Possible to add 'missing lane guidance' via mapshare? — TomTom Community

Possible to add 'missing lane guidance' via mapshare?

rabero1985rabero1985 Posts: 134 [Exalted Navigator]
Is it possible to add or suggest missing lane guidance in mapshare? I can't find the right option for it so quickly.

This discussion was created from comments split from: GO Navigation app 3.1 - Android Auto!.

Comments

• eddydceddydc Posts: 219 [Exalted Navigator]
    rabero1985 wrote: »
    Is it possible to add or suggest missing lane guidance in mapshare? I can't find the right option for it so quickly.

Coincidentally, I reported a week ago the lack on lane guidance (in the app) on the bridge of the N19 in Geel. One rejected it.
    It is never clear why one rejects things, since no possibility to get/give feedback. Yet another shortcoming of mapshare
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 442
    Staff
    edited May 24

I would use the "Other" category for that purpose.

In other category there is Lane Information, which seems OK to me for this type of a report.
  • rabero1985rabero1985 Posts: 134 [Exalted Navigator]
    @eddydc,
    Yes that's the one I also noticed and wanted to report or suggest n19 Geel. :)
    @eddydc,

Maybe you could give it a try an you've better luck than me.

Or maybe the map in mapshare is ok, but yet again not in the app. When is TT finally gonna keep their maps up to date in the app? Despite the weekly updates the maps are far from up to date to say the least.

A perfect example is the Diestsesteenweg starting from Tielt Winge all the way to Bekkevoort.

The app still shows this with a speed limit of 90km/h
    je8vyjwlc3px.jpg

whereas masphare shows it as
    9jmd3zpnw1yb.png

One has to know that the standard speed limit of secondary roads in the Flemish part of Belgium is set to 70 km/h since January 1st 2017. Before that it was already limited by traffic signs as long as I can remember. So plenty of time in order to get this reflected in the maps of the app. This is just an example, but I've encountered a multitude of incidents which are shown incorrectly, but correct in mapshare.
    I reported this X times to support and apart from standard copy/paste answers - only relevant for PND, one doesn't seem to have the knowledge of the map updates for apps - nothing seems to happen.

Despite the fuss and promises TT is making, the accuracy of the maps in the app is appalling. How can one trust the routes the app is making when the data is not accurate?

@szachowa can you do something about this in order that:
    - the app gets the most accurate/recent map info
    - have a better mapshare tool. Currently it's corny and has less functionality than the competition (Here, Waze, ...)
    - have the possibility on having/giving feedback on map reports (why something has been rejected).
    Staff
    edited May 24
    eddydc wrote: »

There is nothing more that I can do about this. Topic has been discussed multiple times, we are waiting for new map that will be updated more frequently.
    - have a better mapshare tool. Currently it's corny and has less functionality than the competition (Here, Waze, ...)

I can ask what are the plans for mapshare tool, but this requires time, that I'm lacking recently. Number of issues reported here is staggering, it is almost impossible for me to track everything that has been reported. As I mentioned before, for me it would be easier to have one thread per complaint, since following messages in long thread like this one is very problematic. It is easy to lose control.
    - have the possibility on having/giving feedback on map reports (why something has been rejected).

I can try to ask if there is such possibility in the tool. I don't know that.

Staff
    @eddydc,

Maybe you could give it a try an you've better luck than me.

Or maybe the map in mapshare is ok, but yet again not in the app. When is TT finally gonna keep their maps up to date in the app? Despite the weekly updates the maps are far from up to date to say the least.

A perfect example is the Diestsesteenweg starting from Tielt Winge all the way to Bekkevoort.

The app still shows this with a speed limit of 90km/h
    je8vyjwlc3px.jpg

whereas masphare shows it as
    9jmd3zpnw1yb.png

One has to know that the standard speed limit of secondary roads in the Flemish part of Belgium is set to 70 km/h since January 1st 2017. Before that it was already limited by traffic signs as long as I can remember. So plenty of time in order to get this reflected in the maps of the app. This is just an example, but I've encountered a multitude of incidents which are shown incorrectly, but correct in mapshare.
    I reported this X times to support and apart from standard copy/paste answers - only relevant for PND, one doesn't seem to have the knowledge of the map updates for apps - nothing seems to happen.

Despite the fuss and promises TT is making, the accuracy of the maps in the app is appalling. How can one trust the routes the app is making when the data is not accurate?

I reached out to person from Map Share team. I will keep you updated.
    @eddydc,

Just being curious, did you manage to report the lanes in mapshare?
    Staff

Hi @eddydc , about this point:
    - have the possibility on having/giving feedback on map reports (why something has been rejected)

I reached out to person from Map Share, and I got following response:
    Yes in Mapshare - My Reports section user can see reason for Not valid reports as Classification.
    If something is not correct to update in TT map or do not have more valid sources then we have to mark as not valid. In such cases we expect user to submit report with more valid sources like image/video/pdf/word as attachment support with report. That will help TT to evaluate report and check with sources.
    In future we are going to add functionality to reopen such cases and user can provided more evidence for reports which are marked as not valid.
    szachowa wrote: »
    Yes in Mapshare - My Reports section user can see reason for Not valid reports as Classification.
    If something is not correct to update in TT map or do not have more valid sources then we have to mark as not valid. In such cases we expect user to submit report with more valid sources like image/video/pdf/word as attachment support with report. That will help TT to evaluate report and check with sources.
    In future we are going to add functionality to reopen such cases and user can provided more evidence for reports which are marked as not valid.

There is indeed a classification, but that is rather meaningless. Eg Report ID
    8edcdf53-7016-43ac-90a1-1400747be5ca has the classification Specification Conflict

Beats me what the meaning of this concerning this report

I don't know what I can add. As always, I include a screen shot of Google maps Streetview.

dg26im6injur.png

The app doesn't seem to know the lanes, so I doesn't say that one needs to keep left in order to go to E313 direction Luik.

I don't know I can be more clear and I wished one would be even clear upon rejecting.

I'm not the only one having this map error. As you can see earlier, @rabero1985 wanted to report this map error.

Staff
    edited May 31

There is indeed a classification, but that is rather meaningless. Eg Report ID
    8edcdf53-7016-43ac-90a1-1400747be5ca has the classification Specification Conflict

Beats me what the meaning of this concerning this report

I don't know what I can add. As always, I include a screen shot of Google maps Streetview.

dg26im6injur.png

The app doesn't seem to know the lanes, so I doesn't say that one needs to keep left in order to go to E313 direction Luik.

I don't know I can be more clear and I wished one would be even clear upon rejecting.

I'm not the only one having this map error. As you can see earlier, @rabero1985 wanted to report this map error.

Hi @eddydc , I have no idea if this helps or not, but I found that there is separate channel on discussions forum about "Map quality":
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/categories/map-quality
    Is your house number not in the map? Need to let us know about a cool point of interest? This is also the place to talk about Map Share and the reporter tool.

When I pass messages from you to someone from Map Share, it is like playing telephone. Maybe it is better to use this forum directly.
    Hi @eddydc , I have no idea if this helps or not, but I found that there is separate channel on discussions forum about "Map quality":
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/categories/map-quality

When I pass messages from you to someone from Map Share, it is like playing telephone. Maybe it is better to use this forum directly.

As you might see, I've been posting multiple threads on mapshare, the out dated app, the lack of user friendliness and the refusal by TT of using governmental data in this subforum. So far, no one of TT even seem to bother to reply at all.

What else can I do? I've also raised issues concerning all this and all I get it is standard copy/paste replies not even within the scope of the subject reported.

I've been reporting > 250 map errors the last 1.5 year (voluntary) in the hope that one would have better map quality and so far the reaction by TT is rather poor.

All this rather frustrating. I start to wonder if TT even care.

• MegalosMegalos Posts: 6,071
    Superusers
    edited June 1

As far as I know, screenshots from Google Maps sources are always rejected. TomTom can't use competitor (Google Maps) data for their own map data (for good reasons). I seem to get better results when including from Mapillary images instead.
    edited May 31
    Megalos wrote: »
    As far as I know, screenshots from Google Maps sources are always rejected. TomTom can't use competitor (Google Maps) data for their own map data (for good reasons). I seem to get better results when including from Mapillary images instead.

The images are just a confirmation of my personal observations, not at source for the map.
    The source argument is rather nonsensical. The Flemish government offers all map providers access to their road data. According to TT support they refuse to use it.