Go Discover 7 Freezing, Restarting, Unusable — TomTom Community

Go Discover 7 Freezing, Restarting, Unusable

SVIGsterSVIGster Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
I have just taken my new Go Discover 7 on it its first drive and it was unusable. Set it up last night, connected phone, connected WiFi. Put it on the mount today and selected where I was going from My Places. Hung at the menu selection and would go past that. Restart device. Eventually get to point where it is good to start driving. After about 50 metres everything freezes. Restart device. Get going again and map freezes but GPS and directions continue but no movement of arrow on map. After a couple of minutes screen goes black comes back alive after 30 seconds, continues for a minute or two and freezes. Gave up on it until return trip and went through the above and more. As I said unusable. Any suggestions?
Tagged:

Comments

• bigbig Posts: 1,657
    Superuser
    That's definitely not normal -- the Discover 7 seems pretty stable these days. When the Discover is connected to WiFi at home, go into Settings -> Updates and New Items. Are there any updates? What version software is it running? (Settings -> System -> About).

• SVIGsterSVIGster Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Thanks. No, no updates available. I get the message that the Go Discover is up to date. It is software version 20.100.0046. Has date 28/01/2021 in brackets after the version no.
    Superuser
    Since it's a newly released device probably there will be a software update out soon. Perhaps your system somehow got corrupted? While you can try to reload the firmware it's not an easy task and might be worth just waiting a week or two to see if a new update is released.
  • simplysup2simplysup2 Posts: 26 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    It might be a power issue. Are you using the uprated car charger and usb cable supplied with the unit?
  • HonandalHonandal Posts: 19 [Master Explorer]
    We've had a lot of trouble connecting our new Discover 6 to our phone. The trouble is that there are several settings in the phone that need attention and the slim paper manual says very little. My Android Moto didn't have a front page Hotspot icon by default: you had to go in deep to Settings to make it display. May I suggest that TomTom should create a companion app for phones that automatically does all the technical nitty gritty to connect? I think we have mastered connection now but it took a lot of time and then the Discover worked well.
    Superuser
    There is a TomTom Mydrive app for Android and iOS. It doesn't exactly do things for you, though it might have helpful instructions. Also, once you have set up the app you can send destinations from the app to your Discover (or other TomTom) device..