External GPS receiver with the App, possible? — TomTom Community

External GPS receiver with the App, possible?

DunkelmannDunkelmann Posts: 25 [Prominent Wayfarer]
I have GPS signal reception problems where TT seems to think it is either on another street (rerouting) or off road (displaying a track of dots to where I really am). At worst it seems to freeze meaning a restart of the app.

I recall that some sat navs have a "snap to road" facility but if TT has this then the real location and TT's location are too far apart for it to be useful.

Given the problem may have more to do with my phone's GPS signal reception, I investigated using my old external GPS receiver that I used with TT Nav app in my iPAQ until a few years ago. I have successfully linked it to my phone and mocked my location through it.

Does TT use the overridable Android GPS location provider or does it use the GPS location direct from the phone hardware? Some apps, for example GPS Status appear just to use the phone's.

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,717 Moderator
    Hi @Dunkelmann

For now, the GO app doesn't seem to be using a car GPS antenna which is already reported to Google as a feature request. I'm unsure if using the external GPS receiver will help.

Best, lampard
  • DunkelmannDunkelmann Posts: 25 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    edited July 21
    Thanks lampard. I think it is a question only the developers can answer.

I did wonder if the AA version ran on the head unit and used the car's locator. However I won't be using AATT because of how it limits TT. Apart from that, there is no way a user can change the way car Android works to allow mocking. You do raise a key point though: does AATT use the car GPS or the phone's?

My interest only lies with TT as a standalone on my phone.

I don't suppose the developers can be contacted?
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 465
    Staff
    Hi @Dunkelmann ,

Unfortunately I don't have clear answer. When it comes to AA and in-car GPS - I believe google is planning to release an update of AA to address that.

When it comes to external GPS receivers and our app - I have never tried such combination. I can see that you can pair external GPS BT receiver with Android phone, and use some external app to use external GPS location as a mocked location is system.

I believe as long you make it work with the Android system in general, it should work also with our app.
    I didn't find anything about USB receivers, but I didn't spend too much time on this.

Some references:
    [1] https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/what-android-device-for-my-external-antenna.47121/ - I just found it by googling and sharing here the link
    Thanks. The link refers to the antenna or aerial, whereas I use a receiver with built-in aerial. I never thought of using just an external aerial though so I will investigate.

I take it TT does do "snap-to-road"?
    Staff
    As far as I know we have some algorithms implemented that put you on the road, even if GPS signal isn't perfect. This can be seen in action whenever passing a tunnel.

Could you please explain more what do you mean here by "snap-to-road"?
  • MUPMUP Posts: 421 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited July 21
    That's an idea made by Google in case of loosing the GPS track.

"The Roads API takes up to 100 GPS points collected along a route, and returns a similar set of data, with the points snapped to the most likely roads the vehicle was traveling along. Optionally, you can request that the points be interpolated, resulting in a path that smoothly follows the geometry of the road."

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/roads/snap
    In simple terms, if you have a poor accuracy figure from your GPS receiver, the sat nav pretends it is on the road you were travelling.

For example, say you are on a road being guided by your software. Your reception becomes poor so your accuracy figure reported by your GPS goes up to 100 metres. The position reported puts you in a field 90 metres to your right. The software reasonably assumes you are still on track and shows your position on the road.

This is repeated as you go along.

If the accuracy figure is excellent (say upto 2 metres) then that is assumed to be "normal". If the accuracy figure becomes excessive (say 100 metres) then the software gives up and shows your position according to the GPS signal. This means you might see dots on screen leading you back to the road.

In rural situations, "snap-to-road" is usually a good thing, but in an urban situation there may be a choice of roads within your accuracy range. Clever software makes an intelligent choice.
    MUP wrote: »
    That's an idea made by Google in case of loosing the GPS track.

The concept predates Google navigation. I first used sat nav on an HP iPAQ around 2003. If I recall correctly TT Navigation had it then. Some sat nav software allowed it to be switched off (say you were walking or off-road driving).

Staff
    edited July 22
    I remember that some time ago I reported that on my private Motorola One phone sometimes chevron is turned 180 degree when waiting at the red traffic light (this was never the case with my previous Motorola phone).
    As far as I remember, we have some improvement planned to better debounce GPS signal which is poor in accuracy (especially when it comes to jumping heading).
    From doing a little experimenting, it looks as though TomTom Go Navigation uses the device's GPS receiver, not the mocked receiver. I have tried some other GPS apps and they do the same.

I'm not sure how to test whether TTAA uses the car's or the phone's GPS.

I am glad TT are thinking of ways to get round poor reception in phones. My car is even more like an enclosing tin box since the windscreen is coated. Phones' GPS are not the best and cars just block it more.
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,190 [Revered Voyager]
    edited July 26
    Dunkelmann wrote: »
    Perhaps try running app FakeGPS or similar on the phone to fix the phone's location eslewhere and then see the result on the vehicle's displayed location.
  • lneamlneam Posts: 87 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    bluetooth gnss receivers

with this video, we can see the procedure to connect into one android smartphone or tablet, of one example of a bluetooth gnss receiver.

the cost is 99$ and we can have 1.8 - 2m static accuracy with 10 Hz measurements per sec.
    tgold wrote: »
    Perhaps try running app FakeGPS or similar on the phone to fix the phone's location eslewhere and then see the result on the vehicle's displayed location.

OK, that is a good idea. I will try that. Up to now, I have simply been trying the mocking to my standalone GPS receiver and waving it about. TT just displays a grey arrow that points up. When I unmock the arrow is blue and follows my phone.

I am surprised though that TT just does nothing when mocked.
    Staff
    edited July 26
    tgold wrote: »

OK, that is a good idea. I will try that. Up to now, I have simply been trying the mocking to my standalone GPS receiver and waving it about. TT just displays a grey arrow that points up. When I unmock the arrow is blue and follows my phone.

I am surprised though that TT just does nothing when mocked.

When it comes to app that mock GPS, please also try Lockito –GPS itinerary faker / spoofer.
    You have to select app for mocking location on newer Androids: https://support.oppo.com/en/answer/?aid=neu12992.
    Summary of results with FakeGPS:

1) I should have used this first - many thanks tgold 🙄
    2) TT is mocked so uses Android's developer mocking option.
    3) TTAA is also mocked.
    4) Waze is mocked.
    5) WazeAA is mocked.
    6) Google Maps is mocked.
    7) Google Maps AA is not mocked.
    8) Google Maps and Google Maps AA cannot run at the same time.

Hypotheses:

If you get loss of signal or poor reception from your phone, then you have the option of using an external GPS receiver connected by Bluetooth. If you do, TT and TTAA will use it if you set it up for your phone using mocking software.

Google Maps might use the GPS of your car but I wouldn't swear to it.