Error code 20209 while updating the maps

2»

Comments

• BeeJay48
    BeeJay48 Registered Users Posts: 13
    Master Explorer
    I have exactly the same situation. I am about to drive from UK to Poland and the iOS application will not update and I have lost all maps of Europe. Totally Screwed. What is TomTom up to; this is totally unacceptable. This could be the end of a 20 year relationship with TomTom.
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,203
    Community Manager
    BeeJay48 wrote: »
    I have exactly the same situation. I am about to drive from UK to Poland and the iOS application will not update and I have lost all maps of Europe. Totally Screwed. What is TomTom up to; this is totally unacceptable. This could be the end of a 20 year relationship with TomTom.
    Can you try quitting the app, restarting the app and then try again?
  • BeeJay48
    Master Explorer
    Juergen. Thanks for the advice. My problem began yesterday. I have quit the app, deleted and reinstalled it several times but still to no avail - still getting error code 20209. My trip from UK to Warsaw, Poland, commences this coming Sunday; it goes without saying that this is a problem I can do without but just seem to be getting nowhere.
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    It took a bit to start but Poland just downloaded fine for me. The server is probably still a bit busy since with version 2.7 we have migrated to a new base map which requires for all users to re-download their maps.
  • Nebukadnezar67
    Nebukadnezar67 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I also have the same error. Tried already everything like restarting the iPhone, deleting the TomTom GO app / restart / install new and install the maps. It's just messed up and without maps the app is useless. Cancelled already the renewal of the subscription just to put a stopp loss....
  • BeeJay48
    Master Explorer
    Jurgen. Thanks, I understand that there has been a compete re-vamp but I also read in some of the TomTom blurb that they have cut down on some of the previous information to make the new mapping more manageable and easier to keep up to date. If that is truly the case then they have failed miserably; there are literally hundreds of complaints about this problem. Like you, I was able to download Poland and Belgium but can not get France and especially Germany which, as we all know, is a pretty busy place and we need to be up to date with sat nav and I just am not. How long is it likely to be before their existing customers will be on their new systems.... Christmas? TomTom is a global corporation and this situation, that they have created for themselves, is just unacceptable. They must surely have run risk assessments to assess the likely impact of a total re-vamp / re-engineering of their main applications as well as mapping and, being primarily an IT dependendent company, must surely be better able to plan and implements upgrades to their main servers capacity and so on before attempting undertakings such as this. Anyway, having tried again and failed, I now give up and will search for an alternative solution.
  • axmir
    axmir Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    error 20209 on multiple devices when loading other map than Switzerland
    app 2.7.1
    IOS 14.7.1
    iphone 8+; ipad 4, ipad air,
    Location Switzerland
    Deinstalled app, restarted, installed app, loggd into Tomtom serices, Installed bas map for switzerland, this went fine. But additional maps -> error 20209
    Free memory more then 100GB, resp 15GB for the IPad4
  • Miguel1974
    Miguel1974 Registered Users Posts: 9
    Master Explorer
    After restarting/deleting/reinstalling the app several times problem persists. Same error. Tried several countries.
  • nickgovier
    nickgovier Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I had the same error 20209 when trying to download the Greece map, while in Greece. Deleted the app and reinstalled it and still had the same problem.

I was eventually able to download the map via VPN connection to the UK. Not sure why this fixed the problem but it might be useful for others who are facing the same issue.
  • MiiWaa
    MiiWaa Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I continue to get error 20209 when trying to download Germany NorthWest and East, which makes it impossible for me to travel from Denmark to the rest of Europe. Apparently hundreds of other TomTom users are experiencing the exact same (especially because you have encouraged them to re-download their maps). Different TomTom-people have since 1 September written that TomTom is working on the problem but it continues to be unsolved. Please fix it asap and list it on your wall of "UNRESOLVED QUESTIONS"
  • Miguel1974
    Master Explorer
    And the nightmare continues…a week since my first message. A week gives you time to develop a new app like TomTom from scratch. Looking for alternatives. Sad. Everyone on vacation on TomTom? Or is this a “major” issue? It’s only maps. Please. If you can’t fix this fast and properly that tells me a lot about the app.
  • Hanshenrik1
    Hanshenrik1 Registered Users Posts: 28
    Prominent Wayfarer
    We miss a statement from TomTom.TomTom is selling a nonfunctioning product.Iy is not ok.Waiting for a explination from TomTom.
  • BeeJay48
    Master Explorer
    I think that I have solved my issue, but cannot guarantee that the overall problem is rectified.

I have spent the last four days trying unsuccessfully to download the maps (see previous comments). In the end I tried again and again at various times of the day and night to see if I could get the system to operate. Fortunately I was able to commence the downloads. In order to minimise the risk I prioritised the countries needed for my forthcoming trip to Poland. In the case of the UK, France and Germany I downloaded each country map by its 3 or 4 component/area sections as shown within the main download. I then looked at the smaller maps; Belgium, Netherlands and Poland and I succeeded in getting them downloaded. I have since worked through all the other countries on my prioritised needs and they seem to have downloaded OK. It has taken hours and hours of frustration but I was left with little choice. To be honest I cannot be sure if I have truly succeeded until I get on the road this weekine and I approach the journey, 1,600 Km, with some trepidation. I have lost confidence in TomTom as a reliable product.
  • MiiWaa
    MiiWaa Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    SOLVED :-)
    By coincidence I think I have solved the problem. :-) When being a passenger I tried to download the missing maps - and obviously got the warning that I was not on WiFi - and I continued by using the mobile network...................and it worked. I called my wife at home who still couldn't download the maps (being on WiFi at home), but when she turned of the WiFi it suddenly worked.
  • Miguel1974
    Master Explorer
    No news. Problem continues. Is TomTom dead?!
  • lintpete
    lintpete Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    MiiWaa wrote: »
    SOLVED :-)
    By coincidence I think I have solved the problem. :-) When being a passenger I tried to download the missing maps - and obviously got the warning that I was not on WiFi - and I continued by using the mobile network...................and it worked. I called my wife at home who still couldn't download the maps (being on WiFi at home), but when she turned of the WiFi it suddenly worked.

This is indeed the solution. Disconnect from wifi and download via 4G (or 5G).
    Unbelievable that there is no reaction from Tomtom in this thread. Without customers a company cannot survive.
  • Hanshenrik1
    Hanshenrik1 Registered Users Posts: 28
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Today i could download north west Germany.It means that i now again can navigate in whole europe from Denmark.Disapointed over TomTom not a single comment about this issue.
  • FredSr
    FredSr Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited September 2021
    Can't download maps, code 20209, pay for it. How do we solve this?

Machine translated from Dutch
  • foCus7560
    foCus7560 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I just tried to update "Schweiz / Liechtenstein" and also get the 20209 error. Re-started the app, downloaded again (it actually downloads via WiFi but gets an error when trying to install), re-started the iPhone. Deleted the map and tried again but still no success. Now, I'm stuck with the map missing!
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    foCus7560 wrote: »
    I just tried to update "Schweiz / Liechtenstein" and also get the 20209 error. Re-started the app, downloaded again (it actually downloads via WiFi but gets an error when trying to install), re-started the iPhone. Deleted the map and tried again but still no success. Now, I'm stuck with the map missing!
    Hello and welcome to the forum. Can you give us the app version?
  • rogerbaudet
    rogerbaudet Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    It is possible to remove this error.
    Error 20209 probably comes from some firewall on WIFI networks.
    I had this error at home.
    I connected on a "public WIFI" (in the hall of a theatre).
    I was able to load my "Schweiz / Liechtenstein" card without any problems!
    I hope it works for you too!
  • z7x
    z7x Registered Users Posts: 24
    Master Explorer
    edited November 2021
    4 months on and the issue is still persistent. I've been using TomTom for 20 years, but I've never been more frustrated.

No, it's not my network, my work network (which I manage), not 3G/4G/5G. Some maps are ok, some are not.

Not only after upgrading to a new iPhone the TomTom Go app would not start at all as it was stuck on the Loading app forever I had to delete the app and reinstall it and now I can't have my maps back...

Since changing the way we update the maps, TomTom YOU BROKE IT! FIX IT!