My Start 52 still won't charge in car — TomTom Community

My Start 52 still won't charge in car

Re previous discussions I have bought new Tomtom 2.4A charger & USB cable but Tomtom will still not charge when plugged into either my modern or classic cars. It charges ok if I plug it into a USB port in the house. So presumably it is something wrong with the Tomtom satnav unit itself. Has anyone else had this problem. I bought it from Halfords just over one year ago so presumably no longer under warranty. Any help appreciated.

Best Answer

• alangidleyalangidley Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
    Accepted Answer
    Problem at long last solved. The cigarette lighter socket that I fitted to my classic car turned out to be faulty and kept killing the Tomtom charger units, 3 in all. I have now fitted a new cigarette lighter socket that also has 2 USB ports and it works fine as does the cigarette lighter socket for my electric tyre pump.

Answers

• tonygrtonygr Posts: 76 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Maybe a silly question but are you sure that the plug is making proper contact in the socket in the car? I have found there have been small changes over the years and some modern plugs fail to complete the circuit in older sockets without a bit of wriggling around. Surely if the unit charges when plugged into a USB in the house there cannot be anything wrong with the unit.
  • nabunabu Posts: 16,890
    Superusers
    do you have a cigarette lighter or plug in your tomtom charger
    I have wriggled it about but no difference.

nabu, The car has a normal 12v cigarette socket and the Tomtom came with a plug in charger, which I have tried and also used a Tomtom 2.4v one.
    Superusers
    edited July 12
    I would go see the side of the cigarette lighter fuse
    I think I have got to the bottom of the problem. I went to Halfords in my modern car & took the satnav etc. They supplied a new plug in cigarette socket charger, one with two USB ports as well as a socket for charger, and it worked ok in the car. When I got home and plugged it into my classic car it didn't work. I think the cigarette lighter socket that I fitted in the car is producing too many amps and is burning out the chargers. the little indicator lights on the plug in chargers are all dead. It works fine with the electric tyre pump but that is designed to take a lot of amps. I need to find a new cigarette socket that is compatible with low amps as in satnavs.
    The normal car cigarette lighter socket produces about 10 amps, whereas a USB port in a car produces about 2 amps. Therein lies my problem, 10 amps will burn out/blow the fuse in the male socket charger. I don't think you can replace the fuse on the charger as i see no means of taking it apart. I will have to fit a USB port in my car.
    Superusers
    I think the cigarette lighter socket I installed in the car is producing too many amps

I think you did not put fuses but rather direct battery
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,930
    Superusers
    edited July 12
    Hi
    @alangidley
    Welcome to the site.…
    Maybe useful... The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 Wi-Fi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1739335/#Comment_1739335
    The dashboard USB port in your vehicle, normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp in old money) and are for data transfer and not supplying power....
    The Auxiliary Power Socket in my Ford has a 20 AMP fuse... All of my Tomtom work fine...

Just a thought.... All modern Cars have a NEGATIVE earth system for the electrics....
    Depending on the age of your Classic Car, It may have a POSITIVE earth system for the electrics...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    My classic car has negative earth. The cigarette lighter socket is connected direct to the battery with a 15 amp fuse on the positive wire from the battery to the cigarette lighter socket. I think that "To light a cigarette" would need a lot more than the 2. amps needed to charge/operate a satnav, hence it is probably generating about 10 amps which is much more than the male socket USB plug is designed to take. I have ordered a new car cigarette lighter socket with two USB ports which says that the cigarette lighter socket supplies 10 amps and the USB ports 2.1 amps. I am sure this will solve the problem as I can plug the satnav into an USB port and not use the cigarette lighter socket which I can use for my electric tyre pump.
    Accepted Answer
    Problem at long last solved. The cigarette lighter socket that I fitted to my classic car turned out to be faulty and kept killing the Tomtom charger units, 3 in all. I have now fitted a new cigarette lighter socket that also has 2 USB ports and it works fine as does the cigarette lighter socket for my electric tyre pump.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,663
    Superuser
    Hi @alangidley

OUCH

Glad you are sorted

Doug