Bicycle route on GO Navigation App — TomTom Community

Bicycle route on GO Navigation App

Karine01Karine01 Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
I have the new app 3.1 but when I enter a route and I enter bicycle as an alternative, I can no longer plan other routes. When I then want to plan a new route, there is only a bicycle in the screen. Even when I completely close the app or close my smartphone, only a bicycle remains. When I remove the app and install it back inc the maps everything is back to normal.(car, bike, foot)h2135lcujy29.jpg

Comments

• Karine01Karine01 Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    Also, the app sometimes gives sound and other times not.
    Phone xiaomi red mi note 7 pro
    Thanks, i have update the app to 3.1.48
  • MUPMUP Posts: 421 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited July 13
    @szachowa
    Would you please have a look into this TT-tracker-issue
    GONAV-2783

There was a discussion in the german part of the TT-forum including a temp. solution.
    May be the fix for the bicycle-always-problem is already in review?

v60hgx2kw4jr.png

Hello, i have find a solution for this.
    First you delete the current route. At that time there is only one bicycle. Then go to settings and select the fastest route. When you go back to selection of transport, everything is back as it should and you have the choise car, bike and others.
    I see that Version 3.1.48 had now bike options.
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 465
    Staff
    Yes, we have decided to remove these 2 route types, and below you can find reasoning behind it:
    GO Navigation is optimised for car navigation. With our latest map technology we can’t guarantee optimal routing for cycling and walking and therefore we have decided to remove these route types. In addition, these route types are being used less than 0.5% of the time by our current userbase.
    Used the previous version for a few days this week while cycling and it worked well.
  • tarkustarkus Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited August 6
    I always like this app very much but this is the first time in many years i'm not so satisfied with it anymore;

setting / routeplanning / desired routetypes (i have a dutch version installed)

why has these types changed in fast, short, efficient etc... ?
    Now i cant choose for bike / walking / car etc... anymore and i have to guess what matches my desires (and i noticed these new options dont work the same as before anyway).

I hope TomTom will change this or do they hope customers will buy there other navigationsystmes

• tarkustarkus Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    the problem is that if i parked my car and i want to walk in the city to reach f.i. a restaurant, the app now doesnt give a walking route and show whats the shortests way. The app always try to show a car-route as far as i can see

If i understand you correctly i have to use a different app now.
  • Architect_KevArchitect_Kev Posts: 0 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited August 25
    Hey any idea if the bicycle option will come back to the app

Hope to hear
  • Crusader3020Crusader3020 Posts: 32 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Ditto
  • Seeker112Seeker112 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    missed this option last week. contacted tomtom by mail. they even don’t know it’s gone. think it’s downgrade without option. hope comes back
    edited August 16
    installed tomtom navigation just for checking on my ipad.
    very suprised. IOS app still supports route by foot or bicycle. so please explain this tomtom and solve this bug for android users.
    edit: route by foot and bicycle possible , but very dangerous. maps are not suitable anymore. track in my own city (netherlands) let you walk/bike on a main road, strictly forbidden for walking/biking.
    edited August 16
    answer tomtom by mail: navigation is designed for cardriving since new maps. that are not designed for good routing choice by bike/foot. less than 0.5% uses option bike/foot. that’s also why tomtom skipped it. advice tomtom; put wishes on forum. if many people want this option back, there is a chance tomtom put it back on in the future. for now, too bad.
    google maps is no option for me, works with earth magnetism instead of gps. telephone cover makes compass crazy. not the magnet, but backcover (skimming protection layer, i think).
  • daydotzdaydotz Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Shame explains why I couldn't find it when I needed it today 😪
  • SinglePointSafetySinglePointSafety Posts: 58 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Google Maps works by GPS - anyone telling you different probably also believes that: the Covid vaccine will allow Bill Gates to track you; the vaccine will alter your DNA; Elvis is still alive.

However, yes, it is quite feasible to block or distort the GPS reception of your phone depending on location in the car, proximity to sources of interference etc. Also of course possible to completely fool the compass in your phone if you have a case which includes a magnet.
    have no magnet in cover. so really skimming cover. within 12cm in reach of it, compass gets mad.
    checked about gps by google maps.
    yes you’re right. (a bit). google maps works with gps for tracking device-point. also for larger speed tracking it works with gps.
    but uses compass for first minute details. and direction view. and thats why it doesn’t work for me when walking.
    checked more reliable sites and all same answer.
    if you have any doubt about it, you could ask yourself, why google maps have a compass in the app you can calibrate.
    I think tomtom did it all with gps. because i didn’t have that problem there at all.
    google maps send me sometimes 180 degrees wrong and strange enough, on the map i get closer to my endpoint. in real, i walked further away.
    ps. didn’t ask web developer he has seen Elvis lately.
  • DeezNutsDeezNuts Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Recently TomTom have removed bicycle navigation and support for bicycle gpx tracks.

I was using the gpx import function to use it with tomtom go on my phone.

It's a ridiculous discussion to remove features that thousands of people still use without any warning or whatsoever.

It's also a big f*ck you to your paying customers (like me). So I won't be renewing my subscription. Very bad company and support with a total disrespect to its customers.

Tomtom bicycle mydrive feature removed not working. gpx import for bicycles not working with tomtom go android 2021. bicycle feature removed from tomtom go android. no bicycle support tom tom go.
    szachowa wrote: »
    Yes, we have decided to remove these 2 route types, and below you can find reasoning behind it:
    GO Navigation is optimised for car navigation. With our latest map technology we can’t guarantee optimal routing for cycling and walking and therefore we have decided to remove these route types. In addition, these route types are being used less than 0.5% of the time by our current userbase.

Those are very bad arguments. 0.5 percent of 50 million userbase is still 250.000 people! I live in the Netherlands and bicycle is the main use of transportation.
    workaround, per 24.08.21 , is to install version 3.1.0. But how long till this version works? who knows.
    edited August 24
    Seeker112 wrote: »
    answer tomtom by mail: navigation is designed for cardriving since new maps. that are not designed for good routing choice by bike/foot. less than 0.5% uses option bike/foot. that’s also why tomtom skipped it. advice tomtom; put wishes on forum. if many people want this option back, there is a chance tomtom put it back on in the future. for now, too bad.
    google maps is no option for me, works with earth magnetism instead of gps. telephone cover makes compass crazy. not the magnet, but backcover (skimming protection layer, i think).

It's a bs argument, even though it's a small percentage, because of tomtom huge userbase it's still a lot of people who tomtom have screwed over. They removed the feature without any warning for paying customers! That's outrageous.

for now you can install version 3.1.0. look for apkmirror.
  • ScatNavScatNav Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Seeker112 wrote: »
    have no magnet in cover. so really skimming cover. within 12cm in reach of it, compass gets mad.
    checked about gps by google maps.
    yes you’re right. (a bit). google maps works with gps for tracking device-point. also for larger speed tracking it works with gps.
    but uses compass for first minute details. and direction view. and thats why it doesn’t work for me when walking.
    checked more reliable sites and all same answer.
    if you have any doubt about it, you could ask yourself, why google maps have a compass in the app you can calibrate.
    I think tomtom did it all with gps. because i didn’t have that problem there at all.
    google maps send me sometimes 180 degrees wrong and strange enough, on the map i get closer to my endpoint. in real, i walked further away.
    ps. didn’t ask web developer he has seen Elvis lately.

The compass calibration is available in Google Maps presumably to compensate for inaccuracies - for example discrepancies between the earth's magnetic North and the geographic North.

I am guessing that, if it is not possible to correct for local distortion of the magnetic field, a small conventional pocket compass would assist when you start a walk or a cycle ride.
  • lneamlneam Posts: 87 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    does this version support navigation option for pedestrian and bicycle ?