GPS location issues on Android Auto — TomTom Community

GPS location issues on Android Auto

BrainsieBrainsie Posts: 26 [Prominent Wayfarer]
Since 1/2 weeks I have some location issues when using TomTom on Android auto (Samsung S21).
When I start the navigation at first use there is no problem. But when I turn on the screen of my smartphone, the location signal is lost.
It returns once in a while but after a few seconds it is gone again.
It returns when I open the TomTom app on my phone but at the moment I move that one to the background or turn off my screen, the location issues are there again.

Was occurring before the last update of TomTom and Android Auto.

Permissions are okay and no batterysaving settings, but why is there no option to give TomTom always permission to the location?
Other apps like Google Maps or Amigo have it.

bcmyar4czmww.jpg

nyj7hlb0azld.jpg

Comments

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,546 Moderator
    Hi @Brainsie
    We have seen a few similar reports, but they are not specific to the phone model you are using.
    Do you have the battery saving turned-ON on your phone? If yes, could you check the GPS reception improves by turning that OFF...

Regards,
    Vikram
  • BrainsieBrainsie Posts: 26 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi @VikramK

Battery saving turned off. Besides of that already have excluded TomTom app from any battery saving.
  • MUPMUP Posts: 351 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @Brainsie
    The TT-App has an option to work in the background.
    Set to "OFF" then I can reproduce the effect with Pixel 4 XL: loosing GPS.
    Is it set to "ON" at your device?

Then the App works continously with the given location right "When App is in use" also if there is an overlaying window active for red lights or manually switched the screen off/on.
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 447
    Staff
    Thanks @Brainsie , we are aware of the background permissions missing in TT GO Nav.

We have in plans to address this issue. We also think that it may help in addressing some of the complaints that we received about lost GPS signal.
    Staff
    @Brainsie , could you please check if following workaround works for you?

1. Start the TT GO Nav on the phone
    2. Connect USB cable to your car head unit
    3. Start TT GO Nav on the head unit
    4. Press power button on your phone to turn off the screen

There is small chance that this issue won't be seen if you first start the app on the phone and then switch to car head unit.
    We have internal ticket reported to address this missing permission on newer Android devices (GONAV-3567).
    @MUP it's turned ON.
    @szachowa I will try. Thank you.
    It should be the permission, right? Because I tested it with Amigo today and there were no GPS issues. Even switched between TomTom and Amigo and the issue occurred only at TomTom.
    @szachowa
    It's working with the workaround, but I suppose this is only temporary, untill there is a fix? I'd like to do other things on my phone when needed, and most of the times the GPS issues returns.
    Staff
    Brainsie wrote: »
    @szachowa
    It's working with the workaround, but I suppose this is only temporary, untill there is a fix? I'd like to do other things on my phone when needed, and most of the times the GPS issues returns.

Yes, we have in plans to address this issue.
  • Hans0304Hans0304 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Exactly same issue here. Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro running Android 11. Any sign of a date for the fix?
    Staff
    Hans0304 wrote: »
    Exactly same issue here. Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro running Android 11. Any sign of a date for the fix?

As I explained before, I don't want to provide any dates, since there are multiple factors that decide upon what will be delivered in upcoming releases. For instance, if there is some critical bug happening, we must shuffle our priorities to address crashes.
    We are aware about this issues with GPS permission, and we plan to fix it.