TomTom Start 20 "No maps installed" error

InaThiart
InaThiart Registered Users Posts: 8
Novice Seeker
Hi,
All of a sudden when I turn on my TomTom GPS this message will pop up about no maps installed and that it need to be connected to a computer. When I do connect it to a computer, it will look for updates but find no maps or map updates. I bought the device with South Africa maps installed on the internal memory of the device. Can you please help me to download and install the maps again (I have TomTom MyDrive Connect installed on my Windows 8.1 PC).

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,960
    Superuser
    edited September 2021
    Hi @InaThiart

Start 20 devices with the serial number starting AO have been declared obsolete so no longer get support from Tomtom. I have flagged this to @VikramK in case he is able to allocate a map to your unit although it may be an old version.

Look back here to see what he says.

Doug
  • nabu
    nabu Posts: 16,890
     Superuser
    Hello, open my drive connect to CONTENT and take a Screenshot
  • InaThiart
    Novice Seeker
    Here are two screenshots - is this what you are looking for?

w7nd0e4254ip.jpg

uk83ejcjv5ek.jpg

• InaThiart
    Novice Seeker
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @InaThiart

Start 20 devices with the aerial number starting AO have been declared obsolete so no longer get support from Tomtom. I have flagged this to @VikramK in case he is able to allocate a map to your unit although it may be an old version.

Look back here to see what he says.

Doug

Thank you, I will do so. :-)
  • nabu
     Superuser
    InaThiart wrote: »
    Here are two screenshots - is this what you are looking for?

w7nd0e4254ip.jpg

uk83ejcjv5ek.jpg

Yes Thank you, we can clearly see that you no longer have any card in your device.
    DougLap wrote: "
    Hi @InaThiart

Start 20 devices with the antenna number starting AO have been declared obsolete and therefore no longer receive support from Tomtom. I reported this to @VikramK in case he is able to assign a map to your unit, although it may be an older version.

Come back here to see what it says.

Doug

our friend Doug did the necessary with the Moderators of the forum
    expect their feedback
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,066
    HI @InaThiart
    Welcome to the community! A map has been activated on your account. Please check for updates in MyDrive Connect.

Regards,
    Vikram
  • InaThiart
    Novice Seeker
    Hi VikramK,

I have found the new map update on the TomTom MyDrive Connect app. Thank you so much for your assistance. :)

Regards,
    Ina.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,960
    Superuser
    Hi @InaThiart

Glad things seem to be sorted.

Doug
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,066
    Hi @InaThiart
    I’m glad to hear you got it sorted! :D

When you're satisfied that your question has been answered, please mark your topic as solved so that others with a similar question may find the answer easier.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to post back here.

Thank you,
    Vikram
  • InaThiart
    Novice Seeker
    Hi,
    Everything started downloading and installing OK and then it got stuck at this point yesterday where it will say downloading map and then quit itself at the 4% mark of the map download. This was tried several times. Then I followed some TomTom instructions on the various TomTom forums and some people had luck in factory restoring the device.
    Factory restoring was done (40 seconds power button and then three quick power button taps at the text only screen after which with the spinning gear appearing). This goes smoothly. Then connecting the TomTom to PC, the following screens appear (one of the PC and one of the TomTom) where it has been stuck over eight hours now.

Any new advice or new routines to try?

Kind regards,
    Ina.
    9e83yxkcvzl9.jpg
    67f4au3bl6pj.jpg
  • InaThiart
    Novice Seeker
    Hi,

Thank you to all you guys for support. I have tried all the recommended steps and the GPS is still malfunctioning. My guess is that something internally - internal memory - is corrupt or damaged.

Kind regards,
    Ina.
  • InaThiart
    Novice Seeker
    Hi,

You can close this thread please.

Kind regards,
    Ina.
  • nabu
     Superuser
    InaThiart wrote: »
    Hi,

Thank you to all you guys for support. I have tried all the recommended steps and the GPS is still malfunctioning. My guess is that something internally - internal memory - is corrupt or damaged.

Kind regards,
    Ina.

if this is the case you empty the corrupted element with image
    0ewxjefpymwi.png
  • InaThiart
    Novice Seeker
    Hi,
    Yes I have tried that many times after each unsuccessful attempt at getting the device fixed, and every time it will report back that there is no data to be removed. The TomTom device also do not appear as a Drive letter on the computer as mentioned elsewhere in the forums. That is why I suspect internal memory corruption or damage.

Kind regards,
    Ina.
  • nabu
     Superuser
    try to change the computer or go to a friend's house because you no longer have a card inside
    what is the capacity of the proposed card because you have little space

or put a zone only