Paid annual subscription for Android app but can't redeem it. — TomTom Community

Paid annual subscription for Android app but can't redeem it.

The money for my annual subscription has been taken from my account, but I can't redeem it on the App and is now saying I only have 47 free miles.
My service should last till October 2020.
Tried contacting TomTom support by email, but hopeless.
Had a reply saying the contact form was not sent to the right customer services dept, but did not give any information as to where the inquiry should be sent.
Rubbish customer service.

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,691 Moderator
    Hi @Scotscot99

Welcome to the Community! The email address which you used to log in here on the Community only has an expired subscription. Maybe you renewed the subscription with the different email account?

Regards, lampard
  • GerryhoptonGerryhopton Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I renewed today 29 April PayPal say TomTom paid but can't restore purchase to phone app
    Hi @Gerryhopton

Welcome to the Community! Are you using the Go Mobile App or the new GO Navigation App? By any chance, you used any other e-mail address to purchase the subscription then you used to log in here?

Best, lampard
  • palajajapalajaja Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Purchased tomtom go navigation, cannot redeem it via android app. Same login as my account here.
  • fredboekfredboek Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This is also my problem, extremely frustrating that end-users have to do debugging at this level.
    I bought a 12 month subscription on july 9th 2021 using exactly the same email address for both TomTom as well as the Playstore. While the Playstore correctly registers the subscription, the app remains ignorant and will expire in a couple of days as my 'free term' is almost over. Can you believe this stupidity?? After studying the fora, a certain lampard suggests a number of steps to be taken, like stopping the Playstore app, clearing the cache, etc., etc. I followed all those steps meticulously and it brought nothing. What a waste of time! For me it is clear that TomTom has no clue what the real underlying cause for this malfunction truly is....
    At any rate, I cannot accept having paid for an app that does not work! So please solve my problem before the app dies, or (preferred) send back my 12,99 Euro. I am really, really disappointed in TomTom!
    Hi there, @palajaja

Where did you purchase the subscription? App Store or Google playstore?

Best, lampard
    edited July 26
    Hi @fredboek

Welcome to the Community! Are you getting this 'Renew your subscriptions' message on your Android Auto screen? If that's the issue, the fix will be available soon. See here

The steps which you saw earlier were for a bug with the Playstore App. This happens when the play store app doesn't report that there are purchases and this can have multiple reasons (most likely because you have multiple Google accounts on your phone).

Best, lampard
    Dear Lampard, thanks for your reactions. I bought the subscription in the Google Playstore on july 9th; I am not using Android Auto, the app on the phone simply states that my free period will end in a few days. If I click on subsriptions in the Go navigation app, it only mentions three possible subscriptions, but if I click on 'Manage' (in dutch 'Beheer'), it brings me to the Google playstore, which says I have an active subsription untill 9th of july 2022. Despite this, the app thinks I am not entitled to this app. Also in TomTom Mydrive, I see no active subsription appearing. There is just one account on my phone which uses exactly the same email address as the TomTom account. (of course the passwords for the Gmail account and the TomTom account are different, but both use the same email address. By far the most simple solution to this problem is that you activate my account until 9th of july 2022. I can privately send you the proof of payment to the Google Playstore. Please help me get this app fully functioning as I rely on it for my holidays. Thanks in advance! Regards, Fred.
    Thank you @fredboek for explaining this further! I think this is a bit odd since you can see an active subscription on Google play but for some reason , App not recognizing it

The subscriptions are handled by Google with the new GO Navigation app so you won't be able to see them under TomTom account which in your case is similar to the google one.

I need to check this with my team, I'll let you know if there's anything else.

Best, lampard
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 465
    Staff
    edited July 28
    fredboek wrote: »
    Dear Lampard, thanks for your reactions. I bought the subscription in the Google Playstore on july 9th; I am not using Android Auto, the app on the phone simply states that my free period will end in a few days. If I click on subsriptions in the Go navigation app, it only mentions three possible subscriptions, but if I click on 'Manage' (in dutch 'Beheer'), it brings me to the Google playstore, which says I have an active subsription untill 9th of july 2022. Despite this, the app thinks I am not entitled to this app. Also in TomTom Mydrive, I see no active subsription appearing. There is just one account on my phone which uses exactly the same email address as the TomTom account. (of course the passwords for the Gmail account and the TomTom account are different, but both use the same email address. By far the most simple solution to this problem is that you activate my account until 9th of july 2022. I can privately send you the proof of payment to the Google Playstore. Please help me get this app fully functioning as I rely on it for my holidays. Thanks in advance! Regards, Fred.

Hi @fredboek , would it be possible to share screenshots showing your subscriptions screen from the app? What app version did you install?

Hi @szachowa , I am using version 3.1.75 (4111). As you can see from the screenshot, there is no mention of an expiry date, however, if I press 'Beheer', then it takes me to the Google store where the subscription is correctly registered. Nu clue why the app told me that my free period will soon expire. In the last two days, it did not mention that anymore, maybe because I ignored the message (?)
    Hope you can shed some light on this because I am afraid that the app will abandon me when I need it most (which is the upcoming vacation!)
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 465
    Staff
    fredboek wrote: »
    Hi @szachowa , I am using version 3.1.75 (4111). As you can see from the screenshot, there is no mention of an expiry date, however, if I press 'Beheer', then it takes me to the Google store where the subscription is correctly registered. Nu clue why the app told me that my free period will soon expire. In the last two days, it did not mention that anymore, maybe because I ignored the message (?)
    Hope you can shed some light on this because I am afraid that the app will abandon me when I need it most (which is the upcoming vacation!)

This is interesting issue, and I think that app won't abandon you. I checked yesterday case of free trial and bought subscriptions, and it was behaving OK.

I think what happened here is just free trial that expired. Since you have subscription valid, it will continue to work now with your paid subscription.
    @szachowa, Today, the app announced that I need to buy a new subscription as this is the last day of the free period. To be honest, I find this extremely stupid app-behaviour towards a customer, as the customer thinks the app will shut down tomorrow. I am really fed up with this shit. Also, I find it misleading that the app suggests to buy a new subscription now....I declined of course! You cannot be satisfied with this app-behaviour , can you? Let me tell you that I think this is a disgrace to the good name TomTom once had.....
    It is stressful bevause it happens right before a holiday in which I rely on this app for navigation.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,701
    Community Manager
    @fredboek
    Can this actually be related to a bug on Google's side in regards to account management? Until fixed there is only the following solution as a workaround:
    1. Uninstall the GO Navigation app.
      (Make sure to first sync Places and Routes with MyDrive.)
    2. In a BROWSER on your desktop, log in to the web interface of Google Play with the account you used to purchase.
    3. Install the GO Navigation app from the web interface to your device.
      Don't use the Play Store app for this, but use the install button and choose your device in the browser.
    Hi @Jürgen , thanks for the suggestion, I will try this. I did not know that apps can be installed using a browser on the desptiop. However, your explanation regarding faulty communication between Google Playstore and the Go Navigation app is certainly plausible!