Sending routes to VIA52 — TomTom Community

Sending routes to VIA52

Norfolkman79Norfolkman79 Posts: 27 [Master Explorer]
edited July 26 in MyDrive Connect
What am doing wrong? I have a VIA52 and a few days ago, I planned 2 routes in MyDrive route planner and saved them. Now today, the routes are still there but I cannot load them onto the TomTom. There is no option to do so. The only options, at the bottom, are “Share route”, "Edit route" & " Delete route" and no way to send to device. I have got "Sync this drive" switched on.

I know I have done this successfully in the past but not having used the satnav for some while, I think I must have forgotten something!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,054
    Superusers
    edited July 27 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Norfolkman79
    On the Via 52 Check....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Tomtom Services... Are you logged into MyDrive with your account Email & Password ???

If you use the Save & Sync option on the MyDrive Web Route Planner
    The Save & Sync option save a .GPX Track... it's basically a bread crumb track that you follow

A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route a .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

Using a .ITN Route planned on the MDW Route planner...
    The latest version of MyDrive Web Route planner now uses 'Send Destination' or 'Send Stops' to send an .ITN Route
    The MyDrive Web Route planner only sends the route to the device as a Destination... Or if you add Stops it send it as a Route (But it is not automatically saved in MyRoutes)
    If you are using .ITN route and 'Send Stops'
    see my workaround below

x9kkavu7m0o4.jpg

qkw01ev5tv6s.jpg

Complex Multi Stop .ITN Route Rider 400
    lv3gbgezr1sx.jpg

Be Aware....
    If your starting point IS NOT your present location, there's a BUG
    When using the 'Send Stops' option, during an "A" to "B" route transfer where 'A' IS NOT your present location... The device drops Location "A"
    This bug also applies to Multi-Stop/Waypoint routes... 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...

For more info, See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1198253/#Comment_1198253

This is the workaround method I use....

The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Get it Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

(1).... Plan my Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner (With or Without Stops as required)

(2)... Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon

8eaec27f-eba6-4332-bbb7-38ecfdac3110.png
    (4)... Choose the 'Send Stops' option... The route will sync to your device

(5)... The device will calculate your route from your 'Present location'
    (5.1)... The device will calculate your route using Stops in the order that you placed the Stops in the route
    (5.2)... If the planned Start of the Route is your 'Present location'... Then skip Bullet-point... (6)

(6)... When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon) 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from your new location

(7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the Route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note... (2) The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,825
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Norfolkman79

Glad you are sorted.

Doug

Answers

Superuser
    Hi @Norfolkman79

When you created the Routes in MyDrive did you select option Sync this Route as a Track

Doug
  • Norfolkman79Norfolkman79 Posts: 27 [Master Explorer]
    Just to be sure, I deleted the routes and started again.
    I planned the route and there is a button for " Send destination" & one for "Save route".
    I clicked save route and on the next dropdown I clicked on " Sync this route as a track on my device" and saved it. I was then returned to the previous screen with the Share, edit or delete options. Still no way to send the route to the device.
    Superuser
    Hi @Norfolkman79

If you have Selected the Save this Route as a Track then if you go to your Device and it has logged into MyDrive then the Track should Sync if you have got the unit linked via Bluetooth or Wifi.

Doug
    edited July 26
    Thanks for the reply.
    I did select save the route as a track and the satnav is logged into mydrive via USB.
    I don't think the VIA52 has wifi and my laptop doesn't have bluetooth, but still nothing appears on my satnav in "My Routes".
    Correction! My laptop does have Bluetooth. Should I be using this instead of USB?
    Superuser
    H @Norfolkman79

Do you connect your Phone to the Via 52 via Bluetooth if so then when it is linked it will use the Phones data to sync the routes across when the Unit logs itself into My Drive . Otherwise they should sync across when you are connected to the PC via USB with My Drive Connect running on the PC not if you only have the My Drive Website open on your PC.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,054
    Superusers
    edited July 27 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Norfolkman79
    On the Via 52 Check....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Tomtom Services... Are you logged into MyDrive with your account Email & Password ???

If you use the Save & Sync option on the MyDrive Web Route Planner
    The Save & Sync option save a .GPX Track... it's basically a bread crumb track that you follow

A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route a .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

Using a .ITN Route planned on the MDW Route planner...
    The latest version of MyDrive Web Route planner now uses 'Send Destination' or 'Send Stops' to send an .ITN Route
    The MyDrive Web Route planner only sends the route to the device as a Destination... Or if you add Stops it send it as a Route (But it is not automatically saved in MyRoutes)
    If you are using .ITN route and 'Send Stops'
    see my workaround below

x9kkavu7m0o4.jpg

qkw01ev5tv6s.jpg

Complex Multi Stop .ITN Route Rider 400
    lv3gbgezr1sx.jpg

Be Aware....
    If your starting point IS NOT your present location, there's a BUG
    When using the 'Send Stops' option, during an "A" to "B" route transfer where 'A' IS NOT your present location... The device drops Location "A"
    This bug also applies to Multi-Stop/Waypoint routes... 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...

For more info, See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1198253/#Comment_1198253

This is the workaround method I use....

The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Get it Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

(1).... Plan my Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner (With or Without Stops as required)

(2)... Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon

8eaec27f-eba6-4332-bbb7-38ecfdac3110.png
    (4)... Choose the 'Send Stops' option... The route will sync to your device

(5)... The device will calculate your route from your 'Present location'
    (5.1)... The device will calculate your route using Stops in the order that you placed the Stops in the route
    (5.2)... If the planned Start of the Route is your 'Present location'... Then skip Bullet-point... (6)

(6)... When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon) 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from your new location

(7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the Route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note... (2) The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    edited July 27
    Thank you both for your very detailed help!
    My problem is a little more basic than how the route is sent, it is simply that NOTHING is sent! If I detail my procedure, perhaps you can see where I am going wrong.
    YamFazMan, With regard to TomTom services log-in, the icon for TomTom services shows a car with a WiFi type symbol above it & a number 1 in a red circle. Tapping this just shows me "Your information & Privacy and an option to receive their services. There is nowhere to log-in.
    Going over to MyDrive on the PC shows I am logged in!
    Now, regarding what I am doing on MyDrive:-

I click on The Smartest Route Planner.
    Click on Plan Route & enter either my postcode or click the home button arrow.
    I enter the destination and select the route I want from the choice of three offered.
    At this point, the "send destination" button does nothing, it changes colour but nothing else. The only other button is "Save to my routes" which I click.
    In the next drop-down, I enter a brief description & click the "Sync my route as a track...." ON.
    Again, my only option then, is "Save"
    The next drop-down offers me "Share, Edit or Delete route" only. Nothing has gone to my satnav!!!

I am sure I am doing something wrong somewhere but can't figure out what!!
    Put simply, I thought I could plan a route on the PC & send it to the VIA52 and it would appears in "MY Routes" on the satnav. Yes I do have MyDrive installed and am not just using the website.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation.

Many thanks in hope.

Superuser
    Hi @Norfolkman79

Just for clarification on the PC you need to be logged into MyDrive Connect, the software you use for updating not the My Dive Website that you created the Routes on to sync the Routes to the Via unit.

Doug
    Surely they are the same ones aren't they? I use the Smartest Route Planner in "My Devices" to plan the route and "Updates" is just above it on the same page.ax41hqrpt9ed.jpg
    Thank you both for all your help and I have solved my problem. I knew it had to be something stupid and it was. I thought logging in to MyDrive automatically logged the satnav in as well. Having realised that it doesn't, I logged in the satnav and my routes suddenly appeared. Just put it down to old age.
    Thanks again guys! :)
    Superuser
    Hi @Norfolkman79

The picture you have shown in your post is what you see when you open the MyDrive Connect software. This connects you to the TT servers and facilitates Updating etc.

The Smart Route Planner is a Website based system whereby via your web browser you open a Webpage which connects to the TT servers mapping facility and can be done without you having the My Drive Connect software on your PC. For example you can use your smartphone or Tablet to go to the Tomtom MyDrive website via a browser or an App and create routes and save them to your Account and neither of these devices will accept the MyDrive Connect Software.

When you Tap Smart Route Planner in your posted picture you are redirected to the Website and you have to log into your account there before you can plan routes etc.

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/

If you are getting to the Route planner via opening the MD Connect Software then Tapping the Link then that means you have the MDC Software open. If when you have that software open and the Via connected via the USB cable as it says it is above the picture of the Via unit then Routes should sync across provided that My Drive on the Via unit shows it is logged into your account. You don't have to Tap the link to open My Drive. If you go to Settings/My Drive on the Via does it say Stop syncing or does it ask for the password. If the former then it is logged in if the latter it is not.

Doug
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Norfolkman79

Glad you are sorted.

Doug