TomTom VIA 53 lost maps, can't get them back
However, as the current maps still did not reflect the changes in speed limits that happened in my home country, I finally gathered the courage to perform an update again today. Unfortunately this turned out to be a excruciating exercise as well.
What lead to this:
- Started the update via WiFi, while the device was charging
- When checking again after a while, it reports it has lost its internet connection; chose to retry
- Immediately after, a menu with privacy settings turned up, so the software seemed to have been updated
- After filling in the settings, TomTom restarts again, but updating is stuck at 6%
- Cancelled the update, with the intention to start it over again
Now the device is stuck in some odd loop, where it complains about the maps missing and giving the option to add one. Selecting that option will result in a screen showing the available space on the system and a link where to buy maps. Selecting the compass in the upper-right corner will take you back to the initial error message, but no other options are available (the "Menu" button appears for a fraction of a second, but can't be selected).
What else did I try:
- Updating maps in MyDrive: still connects to the device, and provides the option to update, but shows the "downloading items" screen for 1 second and then switches to the same ridiculous message that tormented me during the first update, amongst others stating that "MyDrive Connect needs to be running"(!) and basically locks the application as it does not respond to confirming the message using the button below.
- Deleting the maps in MyDrive: just goes on and on, ending with the message that the server is busy.
- Resetting the device, which (surprisingly) also does nothing; it shows the "recover" screen on the device, but MyDrive connect won't connect / doesn't respond to it.
Sorry for ranting, but I'm stunned by the amount of issues a seemingly simple update causes each time. Is it still possible to fix this somehow? Thanks for reading in any case!