Recovery Mode won't Boot

Batman_Penguin66
Batman_Penguin66 Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Tomtom Supreme 6" bought sept 2020. Used once and stored. Now it starts and goes into connect mode with no apps. Tried press and hold and get the black screen with white letters then push 3 times never brings it to a spinning circle or a cog image. Connecting it to my drive it says restoring but once it reaches 100% device reboots, My drive disappears and if you pull up my drive it says no internet and always says connecting or unconnected to the device. Tried uninstalling drivers, reinstalling my drive. Beginning to look like the most expensive tomtom I ever got is a use once and toss in the trash. Anyone seen this and remedies?

Answers

• Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,115
    Superuser
    @Batman_Penguin66

Before you try another reboot please leave your device on charge for at least 2 hours on charger that delivers a 2amp minimum charge rate. Then connect to your PC running the latest version of MyDriveConnect before starting the reinstall process
  • Batman_Penguin66
    Apprentice Seeker
    Did the 2 hour charge and reinstalled my drive multiple times. My old tomtom device connects and was taking it's update until I got kicked off with a message saying tomtom servers were too busy. Hope I don't have 2 tomtom paperweights on my hands. Thought I could maybe get by with the old one on un upcoming trip. Beginning to look like it'll have to be google maps phone app instead.
  • twoodysr
    twoodysr Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I am having the same problem, and I did charge for three hours. It never brings it to a spinning circle or a cog image, it says restoring but once it reaches 100% device it disconnects and disappears.
  • Batman_Penguin66
    Apprentice Seeker
    RE: twoodysr: Sounds like you got the same thing. I had put it away for several months and got back out to get it ready for an upcoming trip. tomtom support escalated me to teir 2 support. Sounds like I'll have to send it in for repair. Last they asked for date of purchase SN and my address. Guess I'm lucky my old tomtom still works.
  • BigW
    BigW Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    I have a TomTom Go 520 and am having the same problem as twoodysr
    The unit does not update just goes in a cycle between restoring and failing to load maps. Tried pressing 3 times etc but still not working.
    I’m in Australia, TomTom have made it very difficult to contact them directly. Their 1300 number is is disconnected.
    Very disappointed in the level of service TomTom offers.
  • Batman_Penguin66
    Apprentice Seeker
    Guess the drive must be corrupt. They had me send mine in and they're sending me a new one. I guess since it's under a year old and only used it on one road trip. I'm still wondering if anything could have caused bit to crash. Can't imagine it's from not using it for a few months.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,817
    Superuser
    edited September 2021
    Hi
    @twoodysr
    @BigW
    Welcome to the site...
    It looks like something happened to crash the operating system, and that the Recovery Mode may have automatically started on your device....

Note... The Recovery Mode procedure will >> NOT << work with the device connected over Wi-Fi....
    For Recovery Mode to work, MyDrive Connect >> MUST << be running on your PC, and be capable of displaying as >> CONNECTED << in MyDrive Connect...
    The device MUST be connected to your PC using the supplied USB Cable with MyDrive Connect running in the background for the Recovery process to complete....

Installing MyDrive Connect....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

See Tomtom FAQ... Navigation device not starting or displaying a cross....
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959579-Navigation-device-not-starting-or-displaying-a-cross
    If Recovery mode has Auto Started, it will bypass the Text screen and the 3 presses of the power button... And will already be at a stage of Recovery somewhere between the 'Spinning-disk' image shown in bullet point (5) and the bullet point (7) image showing the recovery progress count up to 100%

Once Recovery Mode is initiated, and if a connection to MyDrive Connect has NOT established... Recovery Mode will continue to attempt to connect to MDC until the Server eventually times-out....
    Any attempts at a Restart of the device... Recovery Mode will continue to attempt to connect to MDC until the Server eventually times-out

You may need to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19, the phone service has been suspended
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

See… Step by Step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

If all else fails ??? Maybe try....
    If I'm having problems with MyDrive Connect....
    I find deleting the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in the MyDrive Connect Program will usually bring MyDrive Connect back to life...
    See Step-by step instructions Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1134289/connection-problems-mydrive-connect-delete-the-home3-mydrive-connect-folders

Stay Safe... ATB YFM