Rider 400 won't boot or update — TomTom Community

Rider 400 won't boot or update

tauzerotauzero Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
My Rider 400 will not start up. The progress bar at the bottom gets to about halfway across and then stops. After a while, I get a whirling circle, and then icons of computer and Rider with a red cross. I have tried restart multiple times, both to the drumbeat and to the text screen, pressing three times after that appears, and it still won't connect. Progress bar only gets to halfway whether it's powered by USB or in the cradle. I have tried on two different PCs, on different USB ports (which are direct on the computers, not in a hub). Have used both genuine lead and generic USB lead.

It was fully working at the start of July. I used it a fortnight ago or so, and it didn't link up with my bluetooth headset, but I thought that might be an issue with the pairing in the headset.

Doing updates on it has always been a quite painful business, but I think that's the extraordinarily poor quality of Tomtom's software rather than an issue with the device itself.

Is there anything else I can do to try and get it restarted? I've tried asking on the "Contact Us" chat, but the chatbot just gives me useless links to soft reset and factory reset pages, and there's no facility to email Tomtom (regardless of what they say). The support page is broken too, it keeps telling me to sign in when I'm already signed in.

Answers

• LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 16,733
    Superusers
    Did you have a memory card on your device?
    If yes, then take it out and try again.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,336
    Superusers
    edited September 4
    Hi
    @Lochfrass + @tauzero
    tauzero wrote: »
    My Rider 400 will not start up. The progress bar at the bottom gets to about halfway across and then stops. After a while, I get a whirling circle, and then icons of computer and Rider with a red cross. I have tried restart multiple times, both to the drumbeat and to the text screen, pressing three times after that appears, and it still won't connect. Progress bar only gets to halfway whether it's powered by USB or in the cradle (Snip)
    I had exactly the same fault happen to me ??? I've been using various Tomtom devices for 10 + years, and never had a problem using Recovery Mode, for me, it has always just worked !!!
    The other day I was updating the Full Europe Map on my GO 5000, all seemed to go as normal but when the device restarted I had the spinning disc and the Recovery Mode screen of a PC/Red Cross & Tomtom Icon.... the device was already connected over USB + MyDrive connect... I did get the count-up MyDrive Connect 0 to 100% screen, but when the GO 5000 re-booted the device was locked into a continuous Recovery Mode loop....
    After several, restarts, I noticed the long delay at the mid-point on the start-up progress bar... Normally, there is a slight but hardly noticeable pause at the mid-point on the start-up progress bar (I Think the device is checking if a Memory card is installed ???)....

I turned off and disconnected the GO 5000 then removed the 32 GB Memory card....
    Re-Connected the device to USB and turned it on... the device started, the progress bar was normal, I had the spinning disc and the Recovery Mode screen of a PC/Red Cross/Tomtom Icon... The MyDrive Connect screen displayed the 0 to 100% count-up & the device booted-up OK onto the UK & ROI Map on the on-board Memory.....

Checked the Memory card, it reported a error... I Slow Formatted the Memory card fat32, the Go 5000 recognized & formatted the card... Then I Installed the Full Europe Map, all Good....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • tauzerotauzero Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the suggestions. It turned out it was the memory card, at least to some degree. I'd tried rebooting without the memory card using USB unsuccessfully, so I assumed that wasn't the problem, but I tried rebooting in the cradle without the memory card and it worked. Then I did a full factory reset.

Now the only problem left is the 100% downloaded - checking stage, which it's stuck on. Memory card is still out. This is a new installation of Mydrive Connect. Have completely closed down Connect through Task Manager, cleared out the cache folder with the download files in it, and soft reset the device, but still stuck there.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,336
    Superusers
    Hi
    @tauzero
    As Recovery Mode has Automatically Started on your device
    MyDrive Connect >> MUST << be running on your PC, and be capable of displaying as >> CONNECTED << in MyDrive Connect...
    The device MUST be connected to your PC using the supplied USB Cable with MyDrive Connect running in the background for the Recovery process to complete....

Maybe worth trying ???
    If I'm having problems with MyDrive Connect....
    I find deleting the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in the MyDrive Connect Program will usually bring MyDrive Connect back to life...
    Follow the Step-by step instructions Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1134289/connection-problems-mydrive-connect-delete-the-home3-mydrive-connect-folders

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • tauzerotauzero Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks - it hasn't helped though.

This is what I did:

Shut down MyDrive Connect (all processes)
    Deleted HOME3 & Mydrive Connect folders
    Rebooted PC
    Stopped device
    Left device unconnected
    Ran MyDrive Connect & logged in
    Left option 2 checked, unchecked 1 & 3
    View updates - 5 available including Nav4
    Connected device
    Logged in to Mydrive Connect again (why did it forget I was logged in within a two minutes?)
    Device shows connected, Mydrive Connect says device is not responding and to disconnect and reconnect
    Disconnected & reconnected, shows connected
    Selected Nav4 only & started update
    After a couple of hours, completed download and went into checking
    Stuck in 100% downloaded, checking

I think the next step is stick it on Ebay and get a Garmin Nuvo XT. It's OK when it's working but the supporting software is absolutely appalling. I've been developing software for 40 years and I'd be utterly ashamed if I produced something this bad.