Getting lost without a phone or router — TomTom Community

Getting lost without a phone or router

Hi. I have a TOMTOM GO BASIC. My question is this:
With my old satnav, if I got caught out somewhere and got lost, I could expand the map on the device and tap on a point with a biro and the device would set up a route to there from wherever I was. It would be approximate, but it would get me somewhere sensible that I could plan better from. I could also get that lat/long as a co-ordinate from the device.

I've been trying to do this on my TOMTOM, but without success.

If I don't have access to a local wifi or a mobile phone can TOMTOM achieve this?

Thank you.

Best Answer

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,171
    Superuser
    edited August 23 Accepted Answer
    Hi @MichaelJH

Not sure if this is what you want but if you locate a position on the map and press the screen for a second or so the Position is then marked. Along with the mark you get a menu which says Drive however next to Drive are 3 vertical dots. Tap the Dots and you can get another menu where you can select this point to be the start of a journey. If you do that then you return to the map screen and can do the same or select Menu/Search and find a destination. Once you have selected that then the unit will create a route from your selected Start point. If you choose to then Select Drive the unit will work out a route from where you are to the start then along the route

One other thing you could consider is the Mapcode App on your phone. If you put the App in Hybrid mode the map is like Google Satellite view and you can move the map around and place the cursor over an exact position. This then gives you a Mapcode, Long/Lat and address for the position. You can enter any of the 3 options into your device and it will create a route too it. Mapcodes can give you an exact position within approximately the area if a carparking bay anywhere in the World.

As you are in the U.K. if you enter DH.FX in search it will take you to the middle gate at the front of Buckingham Palace.

Doug

Answers

• MichaelJHMichaelJH Posts: 11 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks Nabu. It's not about where I am, but where I'm going. So I understand you to be saying that I can't do this with a TOMTOM, I can only type in a location to go to using text. Is that right, or have I misunderstood.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,171
    Superuser
    edited August 23 Accepted Answer
    Hi @MichaelJH

Not sure if this is what you want but if you locate a position on the map and press the screen for a second or so the Position is then marked. Along with the mark you get a menu which says Drive however next to Drive are 3 vertical dots. Tap the Dots and you can get another menu where you can select this point to be the start of a journey. If you do that then you return to the map screen and can do the same or select Menu/Search and find a destination. Once you have selected that then the unit will create a route from your selected Start point. If you choose to then Select Drive the unit will work out a route from where you are to the start then along the route

One other thing you could consider is the Mapcode App on your phone. If you put the App in Hybrid mode the map is like Google Satellite view and you can move the map around and place the cursor over an exact position. This then gives you a Mapcode, Long/Lat and address for the position. You can enter any of the 3 options into your device and it will create a route too it. Mapcodes can give you an exact position within approximately the area if a carparking bay anywhere in the World.

As you are in the U.K. if you enter DH.FX in search it will take you to the middle gate at the front of Buckingham Palace.

Doug
  • MichaelJHMichaelJH Posts: 11 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Right. Thanks DougLap.

I'm going to give that a try in the morning.

I must say to you and Nabu, and others that have commented, that I find the speed and efficiency of your responses does give me confidence and makes up for the other shortcomings.

Also, I should study the instructions more, but that's very time-consuming. We're all so busy we don't have time to study things that we buy, or is that just me?