iOS 14.5 and CarPlay Issue - Page 2 — TomTom Community

iOS 14.5 and CarPlay Issue

2»

Comments

• JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,618
    Community Manager
    @Gummibando
    Yes, if I understand the related GONAV ticket correctly it's reported to Apple.
  • Daniele3974Daniele3974 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hello everybody!!
    I also have the exact same problem with my iphone 12 pro and carplay !!
    I updated ios to version 14.7 beta 4 but the problem persists ...
    now i try to upgrade to ios 15 beta 2 and see what happens ...;)
  • GummibandoGummibando Posts: 17 [Legendary Explorer]
    edited July 2
    @Jürgen
    Yes, if I understand the related GONAV ticket correctly it's reported to Apple.
    Thanks for your reply.

As I had some time to waste this morning, some more observations…

While Apple Maps (obviously) works, also Google Maps, Waze and Sygic indeed work w/o problems in the latest release iOS (v14.6 as of now).
    Meaning: they show the navigation view in the CarPlay dashboard screen perfectly fine with or without a currently "active" route. Also, all three apps display the navigation view in the CarPlay dashboard after connecting the phone w/o any user interaction.
    Please see attached screenshots.

3rokl2xluvud.png
    Google

un5qsbbyrmln.png
    Waze

wfcew0tci65l.png
    Sygic

Not sure why/what they're doing different. As far as I can see, there are no API differences related to CarPlay in iOS 14.4 (the last version working correctly) vs. iOS 14.5 (the first version exhibiting the bug) and later.
    Hello everybody!!
    I also have the exact same problem with my iphone 12 pro and carplay !!
    I updated ios to version 14.7 beta 4 but the problem persists ...
    now i try to upgrade to ios 15 beta 2 and see what happens ...;)

Bummer, was hoping 14.7 would fix this. Haven't updated wife's phone b/c of this.
    Interestingly, I'm not sure (anymore) if this is an iOS or a TomTom bug (see post above).

Curious to see if iOS 15b2 makes any difference.
  • MKoneMKone Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Just adding my frustration to the list for this... I have just bought a new car with CarPlay built in, so was looking forward to being able to use the TomTom iPhone app with CarPlay support.

I'm still in the 30 day trial at the moment, but as things stand I don't think I will take out the annual subscription until the issues are sorted out. I have had a physical TomTom device (right now it's the TT Go 520) plus the car's built in nav.. but was looking forward to being able to just have the TomTom on CarPlay running in the background for speed camera alerts, traffic and casual and quick navigation.

There's a few thoughts I have after using the app for a week or so of my thirty day trial...

As others mention, if you're not actively navigating (i.e just having the map and alerts in the background) then this doesn't work on the home screen of CarPlay, so you're left with two windows with the TT logo. Starting navigation to a destination then ending it does populate the main home page screen on the head unit, but this is a clear bug that should have been sorted by TT by now.

But the other issue that I don't see mentioned is the smaller navigation box on the home screen... if you're not navigating to a destination, this is blank (with the TT icon) even if the small nav screen is showing a map - there's limited space on CarPlay's home screen, so this is a complete waste. I would suggest that TT adds something like they have on the iPhone Widgets with the travel time to home/work - which could perhaps also be shortcuts to start navigation to those destinations.

Another issue I've found, even though the app is running in the background is that alerts (eg speed cameras) do not sound when the blanked out state of the home screen is in place - it also only works if you start nav, end nav then go back to the CarPlay home screen.

A nice to have feature would be voice control, which seems like an obvious thing to add.

I also use the TomTom MyDrive App to send destinations to my Go520 - it would make sense to be able to send this to my TomTom app as well - I'm logged into both apps with the same user ID yet there's seemingly no real link between the two apart from the sharing of MyPlaces (which is nice to have).

I think it's a good effort and it's nice to get at least some of the functionality of the physical TomTom devices on to CarPlay - I understand there will be some limitations, but right now, it's not in a place that is worthy of purchase just yet.
  • HJM2001HJM2001 Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
    edited July 13
    Unfortunately, the split view in the split screen still doesn't work and can only be fixed with the workaround. Why doesn't the support team comment on this? Weeks have passed since the problem arose. Very disappointing.

Leider funktioniert die geteilte Ansicht im Split Screen immer noch nicht und lässt sich nur durch den workaround beheben. Warum äußert sich der Support nicht dazu? Es sind Wochen vergangen seit der Problematik. Sehr enttäuschend.
    Community Manager
    I'm afraid this is still between Apple and us.

(GONAV-3048)
  • EldewyEldewy Posts: 31 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Jürgen wrote: »
    I'm afraid this is still between Apple and us.

(GONAV-3048)

How can Apple be the culprit here, when every single navigation app other than TomTom Go doesn’t suffer from such a bug.
  • gs2offroadgs2offroad Posts: 25 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Eldewy

It was not said that Apple are the culprit. It is suggested that it has been reported to Apple, who would have approved the App before making it available in the App Store. I assume TT are therefore seeking advise from Apple as to why it is occurring so that presumably changes can be made.

Doug

TT expects Apple to find the problems with TT software! Will be waiting for a long time!
  • Phil0673Phil0673 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Same pb here unfortunately. Guess will have to not use it anymore.
  • Phil0673Phil0673 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    edited July 26
    Hi TomTom support,
    since 2 months the integration of tomtomgo in CarPlay Dashboard does not work.
    Could you pls provide some visibility on the fix?
    Knowing I pay for the service what is planned on TOmtom side?
    Thx for your answer
    Rgds`PL
  • HJM2001HJM2001 Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
    No comment since now, bad support, sorry. I wanted to talk to the support but the web page only offers a bot or this forum. So why does the official support read only and doesnt answer?
  • OwenInOzOwenInOz Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hi @Jürgen and everyone else,

I am brand new and still operating on the 30 day trial.
    Thank you all for making my decision to discontinue so easy to make.

I wrote to tomtom support directly about a different CarPlay issue and was spun a line about limitations in CarPlay UI templates blah blah blah.

What I want is already delivered on carplay by tomtom's competitor - simple access to MyRoutes from the carplay interface. tomtom says it can't be done due apple requirements. Plainly evident that this is not true because, as i say, their competitors offer this functionality through CarPlay.

It is deliberately misleading to say that this app is CarPlay compatible when it has so many failures for so many people.

It seems to me that once they have your money, they are not interested in customer service.

Sadly, I like everything else about the app but I'm not prepared to pay for it without decent customer service.

Owen

edited August 17
    @lampard @Jürgen

What is going on here? We're coming up at 4 months into this bug. Is this actually worked on?
    Compared to the release history of the Android version, implementing fixes and new features on a much more frequent basis, the iOS version appears to be massively lacking.

TTG is literally the only CarPlay-enabled navigation app exhibiting this problem.
    Why is there no substantial feedback apart from an irrelevant internal bug ID, like a timeframe?
  • TMTMUSERTMTMUSER Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Unfortunately the issue has still not been resolved in the latest update (v2.7).

I think it’s time to consider TomTom GO on iOS no longer supported. It was two months since the last update and they still did not address such a simple issue in this recent update.

For an app that requires a subscription this lack of support is unreal.

Now it’s time to cancel subscriptions and move to another app.
  • TMTMUSERTMTMUSER Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Issue has been resolved for me in version v2.7.2 running iOS 15.
    Community Manager
    TMTMUSER wrote: »
    Issue has been resolved for me in version v2.7.2 running iOS 15.
    Yes, the 2.7.2 build includes a fix for this for iOS 14.5 - 14.8 and iOS 15.