TomTom map with satellite overview? — TomTom Community

TomTom map with satellite overview?

GS88GS88 Posts: 45 [Renowned Wayfarer]
Does anyone know if there is a satellite overview map that uses the TomTom map(share) data? Until now I have simply used Apple Maps to get the TomTom map with a satellite overview and I have discovered various bad located streets that I have reported and that got fixed and are now much more realistic.

However it seems that Apple starts to use another map data that is not from TomTom and so of course I've lost the ability to see the TT map with a satellite overview. The MapShare reporter also doesn't provide that feature, even not for MapShare top contributors.

Best Answer

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,866 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @GS88
    The satellite imagery for TomTom maps is not available.
    One of our superusers @Pajopath posted a workaround few days back-
    Pajopath wrote: »
    use the Windows 10 Maps app ;)

They switched from HERE to TomTom for the roads over a year ago and are updating on a high frequence :)

Only places showing up in the map are from Microsoft itself.

Perhaps useful?

Thanks, Vikram

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,866 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @GS88
    The satellite imagery for TomTom maps is not available.
    One of our superusers @Pajopath posted a workaround few days back-
    Pajopath wrote: »
    use the Windows 10 Maps app ;)

They switched from HERE to TomTom for the roads over a year ago and are updating on a high frequence :)

Only places showing up in the map are from Microsoft itself.

Perhaps useful?

Thanks, Vikram
  • GS88GS88 Posts: 45 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Indeed, you're right. Thank you :) The lines for the streets in the map are a bit wide, the thin lines Apple used were better but bigger mismatches are easy to recognise though.
  • MetinHsnvMetinHsnv Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]

GS88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a satellite overview map that uses the TomTom map(share) data? Until now I have simply used Apple Maps to get the TomTom map with a satellite overview and I have discovered various bad located streets that I have reported and that got fixed and are now much more realistic.

However it seems that Apple starts to use another map data that is not from TomTom and so of course I've lost the ability to see the TT map with a satellite overview. The MapShare reporter also doesn't provide that feature, even not for MapShare top contributors.

You can use Bing maps or Windows 10 maps. However street view data still uses data from 2014-15. I don't know is it because tomtom or Maps app itself.
  • eddydceddydc Posts: 298 [Exalted Navigator]
    Isn't it about time that mapshare gets replaced by a more user friendly and professional tool.
    Compared to Here Mapcreator, Mapshare is very outdated. No need to go to other tools to check things before editing anything in mapcreator. It's not perfect but way better than mapshare.
  • Shawnloveshorses_161Shawnloveshorses_161 Posts: 180 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Just wanting to point out that Bing Maps licenses of imagery companies to provide the imagery. Bing maps uses TomTom Traffic data, it also gets updated with some of the TomTom updates every month.

Yes I agree, TomTom since they are official partner with Microsoft to integrate the aeriel view for the mapshare and use Bing data for POI's as well.