Sim Card will Not Connect, No Traffic & No GPRS

Ronnie_Vincent1955
Ronnie_Vincent1955 Registered Users Posts: 10
Master Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Hi, got a TomTom Premium 5" that is just 1 year old and had a few problems a couple of weeks ago with traffic not showing and would not connect very easily to my phone on bluetooth either. Ran checks on it today and the settings show both Traffic & Speed Camera accounts are active but still no show of Sim Card or GPRS. Done all the usual troubleshooting, soft reset and a full reset without success. The warranty literally expired on the 14th! Any suggestions what to try next?

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,818
    Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hi
    @Ronnie_Vincent1955
    Welcome to the site....
    GPRS SIM connection on the Tomtom Live devices....
    There are 3 Data connection options that can have a higher/priority/override the Built-in GPRS SIM....
    To check the Data Connection status....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About…
    Scroll down to Data Connection & GPRS Status....
    What does the device report...???
    Is the GPRS Status... Connected ???

Further Info...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1752190/#Comment_1752190

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Ronnie_Vincent1955
    Master Traveler
    Further to my previous post, can anybody tell me how to contact TomTom Support? When you click on the relevant link button it simply brings you back to the discussions page? Need them to check out the SIM.
    TomTom Go Premium 5"
    Serial Number: ZR1209100907 (0)
    belongs to one of my drivers so may be registered under a different name (can supply account details if required) but she cannot even get to log into her account?
  • Ronnie_Vincent1955
    Master Traveler
    YazFazMan
    Shows:
    Data Connection: None
    GPRS Status: Disconnected
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hi Again....
    Note... Australia & Switzerland have ended the 2G phone services so no GPRS SIM signal....

Tomtom video shows what you can do when the Traffic services are not working on your navigation device....

Be aware that a Live Device... The SIM card is automatically deactivated if the Live Traffic on the device has NOT been used for 18 months....
    Tomtom sends emails to the affected users and give 28 days notice before deactivating the SIM card... in the above circumstance the deactivated SIM cannot be reactivated....

Maybe worth consideration if the device is out of guarantee....... I think the SIM contacts oxidize over time and removing and replacing the SIM a few times remakes the connection....

The SIM cards for the Live NAV3, NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices are located under concealed flaps and/or stickers in various location on the devices....
    On the GO 5200/6200/Premium... The SIM Card is situated under the sticker bearing the serial number....
    acrlkaji0g4o.jpg
    I think the SIM contacts tarnish/oxidize over time, and removing and replacing the SIM a few times remakes the connection....
    With the device turned OFF...
    Carefully remove the sticker... It's advisable to use Antistatic precautions when handling the SIM... You will need a pair of fine pointed tweezers to remove the SIM....
    If you pull out the SIM a little way, and reinsert it, repeat this a few times, it should now remake a good connection....
    I used double-sided sticky tape to replace the Serial Number sticker....

Warning... The above will void your Tomtom guarantee....
    All the usual disclaimers apply, all the above is at your own discretion

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • Ronnie_Vincent1955
    Master Traveler
    YazFazMan
    Also have checked out all the support / video / discussions before posting. Last time I had this sort of problem with connections on one of my 6 TomTom's, the GO5220 the support line reconfigured it on the server and that cured the issue. But, do appreciate your input.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hi Ronnie....
    Further to my previous post, can anybody tell me how to contact TomTom Support? (Snip)
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

Using Firefox here, all OK...

Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Ronnie_Vincent1955
    Master Traveler
    YamFazMan
    Followed your links but, as I said way back, it just keeps looping to the discussion page? It maybe that because it's only Monday to Friday it is 'switched off' at the weekend so they don't come into hundreds or thousands of emails with queries. Will try again on Tuesday (Bank Holiday in the UK) and see what happens then
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,851
    Superuser
    Hi @Ronnie_Vincent1955

If you Tap Support at the top of this page if you do not sign in top right of the next page before Tapping Contact us you will go round in a circle.

After signing in then Tapping Contact Us the Help box that appears will have Get in touch appear in it after a few seconds

Tap Get in touch and out of Chat hours you should get an Email option.

If it does not work as I say then try another Browser.

Doug
  • lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,960
    edited August 2021
    Hi @Ronnie_Vincent1955

I checked this with the team and found no connection for your SIM card in the backend. They made some changes, can you please make a reset on your device and test again to see if it works for you?

Otherwise, please get in touch with our support as YamFazMan and Doug mentioned above.

Best, lampard
  • HelenLedger
    HelenLedger Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    Is anybody able to help with contacting support?! I have tried all the links, clicked all the right buttons, tried to get on Live Chat and despite being logged in it just keeps asking me to log in. Please, Please TomTom all I want is an email address to email you the problem, WHY DO YOU NOT PUBLISH THE EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!!!!
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,417
    Revered Voyager
    How to contact TomTom customer support by email

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000679560
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @HelenLedger
    Welcome to the site
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • halo572
    halo572 Registered Users Posts: 20
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Is anybody able to help with contacting support?! I have tried all the links, clicked all the right buttons, tried to get on Live Chat and despite being logged in it just keeps asking me to log in. Please, Please TomTom all I want is an email address to email you the problem, WHY DO YOU NOT PUBLISH THE EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!!!!

Just the same loop you get stuck in with webchat - you submit your email, you get your support number, you get fobbed off as having no problem, irrespective that their own staff have admitted that the sims have been deactivated on the server side.

Truly appalling and award winningly bad customer non-service.

Before this I wouldn't have understood the 1.3 on Trustpilot, 15 years no problems.

Now I consider Tom Tom to be a cowboy multinational, which you have to admire they have got away with it for so long.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,851
    Superuser
    Hi @halo572

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then HAVE to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and after a few seconds Get in Touch also appears
    Tap Get in Touch
    You are now offered Chat.. If Chat is closed, ie its not normal working hours Mon/Fri, it will tell you the hours that it will be available. Outside Working hours you will be offered an email option.

Chat is busy you may have to try a few times.

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug