? If you are not bothered by smart motorways you will not need to use the option.