Traffic not working

Comments

• Feckweed405
    Feckweed405 Registered Users Posts: 85
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    Agreed on Apple Maps really upping their game! Other than showing the delay times on CarPlay, I would say its super close plus with Siri search baked in there is no stopping to put in a destination!!
  • nigelbbb
    nigelbbb Registered Users Posts: 110
    Supreme Navigator
    loekf wrote: »
    TomTom releases 2.7, so did the fix for traffic actually make it into the build ?

(just asking before I try again in my car)

I really doubt it as no fix for the known problem with Traffic not working for some users is described in the Release Notes.
  • luke_m_rowe
    luke_m_rowe Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    I'm having the same problem. UK user on 3. iPhone 12 Pro Max. Traffic cuts out each time my phone changes from 3G/4G/5G depending on coverage. If I restart the app, it works, but then drops again once the network speed changes.

Sad that this remains unresolved. I'll be ending my subscription.
  • Preposterone
    Preposterone Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited August 2021
    Traffic STILL not working on 2.7. Oh the irony of adding a route bar to show there is no traffic!!
    I’m done. Have /had been a loyal TomTom user for many years with the single reason the Traffic function worked seamlessly.
    IPhone XR - Telstra - Australia
    Won’t be subscribing again.
  • loekf
    loekf Registered Users Posts: 64
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    Same here, still have to use VPN to see traffic data in version 2.7

Very disappointing, It is completely nonsense web services are no working for some of us and depending on a provider appearently.

(Netherlands, KPN, 4G/5G)
  • LarryM2619
    LarryM2619 Registered Users Posts: 10
    Master Explorer
    Hello, after installing the latest update to the iOS TomTom Go app (v2.7) the issue remains - Live Traffic does not register (not even start now). Have Reset Network Settings, ensured data and location sharing and that the subscription remains valid. Nothing.

Telstra (Australia), iPhone 12 with up to date iOS version.

Last update from a TomTom rep here was in mid July stating that the ticket remains open. Things is that this issue has been going for almost a year and it is incredible that TomTom still advertise and promote the Live Traffic feature, which does not work.

Interestingly other navigation apps do not have the same issue and the live traffic feed works. The issue is clearly TomTom's.

What is taking so long, and why do they inappropriately promote a feature that does not work?

'Thanks you for your patience' has run it's course and is just a brush off. Does TomTom not care about the people who are paying for almost nothing?
  • Haworthman75
    Haworthman75 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    I’m on Three using an iPhone SE 2020. I had both overheating and the traffic problem. Since 2.6 (and a couple of iOS updates) the overheating has stopped. As for traffic, I read in an earlier post that traffic would work if mobile data was set to roaming on and 3G only. This isn’t ideal but it works just fine. To speed things up I’ve made shortcuts on the home screen next to the TomTom icon to switch between 3G and 4G with one tap. Weird that it’s just the Three network. Why??!!
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,204
    Community Manager
    The team for the app is still waiting to have the cause of this issue fixed in our SDK (software development kit) for iOS that the app builds on. Unfortunately the fix version keeps shifting. At the moment it doesn't seem like it will make it into 2.8.
  • IMitch
    IMitch Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Seeker
    Re the TomTom App (iPhone) Live Traffic failure. Have TomTom considered/investigated an interoperability issue with various “3UK” vendors. This may explain the variability of the issue and the difficulty in reproducing it. I recently drove from the south coast of UK to Manchester and back again (over a few days) and noticed that Live Traffic worked north of Birmingham but failed approximately south of Tamworth (A5). I know 3UK have multiple vendors in their mobile network.
  • PeeWee123
    PeeWee123 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    Just to add that I am also with Three and am experiencing the exact same problem as everyone else. I only get traffic info over Wi-fi. As soon as my iPhone goes onto the cellular network, I loose it. I’m using version 2.7 of the iOS app on an iPhone 12 running 14.7.1. I agree the fault appears to be caused by ipv6 implementation. Using a VPN is a work around but not a reliable one as they can disconnect, leaving you with historical traffic data that could prove very misleading. TT has known about this fault for over a year and with their usual efficiency, have done absolutely nothing to code it out. I have used their products from the early days and clunky, inelegant coding has caused issues with most devices I have owned and this one is clearly no exception. I am fast approaching the end of the road with TT. My wife already has and is using Google maps. I’m hanging on as I have a lot of saved places and also a lot of motorcycles routes in Mydrive. This needs sorting out NOW!
  • PeeWee123
    PeeWee123 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    Jürgen wrote: »
    The team for the app is still waiting to have the cause of this issue fixed in our SDK (software development kit) for iOS that the app builds on. Unfortunately the fix version keeps shifting. At the moment it doesn't seem like it will make it into 2.8.

Unfortunately this isn’t surprising, given the lamentable track record TT has in this area. I’m amazed they’re still in business if I’m honest.
  • nigelbbb
    Supreme Navigator
    PeeWee123 wrote: »
    Just to add that I am also with Three and am experiencing the exact same problem as everyone else. I only get traffic info over Wi-fi. As soon as my iPhone goes onto the cellular network, I loose it. I’m using version 2.7 of the iOS app on an iPhone 12 running 14.7.1. I agree the fault appears to be caused by ipv6 implementation.

Why is it that only a small minority of users on Three in the UK & Telstra in Australia suffer this fault with IPV6 implementation?

I am on Three in the UK & Traffic works fine for me. As it's not a generic problem with all Three customers then shouldn't this be easy to figure out & fix? What is different about my iPhone or my Three account versus those that have a problem? If I put my working SIM into an iPhone that has the problem will it start working? Conversely if someone who has a problem puts their SIM into my phone will Traffic start working?
  • Intranets
    Intranets Registered Users Posts: 7
    Apprentice Traveler
    nigelbbb wrote: »
    Just to add that I am also with Three and am experiencing the exact same problem as everyone else. I only get traffic info over Wi-fi. As soon as my iPhone goes onto the cellular network, I loose it. I’m using version 2.7 of the iOS app on an iPhone 12 running 14.7.1. I agree the fault appears to be caused by ipv6 implementation.

Why is it that only a small minority of users on Three in the UK & Telstra in Australia suffer this fault with IPV6 implementation?

I am on Three in the UK & Traffic works fine for me. As it's not a generic problem with all Three customers then shouldn't this be easy to figure out & fix? What is different about my iPhone or my Three account versus those that have a problem? If I put my working SIM into an iPhone that has the problem will it start working? Conversely if someone who has a problem puts their SIM into my phone will Traffic start working?

It not the sim, as I put mine in another phone and it worked ok, but not before.
  • LarryM2619
    LarryM2619 Registered Users Posts: 10
    Master Explorer
    edited September 2021

Why is it then that TomTom continue to advertising the Live Traffic feature when they know that it is a problem (yes not for all, it seems) without giving any warning that it may not work? This is false advertising at best, maybe fraudulent?

Again, this has been going for nearly a year - the fix (which it seems is there) has continually failed to be included in updates .......
  • nigelbbb
    Supreme Navigator
    Intranets wrote: »
    nigelbbb wrote: »

It not the sim, as I put mine in another phone and it worked ok, but not before.

I wasn't suggesting that it was the SIM but putting the the SIM into another iPhone is all part of the process of isolating the source of the error. If Traffic works when the SIM is swapped that points to either the iPhone or more likely the software environment on that phone but then it's suspicious that of all the networks in the UK it's only some users on Three that we have seen reports of problems.
  • lukm
    lukm Registered Users Posts: 7
    Master Explorer

Can you provide some insight when this might be fixed? Months/ weeks? In the meantime I have cancelled and refunded my subscription and am using Apple Maps until this is fixed.
  • Lazydocker
    Lazydocker Registered Users Posts: 12
    Master Explorer
    I was logging in to see if anyone else was experiencing intermittent traffic but see this is a big deal - iPhone 12 on 3....

Is there a successful workaround? I rely on reliable traffic and TT normally provides it...
  • Lazydocker
    Lazydocker Registered Users Posts: 12
    Master Explorer
    Having read through this thread yesterday I tried a few things and today I have had reliable traffic updates all day.

I made sure I wasn't connected to WiFi when starting TT and switched on the VPN before launching the App for the first time - Having done this the traffic has worked all day. Not really a permanent solution but if it works it does at least make it usable again.
  • loekf
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    Lazydocker wrote: »
    Having read through this thread yesterday I tried a few things and today I have had reliable traffic updates all day.

I made sure I wasn't connected to WiFi when starting TT and switched on the VPN before launching the App for the first time - Having done this the traffic has worked all day. Not really a permanent solution but if it works it does at least make it usable again.

With VPN you are for sure using IPv4. I am using the same workaround.

I have dual SIM and when I am using my employer's subscription for data traffic
    works, when I am using my own subscription no traffic.

The difference is KPN (private subscription) has fully deployed IPv6, while the other (Vodafone) has not.

I find it hard to believe that it takes TT to fix a SDK more than a year. That is BS and incompetence.
  • lukm
    Master Explorer

The difference is KPN (private subscription) has fully deployed IPv6, while the other (Vodafone) has not.

I find it hard to believe that it takes TT to fix a SDK more than a year. That is BS and incompetence.

Out of interest. What VPN are you using for the workaround?
  • loekf
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    lukm wrote: »

Out of interest. What VPN are you using for the workaround?

I am using VyprVPN, it comes with a Giganews subscription.
  • karlblues2
    karlblues2 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Traveler
    Hi guys. Exactly the same issue here in Oz. Iphone 7. V14.7.1
    Traffic and Mydrive work on wi-fi. Do not work on 4G. I am on Telstra. Can someone please explain to me what the VPN app is and how that works? Is TomTom actually planning to fix this issue? If not, I am cancelling my subscription and might as well just use Google Maps. Cheers. Karl. Oz
  • Glen_B
    Glen_B Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Traveler
    Same issue for me, UK on 3 with iPhone 12. Traffic only works if I use the VPN and thereby force use of TCP/IP v4. Surely this should be a quick fix for TomTom to resolve.
  • Martygoose
    Martygoose Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Traveler
    Live traffic not working, can I get a fix ETA, doesn’t work on 4G , Telstra network.
  • lukm
    Master Explorer
    Martygoose wrote: »
    Live traffic not working, can I get a fix ETA, doesn’t work on 4G , Telstra network.

Welcome to the club
This discussion has been closed.