Speed symbol size

Nigel2129
Nigel2129 Registered Users Posts: 4
New Seeker
Hi
I do not wear glasses for riding or driving but do wear glasses for reading so I do find the speed symbol just a little too small when riding due to visor etc so is there anyway at all to increase the size Of the symbol a little?
(the zoom only increases the map of course)
Thanks

Best Answers

• kieron
    kieron Posts: 538
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi there @Nigel2129 -

There is no facility within the menu system to increase the size of the speed symbol.
  • TigerRider
    TigerRider Registered Users Posts: 169
    Exalted Navigator
    Answer ✓
    @Nigel2129 , a suggestion...

Mine was a similar problem and I solved it with a pair of bi-focal glasses but with a mid-range prescription that put things at my SatNav, speedo etc in focus instead of the more normal and closer reading prescription. Basically stuff at arms length where the bars are.

As I also needed the main focus for seeing where I was going the secondary lens are set very low in the frame so I don't need to move my head to check the dials and Navigator. Credit for this solution goes to a biker lady I met in the States.

So, either bi-focals or granny glasses. Works for me.
  • TigerRider
    Exalted Navigator
    Answer ✓
    @YamFazMan @Nigel2129 as outlined here before I've tried high spec vari-focals but they wouldn't work for me but strangely the next spec down did but I found/find they don't provide adequate vision at the extremes of eye movement and my ageing neck doesn't help. Found using them its all too easy not to see stuff coming at tight junctions.

So its vari-focals for everything else but my trusty special bi-focals on my Tiger plus they are a more sensible price. Also wire frames/arms to slide easily into my lid.

Answers

• kieron
    kieron Posts: 538
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi there @Nigel2129 -

There is no facility within the menu system to increase the size of the speed symbol.
  • Nigel2129
    New Seeker
    Ok many thanks for confirming as I thought
  • TigerRider
    Exalted Navigator
    Answer ✓
    @Nigel2129 , a suggestion...

Mine was a similar problem and I solved it with a pair of bi-focal glasses but with a mid-range prescription that put things at my SatNav, speedo etc in focus instead of the more normal and closer reading prescription. Basically stuff at arms length where the bars are.

As I also needed the main focus for seeing where I was going the secondary lens are set very low in the frame so I don't need to move my head to check the dials and Navigator. Credit for this solution goes to a biker lady I met in the States.

So, either bi-focals or granny glasses. Works for me.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,797
    Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hi All
    +1.…
    I wear glasses with Kodak Varifocal lenses...
    Great for distance & close-work, Kodak Varifocal lenses also have a wide field of vision....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Nigel2129
    New Seeker
    Many thanks both, I was thinking about trying bi focals so I’ll give this a go
  • TigerRider
    Exalted Navigator
    Answer ✓
    @YamFazMan @Nigel2129 as outlined here before I've tried high spec vari-focals but they wouldn't work for me but strangely the next spec down did but I found/find they don't provide adequate vision at the extremes of eye movement and my ageing neck doesn't help. Found using them its all too easy not to see stuff coming at tight junctions.

So its vari-focals for everything else but my trusty special bi-focals on my Tiger plus they are a more sensible price. Also wire frames/arms to slide easily into my lid.
  • Nigel2129
    New Seeker
    Yeah agree thanks all the same
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,797
    Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hi
    @TigerRider
    TigerRider wrote: »
    @YamFazMan @Nigel2129 as outlined here before I've tried high spec varifocals, but they wouldn't work for me but strangely the next spec down did, but I found/find they don't provide adequate vision at the extremes of eye movement and my ageing neck doesn't help. Found using them, it's all too easy not to see stuff coming at tight junctions.
    That's why I suggested >> Kodak << Varifocal lenses, they have the widest field of vision... My periphery vision is perfect....
    I did try a pair of Varifocal lenses from 'Spec Savers' (They could not supply Kodak lenses) They were dreadful, it was like looking into a tunnel, the periphery vision was very blurred, I rejected the glasses...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TigerRider
    Exalted Navigator
    @YamFazMan I am reminded that some countries require a spare set of specs to be carried. The expensive Kodaks can be in the back while the cheap bi-focals can be on the nose and be prescribed specifically for the job. Sorted.

Also, by having a cheap pair for the bike there's no chance of breaking/stressing the expensive pair getting one's hat on and off.