Rider 500 tomtom GPS location inaccuracy accuracy — TomTom Community

Rider 500 tomtom GPS location inaccuracy accuracy

HocksHocks Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited July 11 in RIDER
Hello All,

I'm new here so please be gentle with me!

The distance to next turn etc is well and truly out. On average when I'm right on top of a turn, I.e. indicators on, slowed for junction and starting to turn in, my Rider tells me that I am, anywhere between 1000-150 ft away from the junction. What is going on!!?

Software is up to date as are incremental updates.

Anyone? Anyone?... Bueller?

Thank you!

Best Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,972
    Superusers
    edited July 10 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Hocks
    Welcome to the site....
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices' Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound, then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade, large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....
    Hocks wrote: »
    (Snip) On average when I'm right on top of a turn, I.e. indicators on, slowed for junction and starting to turn in, my Rider tells me that I am, anywhere between 100-150 ft away from the junction. What is going on (Snip)
    When the problem happens, is the Map display AND the spoken instruction BOTH showing a 100-150 ft error ???
    If the error is only the spoken instruction ??? I'm thinking maybe a delay Bluetooth link ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 725 [Revered Pioneer]
    Accepted Answer
    Does your bike have a TFT screen.
    Some TFT screens distort the GPS signal. If so Try more distance and/or a aluminium plate between them.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,972
    Superusers
    edited July 10 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Hocks
    Welcome to the site....
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices' Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound, then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade, large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....
    Hocks wrote: »
    (Snip) On average when I'm right on top of a turn, I.e. indicators on, slowed for junction and starting to turn in, my Rider tells me that I am, anywhere between 100-150 ft away from the junction. What is going on (Snip)
    When the problem happens, is the Map display AND the spoken instruction BOTH showing a 100-150 ft error ???
    If the error is only the spoken instruction ??? I'm thinking maybe a delay Bluetooth link ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 725 [Revered Pioneer]
    Accepted Answer
    Does your bike have a TFT screen.
    Some TFT screens distort the GPS signal. If so Try more distance and/or a aluminium plate between them.
  • HocksHocks Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks for the comments people.

To answer questions, I don't have a TFT and both map and audio are out in unison regards the distance to next junction.

To start I'm going to take YamFazMan's advice and do a reset.

I'll let you know, thank you all!
  • HocksHocks Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi All,

Have restarted the device as per YamFazMan's advice.

The restart has sort of sorted things out, but now rather than showing me 100's of feet away from a junction when I'm there, now when I'm there, it shows I'm 50 ft away, which I can live with.

Is that discrepancy normal?

Thoughts please.

Thank you.