Rider 550 TomTom randomly reboots — TomTom Community

Rider 550 TomTom randomly reboots

Brad_RughBrad_Rugh Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited July 30 in RIDER
So this has happened three times on our trip. The unit just shuts down and boots, It is a different scenario for each instance.
Once I arrived at my destination and then the unit shut-down, restarted and left me with a recorded route that I cannot "share".
The second was at a rest-stop and the third was while getting gas.
And now I have three recorded routes that cannot be shared, basically just taking up space on the unit.

Any ideas?

Comments

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 1,043 [Exalted Pioneer]
    try reset factory
  • nabunabu Posts: 16,890
    Superusers
    And now I have three saved routes that cannot be shared, just taking up space on the unit.

go in my routes ...... share my routes you will be invited to put a mini sd card
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,921
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Brad_Rugh
    I find the Wi-Fi devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when you 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection....
    Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, the only other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection is for updating the device....
    I always turn off (Forget) Wi-Fi by default and only login for updates....
    It's no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password

Logout of your Wi-Fi....
    (You can't actually log out, you can only 'Forget' the connection)
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap (Modify) Icon
    Tap (Forget) Icon
    Tap (^) Icon Screen top right
    To verify the Wi-Fi is OFF Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) screen top right Wi-Fi logo with an 'X'

1qo4pndgmr56.jpg
    To Reconnect to Wi-Fi.... For Updating etc....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your chosen Wi-Fi
    Enter your Wi-Fi Password
    Tap Done
    Tap Connect

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Brad_RughBrad_Rugh Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I appreciate the feedback received concerning the random device reboot and resulting difficulty/user dissatisfaction it creates.
    I will add some follow-up concerning my experience:
    1) Has a factory reset proven to remedy the random reboot or is it a "try this and see what happens" approach?

2) I have a mini-SD installed and used the "share routes" option with success many times. The issue I am experiencing is when the device reboots on its own, the route that was being recorded when the reboot occurred is visible on the list but cannot be shared. I get the following error every time. And yes, I have tried again later.
    0vi3klvmogr6.png

uocefjb96boa.png

3) My experience: File transfer via Wi-Fi is incredibly slow. I use a USB connection to my computer.

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,921
    Superusers
    edited July 30
    Hi
    @Brad_Rugh
    How much Free Space is on the On-board Memory ???
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Scroll down to Free space... 400 MB is considered the bare minimum Free Space for the device to operate...
    Also, the more free working space, the faster the device will operate....

I'm wondering if there is enough Free Space to record the route....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • gs2offroadgs2offroad Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Brad_Rugh wrote: »
    2) I have a mini-SD installed and used the "share routes" option with success many times. The issue I am experiencing is when the device reboots on its own, the route that was being recorded when the reboot occurred is visible on the list but cannot be shared. I get the following error every time. And yes, I have tried again later.
    0vi3klvmogr6.png

uocefjb96boa.png
    HI @Brad_Rugh
    In my experience if the Rider reboots or powers off while recording, the file becomes corrupted and the route cannot be shared or saved to SD card. Another joy of TomTom ownership!

• gs2offroadgs2offroad Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Brad_Rugh wrote: »
    So this has happened three times on our trip. The unit just shuts down and boots, It is a different scenario for each instance.
    Once I arrived at my destination and then the unit shut-down, restarted and left me with a recorded route that I cannot "share".
    The second was at a rest-stop and the third was while getting gas.
    And now I have three recorded routes that cannot be shared, basically just taking up space on the unit.

Any ideas?

One more idea, in my experience if you are recording your route there comes a point when the recorded route gets too large and the unit crashes and reboots itself and results in a corrupted route you cannot “share”. I don’t know the maximum but for me it happened after all day rides of 500+ miles. Now i save the recording more often and that seems to help.
  • nabunabu Posts: 16,890
    Superusers
    I did a lot of testing in the afternoon

any renamed gpx does not want to be transferred
    I remove the 1/2 put in front of the gpx is transferable