Route bar and ETA panel on Android Auto - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Route bar and ETA panel on Android Auto

2»

Comments

• szachowaszachowa Posts: 465
    Staff
    Dunkelmann wrote: »
    Here is a major design flaw that leaves TTAA useless in a certain circumstance.

I planned a route with a stop to force TT to go a particular way. When I neared the stop I realised it was in the wrong place due to a misplaced fat finger. It was impossible for me to halt the car and correct the situation on my phone. So until I could halt I had to turn down TT and ignore its protestations to follow its route back to the stop. I had no guidance to my destination.

This is an alpha release and should not have been put out to everyone.

Yes, we are aware about this limitation.

Please note that AA car app library has its own limitations, for instance about number of allowed items in menus (check this forum, discussed many times already, reported under https://issuetracker.google.com/u/0/issues/179648622).

Apart from that, there is no easy way for us to add route bar on AA HU, we are working on some solution to address that. Route bar would give us possibility to edit waypoints along the route.

• DunkelmannDunkelmann Posts: 25 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    edited June 22
    In the interim might I suggest an alternative to functions in the route bar? Simply add three buttons along the bottom where they obscure the least important part of the map display. They are
    "Delete next stop" with an appropriate symbol, and "+", "-" for map zooming. Pinching/stretching is not good when driving since you have to keep looking at the screen. With buttons you know that one two or three presses give you the zoom level you want without looking at the screen. It is a lot quicker too.

TT need to be creative and stop this fixation with a screen that works for phones but does not with AA. Implement function over form/eye candy.

TTAA does not need to mimic the UI of TT phone.
    Staff
    Dunkelmann wrote: »
    In the interim might I suggest an alternative to functions in the route bar? Simply add three buttons along the bottom where they obscure the least important part of the map display. They are
    "Delete next stop" with an appropriate symbol, and "+", "-" for map zooming. Pinching/stretching is not good when driving since you have to keep looking at the screen. With buttons you know that one two or three presses give you the zoom level you want without looking at the screen. It is a lot quicker too.

TT need to be creative and stop this fixation with a screen that works for phones but does not with AA. Implement function over form/eye candy.

TTAA does not need to mimic the UI of TT phone.

We will wait for following, since it will bring map interaction for us out of the box:
    https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2021/06/improve-your-app-mileage-with-android.html
  • Hobbit1959Hobbit1959 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I'm sad to say that after my first long trip with TTAA the experience has been disappointing. I can't explain every single detail that shows me this TTAA is not my old loved TOMTOM. The general feeleing and the lack of the route bar make it another 'me too' among the number of similar apps. I agree with some colleague here when he says the current one is only an alpha version. Hope it can reach soon the high quality of TOMTOM we are used to work with. Paying for the current app is not worth it for me. Sorry to say so and thank TOMTOM team for their effort trying to bringing it to live.
  • SpringsSprings Posts: 40 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I recently used my TomTom Go app on AA for a long journey - 250 miles - and was severely hampered by the lack of advanced warnings of delays etc. which are normally shown on the app sidebar. The only way I was aware of impending delays was that the arrival ETA kept increasing in the black rectangle, but there was no way of identifying whereabouts in my journey this would take place.
    In the end, my journey included 1 hour of delays - if I had just been using the app on my phone I would have had the option to make a detour or to have an additional stop before reaching the site of the delay.

Can the cumulative delays be displayed in the black rectangle until you get around to adding the missing sidebar? At least this would provide some warning.

With the present lack of the sidebar or any other method of providing advanced warnings I won't be using this app with AA on journeys above 20 miles as it's too much of a gamble. I'll go back to using my phone in it's holder.
    Staff
    Springs wrote: »
    I recently used my TomTom Go app on AA for a long journey - 250 miles - and was severely hampered by the lack of advanced warnings of delays etc. which are normally shown on the app sidebar. The only way I was aware of impending delays was that the arrival ETA kept increasing in the black rectangle, but there was no way of identifying whereabouts in my journey this would take place.
    In the end, my journey included 1 hour of delays - if I had just been using the app on my phone I would have had the option to make a detour or to have an additional stop before reaching the site of the delay.

Can the cumulative delays be displayed in the black rectangle until you get around to adding the missing sidebar? At least this would provide some warning.

With the present lack of the sidebar or any other method of providing advanced warnings I won't be using this app with AA on journeys above 20 miles as it's too much of a gamble. I'll go back to using my phone in it's holder.

Adding cumulative delay in ETA panel is not possible at the moment: https://issuetracker.google.com/u/0/issues/183952597
    We have in plans to add coloring in ETA panel to indicate if there is any traffic along the route or not.

• Torsten121Torsten121 Posts: 0 [New Seeker]
    When using the android TT app with Andoid Auto, the route bar is not displayed at the car's screen. Does anyone else missing it too?
  • LlrodriguezLlrodriguez Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Yes, this feature is dearly missed.
    It's already available in the beta version for iOS, so let's keep fingers crossed that TT will be able to implement it in Androide Auto aus Well.
  • MUPMUP Posts: 420 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited August 5
    OK, RouteBar and ETA stuff will take a longer time, understood.

Are these new features given by Android/Google- Jetpack-Team to the public at June 16th 2021 also on the way to TT's App?

Sign-in template
    - Allows users to sign in to your app directly from the car screen while parked.

Long Message template -
    Allows you to show long messages like terms of service to users as part of the setup flow while parked.

Multiple-length text
    - Different car screen sizes may show different amounts of text. We added an API you can use to specify multiple variants of a text string in select templates to fit different screen sizes.

Map Interactivity
    - You can now add capabilities such as zooming and panning to your navigation template.

The given enhanced possibility of interaction using the car screen called "Map Interactivity" would be the most important feature beacuse of ZoomIn/-Out not using the smartfone.

@szachowa
    Would you please give us an update about the current dev-situation?
    Many thanks.
    Best regards.

Screen%2BShot%2B2021-06-17%2Bat%2B11.20.22%2BAM.png

https://developer.android.com/jetpack/androidx/releases/car-app#1.0.0
    Staff
    Hi @MUP, about following:
    The given enhanced possibility of interaction using the car screen would be the most important feature beacuse of ZoomIn/-Out not using the smartfone.

@szachowa
    Would you please give us an update about the current dev-situation?
    Many thanks.
    Best regards.

I can only respond that yes, we have this in our product backlog.
  • EdwinvanEdwinvan Posts: 0 [New Seeker]
    Hi,
    On my mobile I see a vertical info bar at the right hand side of the screen which is very handy.
    When i switch to android auto this info bar is missing.
    Is it possible to get this bar at android auto as well?
  • Willy875Willy875 Posts: 2,915 [Exalted Pioneer]
    Hello,
    The bar on Android Auto is not yet available maybe
    soon.
  • FACFAC Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    edited August 18
    I have got the app to use with Android Auto, so the 30 day trial has started. Whats on the Phone with the app is very good.
    However to use with AA what a waist of a free trial period, a crystal clear screen but serious lack of functions and information. No map zoom, No useful traffic info or detail on the side bar.

I'm disappointed I have wasted the 30 day trial.
    Can we have some idea when this will be sorted out!
  • BrainsieBrainsie Posts: 30 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    @FAC all those functions you are describing are missing on Android Auto because of limitations by Google. Check out every other non-Google navigation app and you can see that they have the same limitations.

Zoom and pan function is scheduled as Google announced that function to become available for navigation apps on Android Auto.

For the other missing functions we just have to wait on Google or workarounds.. Good thing to keep an eye on this forum ;)
    FAC wrote: »
    I have got the app to use with Android Auto, so the 30 day trial has started. Whats on the Phone with the app is very good.
    However to use with AA what a waist of a free trial period, a crystal clear screen but serious lack of functions and information. No map zoom, No useful traffic info or detail on the side bar.

I'm disappointed I have wasted the 30 day trial.
    Can we have some idea when this will be sorted out!

Welcome to the "disappointed people" about Android Auto... ;-)
  • StrawinskyStrawinsky Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    edited August 22
    I guess I'm one of the few customers, who is quite okay with TTAA. :-) I understand that there are limitations due to the AA API, so I can live with what we've got so far. Also TTAA runs flawless on my Pixel. No crashes, no GPS problems so far, not even on a 600+ km trip. I use wired connection to my car, haven't tried WIFI yet.

There's one thing I'm missing. But I'm note sure if that already has been discussed or if that is some kind of a problem I specifically have:
    I usually use the option to be notified when there is a faster route. On my PND I either got an option where I could agree to that new route, it was indicated on the sidebar, or instead of an explicit option to agree just an alternative green route was shown on the map and a few hundred meters ahead a notification bell was played.
    (I don't use the automatic redirection of my route, because sometimes the saved time would be just one minute or so. But in reality it often takes much longer. Be it because of a lot of traffic lights or because suddenly everybody switches to that route. ;-) )
    On TTAA only the alternative green route is shown. Which would already satisfy my needs, wouldn't it be so easy to miss that route because the acoustic notification is missing. I'm not staring at my cars' screen all the time, so this acoustic notification would be helpful and so far I have seen them only by chance (edit: I mean the alternative routes).
    Also a little green flag showing the time that will be saved by taking the new route would be great and help to decide if that new route is worth taking it. Basically the same like the red time indicators used for traffic jams.
    At least to me no notification bell is played, nor do I see a flag with the saved time.
    Is it a problem on my side or if not, are there any chances to see this feature sometime in the future? :-)
    edited August 22
    100% agree.
    For TTAA a lot of nice features are still missing.

Would also be nice to get this feature on the map in TTAA and back in TT both.
    In earlier times I could see the delay on my current route was growing up.
    So I could decide dynamically what route to drive.

o5hrb3ty9z0f.png

Currently I am driving with GMaps on the car's display and in parallel TT on the smartfone's display.
    Nice effect:
    Comparing the decisions both are suggesting in strange traffic situations.

As a computing guy (old one) sometimes I wonder why it is not possible just to have in AA the image from TT as it appears on the phone. It is something very old (in the '80 we already did it) that we just use a "remote connection" with I/O on the screen. That is also used today to make remote support. Is that a crazy idea (on AA I mean)?
    edited August 23
    AA security is setup by Google' templates in "Jetpack Lib for Cars" and "Android for Cars App Lib".
    So there is no way out for 3rd party devs to create a simple mirroring App based on Android.

"Android apps for cars should avoid driver distraction above all else."

https://developer.android.com/docs/quality-guidelines/car-app-quality?hl=en
  • StrawinskyStrawinsky Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    edited August 23
    Technically it is possible just to mirror and control the mobile screen on another device. Thus as it is for example practiced with smart TV sets. See different interfaces like MiraCast or similar. But those solutions are purely for mirroring purposes, as far as I know they don't allow user interaction from the device the screen is mirrored to. Samsung for example offers Samsung Flow, a remote app to mirror and control the smartphone from another device. There are several other approaches to achieve this. So yes, when it comes to pure mirroring and user input wizardry, it is all possible. Just that in this case there is a whole car built around the screen. ;-) This means, the hardware of the car needs to be integrated into this system too. Like for example the cars microphone for speech recognition, bluetooth and wifi connections, GPS antenna, up to the buttons on the steering wheel to control certain functions. To my knowledge some cars can even contribute data like speed from their own BUS-system to the apps running on the mobile. And as mentioned by @MUP before, safety is also an issue. So here it all comes down to AA, CarPlay or MirrorLink, together with all their limitations.
  • spookbespookbe Posts: 0 [Apprentice Seeker]
    When I'm using TomTom GO Nav app for Android , I miss the rout bar in the infotainmentscreen of my car. Does anyone has the same experience?

As former user of TomTom GO 500 I apreciate this rout bar very well.
  • BrainsieBrainsie Posts: 30 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited August 30
    The route bar is missing on Android Auto because of limitations by Google.
  • CaherconreeCaherconree Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    edited October 5
    Read most of this thread and I used TomTom Go App with the routing set to auto and ended up being stuck in a jam late on a Friday night for over an hour. Seems that I either use Google maps now on Android auto or get a grill mount for my TomTom Go 6500.