No option in MDC to install to micro sd card

daved111
daved111 Registered Users Posts: 20
Master Explorer
No option in MDC to install to micro SD card, formatted to fat 32, then formatted in device shows up in MDC as free space at top of page but when you go to map options its full install or smaller map only no tag to install to card.
Thanks Dave

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,969
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hi
    @daved111
    Format the Card to fat32 on a PC
    Insert the Memory card into the Start 20
    The Start 20 should recognize the card and offer to format the Card For Maps....

If the card is not recognized...
    With the Memory card inserted into the Start 20
    Try... RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound, then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC

The device should then restart and recognize the card and offer to format the Card for Maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • daved111
    Master Explorer
    Hi YFM, Thanks for quick reply, Formatted again to FAT32 full format
    put card in device it formatted successfully did the hold button for drum roll ok, connected to MDC still the same, click on the map it showed two tabs one saying change click on this the option is to install a smaller map to the device memory another saying install full map no tab or option to install to sdhc card. MDC can see the card as at the top of the page it is in black stating the free space on memory card.

Thanks Dave
  • daved111
    Master Explorer
    Hi the question has not been answered as it is still the same no tab or indicator to load to sd card although it is recognised by MDC problem still exists cant load maps to sd card as no tab.

Thanks Dave
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hi
    @daved111
    There are 3 versions of the Start 20....

e06ju2pawf4p.jpg
    2 GB onboard memory (End of Life)
    4 GB onboard memory (Catch22 memory storage problem)
    8 GB onboard memory (OK)
    The 4GB Start 20 has the Catch22 memory storage problem where the respective full Europe Map size now exceeds the onboard memory size....
    See this workaround... Catch22 NAV3... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1742719/#Comment_1742719

If you are still having problems, post back here :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,130
    Superuser
    edited August 2021
    @daved111

You will not be offered to load a map on the memory stick unless the internal memory is to small to take it, the memory stick is only used to store maps and routes not POIs or voices
  • daved111
    Master Explorer
    Hi Niall, thanks I selected a smaller map then updated to latest version then selected full map Europe installed that all ok bit time consuming to do update but a work around, still no option for sd card, so problem solved until next update when I will have to go through process again.

Thanks for everyone's input,
    Dave

• YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hi
    @daved111
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :) and that the Workaround was successful....
    The next Map update should work as normal....
    I suggest you do not uninstall the smaller map that' should be installed on the internal memory, as it will also act as a 'Keeper'
    This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid repeating the Catch22 situation.....

To help others in the community with similar problems....
    If my reply answered your question ???
    Then on my Reply... Please answer 'Yes'
    To... Did this answer the question? 'Yes'< >' No'

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • csoni28
    csoni28 Registered Users Posts: 7
    Master Traveler
    Hi
    I have the same problem as daved111. I can’t install map to SD card but MDC recognize the card. The only difference is, my device is a start52. Memory card brand is an Intenso and 16GB capacity. I’ve tried formatting to FAT32 2 or 3 times(with different computer).

“No option in MDC to install to micro sd card
    daved111
    Master Explorer
    August 2021
    No option in MDC to install to micro SD card, formatted to fat 32, then formatted in device shows up in MDC as free space at top of page but when you go to map options its full install or smaller map only no tag to install to card”.