Uk full postal code search stopped?

PS-Go
PS-Go Registered Users Posts: 6
Master Explorer
Hi, I am a longtime TomTom user 10 years +, using various products and iterations. I re installed the mobile app after device upgrade. Now the full postal code search function no longer works.

All maps are downloaded for the uk and the app simply searches “say” the first 3 digits and then offers multiple road options in the vicinity.

What solution ?
Fault with software?

Comments

• irina-shk
    irina-shk Administrators, Staff Posts: 20 Staff
    edited June 2021
    Hi @PS-Go can you give some examples?
    I just checked postal codes search and it seems to work fine.
    e7lzpwxpdfe8.jpgi6phlk7kal5o.jpg
    qz6tm054jpk2.jpg
    9rnylcir6qyk.jpg
  • PS-Go
    Master Explorer
    Hi, yes your system is showing a similar format to mine. This is not how TomTom worked previously. In your screen shot you will see that the system is prioritising “road name” over postal code. The previous software would search and prioritise the full postal code without the hinderance of prioritised “local or otherwise” road names.

Thanks for your reply.

• irina-shk
    edited June 2021
    @PS-Go Indeed something is wrong, I compared it to the old app, search results prioritized differently. I created a ticket GONAV-3376.
    Thanks for reporting it!
  • AmirMhmd
    AmirMhmd Registered Users Posts: 25
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    I had similar issue, i was searching a post code using tomtom through my car AA it was showing not found, but if i search in the same app over my phone the app finds the post code
  • PS-Go
    Master Explorer
    AmirMhmd wrote: »
    I had similar issue, i was searching a post code using tomtom through my car AA it was showing not found, but if i search in the same app over my phone the app finds the post code

Thanks for the input AmirNhmd, Irina-Shk has confirmed that the software is working differently to how it worked previously and that something could actually be wrong with it.

I presume we will receive update on the status once the developers have investigated and that we will be provided with any possible software "Patch" that becomes available sometime thereafter.
  • szachowa
    szachowa TomTom Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    AmirMhmd wrote: »

Hi @AmirMhmd , in my case searching for a post code works OK on Android Auto:
    xzu68fw3asz5.png

Could you please provide us more info to reproduce this issue? What post code did you search for, what map regions did you install in the app, and what was your rough location?
  • PS-Go
    Master Explorer
    irina-shk wrote: »
    @PS-Go Indeed something is wrong, I compared it to the old app, search results prioritized differently. I created a ticket GONAV-3376.
    Thanks for reporting it!
    Irina, Do you have any solution update thanks ?
  • irina-shk
    edited July 2021
    @PS-Go not yet:(
    This issue have to be fixed by search engine department, so we don't have any influence on it. I'll let you know when the fix arrives.
  • Springs
    Springs Registered Users Posts: 46
    Renowned Wayfarer
    A couple of months ago I came across a previous question about searching for UK postcodes (sorry - I don't have the date) but remember that the answer was to enter the UK postcode WITHOUT any spaces. eg. SW90RE instead of the normal way of using a UK postcode as SW9 0RE.
  • PS-Go
    Master Explorer
    irina-shk wrote: »
    @PS-Go not yet:(
    This issue have to be fixed by search engine department, so we don't have any influence on it. I'll let you know when the fix arrives.

Thanks for the input however we have identified a genuine issue with the software and Irina is pushing the correct department for a solution “thanks Irina”. I have used TomTom, sold TomTom and promoted TomTom for more than 15 years in its various iterations and sadly I feel myself beginning to “ lose faith” in the application.

It is more and more the situation that solid software solutions are developed to become less than they once were …… I might be of an earlier generation than many of the developers but surely some of the old sayings have merit today e.g. “If it’s not Broken - Don’t Fix it” ……..
  • PS-Go
    Master Explorer
    Any update on the awaited solution ?
  • RichieG
    RichieG Registered Users Posts: 7
    Master Explorer
    Me too, it's starting to be a real pain on the iOS App, I checked with the definition of a postcode (UK postcode spec) and it clearly states that the postcode is two distinct parts separated by a space so showing all these extra postcodes just because the second part matches is really confusing and wrong. I'm sure that TomTom use to show possible options for an uncompleted postcode too, so if you typed IP2 0T it showed all the possible finishing letter options for that postcode but I may be dreaming.

This is such core functionality that waiting 3 months for a fix is clearly very bad. Perhaps the search team needs a prod....
  • chris_tom2022tom
    chris_tom2022tom Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    It's about time Tom Tom came clean about this. This problem has been posted for the last 5 years so it's clear that Tom Tom have no intention of doing anything about it. Back to maps or use your mobile phone if you have one. These devices are effectively a waste of money if you want to use them in the UK.