Why are the maps so out of date?

Sky_Lord
Sky_Lord Registered Users Posts: 85
Renowned Wayfarer
Hi. Been a user of TomTom Go on the iPhone for many years and it’s becoming increasingly annoying. Why is it that the maps take years to update, I know we can make corrections but sometimes the changes I’ve put in have been denied and speed limits as a result are so out of date. Road layouts have changed years ago still don’t show.

This is a paid for subscription yet it’s so poor, TomTom AmiGO which is free has more up to date maps, it has a new road layouts close to where I live yet the TomTom Go doesn’t and this new road layout is just over a year old. Why if Waze can do it free of charge within days, why can’t the mobile TomTom Go not have it?

Why also has the M4 been renamed the E30 again after a campaign to get rid of it years ago. I understand this is what it’s called in Europe, but the truth is there isn’t a single sign in the U.K. that has the M4 labelled as the E30.

Also business addresses are not very accurate.

This is so poor for a premium subscription.

Comments

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,116
    Superuser
    Hi @Sky_Lord

I am in the UK and have the latest version of the TT Go Navigation App on my iPhone and it labels the M4 as the M4 as it does in My Drive and E30 does not appear!!!

Doug
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 480
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Sky_Lord @DougLap

If I plan a journey towards Reading, the overview using the TT Go Navigation App Version 2.6.1, the App shows the Motorway as the M4, but dependant on the "magnification" it is also listed as the E30......... B)

5v0n63ibmfe9.jpg

(There are various other examples of this along the route)

Not noticed this anomaly on the MyDrive app as I only use it to plan a route and send the destination to my device.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Lost_Soul

So it does. If I have to look the close I probably shouldn't be driving.😂😂

Doug
  • Sky_Lord
    Renowned Wayfarer
    edited August 2021
    🤣

I remembered several years ago this happened and eventually we did get it removed from the map and it was correctly labelled M4. I think it’s the only motorway in the U.K. that still shows up the E30 on the map, all the others are correctly labelled, no idea why they have put it back.

Still doesn’t explain why TomTom AmiGO has a very up to date map and TomTom GO doesn’t.

• Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 480
    Supreme Pioneer
    The E30 also extends through East London /Essex on the A12 on its way across Europe to the Russian city of Omsk and I have seen E30 signs on various TT devices when travelling along the A12 :)

Although the United Kingdom Government participates fully in activities concerning the E-routes, E-routes are supposedly not signposted within the United Kingdom, but I have a vague recollection I did see an E30 sign physically on a signpost; probably on the A12 in East London in July 2016........

I recall that day vividly as this was my first journey planned using a Tomtom device and it was not a good start as the TT directed me into closed roads, did not detect traffic delays either at all or correctly and even could not detect a closed Motorway!

I reported all these issues to TT's Customer Care Team and was told they would be investigated and I would be updated, the query was marked as solved a few days later when it clearly was not! :s

Sadly some 5 years later most of these issues still persist and it is touch n go whether I revert fully back to Garmin but there are some small redeeming features that I do like on the Tomtom, so will continue to the annoyance of my wife to have both devices operating in tandem. B)
  • Palferman
    Palferman Registered Users Posts: 131
    Supreme Navigator
    Hi @Sky_Lord

The E5, E15 and E30 are also shown the map if you get the magnification right
  • Sky_Lord
    Renowned Wayfarer
    When will the actual map update? Not the pathetic one they do every week. I see for the standalone units and TomTom AmiGo there maps are up to date, but the actual mobile TomTom Go map is years out of date. There is a junction not far away from me that used to be a roundabout, it’s been turned into a new junction with new roads attached, TomTom AmiGO and the main TomTom units have this, but TomTom Go on the mobile still has the roundabout that’s been gone for over a year. Why?
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Sky_Lord

Try reporting the difference via the Mapshare Reporter.

Doug
  • eddydc
    eddydc Registered Users Posts: 298
    Exalted Navigator
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Sky_Lord

Doug

No need to do so if AmiGo shows the correct info.
  • Sky_Lord
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Hi @Sky_Lord

Doug

Problem is on the Mapshare the map is correct, on TomTom AmiGO the map is correct but the TomTom Go mobile that you pay to use is wrong. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just travelled down the B4265 in the Vale of Glamorgan, the road layout changed around 9 years ago and it’s still not updated on the mobile map, however TomTom mapshare its correct and it’s correct on AmiGo.

9i0ws3dxcwrw.png
    as4ul2xxkgav.png

• Feckweed405
    Feckweed405 Registered Users Posts: 85
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    edited August 2021
    I just spot checked the latest maps with version 2.7 for my area (oklahoma city area USA) and the points of interest are at least 1 year out of date and the roads seem to be a few months out of date. With free apps like Apple and Google maps and Waze updating in near real time, TT go maps are lagging behind.
  • loekf
    loekf Registered Users Posts: 64
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    Also not impressed here in The Netherlands. In my area, 2.7 has better maps, but for streets with houses and buildings built during the last 1-2 years the numbering is incomplete or missing.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hi @Sky_Lord

On my IPhone TT Nav App I see the junction as your second picture not with the roundabout.

Doug
  • Feckweed405
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    loekf wrote: »
    Also not impressed here in The Netherlands. In my area, 2.7 has better maps, but for streets with houses and buildings built during the last 1-2 years the numbering is incomplete or missing.

Thanks for that information!

I just checked and a major boulevard in our city that was completed last September is still incomplete without any of the new businesses, whereas on Apple and Google maps seem pretty up to date.

On a nearby turnpike around 2 years ago a service center with a restaurant and a gas station was moved and TT still have the old location and POIs. Again this is marked correctly on Google and Apple Maps.

A new spur of a nearby turnpike was opened in the spring and TT does have it, thankfully.

TLDR; POIs in SC US are very dated, streets seem better and maybe only a little out of date.
  • Sky_Lord
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Hi @Sky_Lord

On my IPhone TT Nav App I see the junction as your second picture not with the roundabout.

Doug

Hi mate. I had a message yesterday to say an update has happened to CarPlay. I loaded TomTom for the first time in a week and it said it needed a major map update. It’s now finally been updated. According to the App Store the app has had an update to move the maps across to full NDS maps.

Hopefully it will be better now going forward.
  • Feckweed405
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    Can confirm in SC US, route updates are a month or two out of date and POIs are at least a year, maybe two out of date. It’s weird because some fuel stations and restaurants that have opened in the past year are there but many POIs that have long closed still show up.

With Apple, Google and Waze getting almost real time updates, this is a large drawback for TT. Let’s hope the new types of updates cure that. Nothing yet with the first map updates.
  • HappyDuck999
    HappyDuck999 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Seeker
    It is June 2022. I used TomTom about a decade ago and recently I am back with TomTom because I wanted a dedicated satnav device. In between, I was using Waze and something Google Maps on my phone for my navigational needs. I thought after about ten years TomTom satnav standards would be on par with the other big (and FREE!) services. And so I bought the TomTom Discover - 7 inch (one of the most expensive TomTom devices I know of at the moment). While the physical device is beautiful, chipset is fast, the dash mount is top quality with clever clip-on charging, the software map quality is seriously very bad! Since I switched to TomTom, I unintentionally drove into the Congestion Charge zone, received fines for driving into residential/cycle-only streets and had to constantly stop following the guided routes because of blocked/non-existent roads which lead to much longer travelling times. Despite of submitting countless correction on MapShare, maps on my TomTom Discover never get updated! For some corrections I made, I saw these corrections made on the maps on MapShare/online TomTom/Amigo apps but these corrections have yet to appear on the TomTom Discover! I am seriously considering going back to using free apps on my phone or switch to some aftermarket Android Auto/Carplay dash mounted device!
  • tackletart
    tackletart Registered Users Posts: 8
    Master Traveler
    I must admit, I have no confidence in TT regarding the congestion zones or London street changes. I'm always ending up down streets blocked off with bollards