GO Navigation app 3.1 - Android Auto! - Page 2 — TomTom Community

GO Navigation app 3.1 - Android Auto!

Comments

• Andy_BushmanAndy_Bushman Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    A new feature for the mobile app was to be able to optimise TomTom for electric cars which was a welcome surprise for me too.
  • dxgdxg Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    edited May 24
    So, aside from the offline maps, without the sidebar there's little to differentiate TomTom from AmiGo. And now that AmiGo has a better voice and - sadly - a much clearer interface on AA, I'm strongly swayed to adopt it as my main app.

Which is a shame, as I've been using TomTom since the days of an old HP iPAQ PDA with a GPS dongle on the end of a RJ11 cable - literally 20 years ago.

Maybe TomTom could get the sidebar (I realise from the above that it won't be easy) or at least AmiGo's larger and clearer speed (and overspeed) indications along with its visual (as in, obvious enough for the corner of the eye) camera warnings...

Oh, and both apps need clearer map displays in night mode. It's hard to see the roads when they are the same colour as the background...
  • eddydceddydc Posts: 298 [Exalted Navigator]
    edited May 24
    szachowa wrote: »
    eddydc wrote: »

@szachowa can you do something about this in order that:
    - the app gets the most accurate/recent map info

There is nothing more that I can do about this. Topic has been discussed multiple times, we are waiting for new map that will be updated more frequently.

That new map is the never kept promise for each version release, just like waiting for Godot.

We aren't talking about road changes of the past weeks, but speed limits for > 4 years old. This isn't serious anymore.

Can't things be forced in the forthcoming 'big' map updates i.e. a real cutoff of the latest mapshare data in order to have something whilst waiting for this so called new map release?

• MattiGMattiG Posts: 21 [Outstanding Explorer]
    This is a very good start: TomTom has launched quite a stabile beta version. "Quite" because a few observations about sudden disappearing guidance pop-ups (or whatever they are officially caklled) and missing voice guidance. Looking forward to seeing the actual product in the future.

Why is this a beta version in my point of view:

- No destination selection on the screen
    - No zoom buttons
    - No gesture zooming and panning
    - No road numbers nor exit numbers on the guidance pop-ups
    - Very stripped-down map rendering

The whole idea of Android Auto is to have active controls on the screen. TomTom's approach seems to be extremely minimalistic.

I have three shots as of today on the car display. The same place, about the same zoom level.

Car own navigator:

5p13k6bsyynz.jpg

TomTom:

mkj3bkz4le6a.jpg

Waze:

rozz0w8im2f1.jpg

IMHO, the rendering results of the car own navigator is clearly the best, Waze wons the silver medal, and then there is room for seven other apps not yet known, and the TomTom might be ranked a the 10th position. Lack of contrast, and no usable street classification visible

Some bugs inherited from the previous releases, like the incorrect classification of the Helsinki ring roads as motorways.

• BrainsieBrainsie Posts: 30 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited May 24
    MattiG wrote: »

- No zoom buttons

The first 3/4 points are all not possible at this moment due Google's restrictions on Android Auto. Comparing with Google Maps and (Google's) Waze is unfair at this moment.

Let's hope Google will change their policy for third party apps on AA.
  • L_T_CL_T_C Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hi, great that AA is there!

But... that is for those who use the Google Play version (v3.1.0 (4036)). The Huawei app store is still on version 1.3 (3416).

When will the 3.1.0 version be available on Huawei's app gallery?
  • paba2paba2 Posts: 41
    Staff
    L_T_C wrote: »
    Hi, great that AA is there!

But... that is for those who use the Google Play version (v3.1.0 (4036)). The Huawei app store is still on version 1.3 (3416).

When will the 3.1.0 version be available on Huawei's app gallery?

We gonna update Huawei version of Go app in incoming weeks, but Android Auto requires Google services to work so this feature will be missing.
  • Giuseppe68Giuseppe68 Posts: 75 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    hi, are there any updates planned for the beta regarding traffic color feedback on the ETA ??
  • solwisestevesolwisesteve Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    Upgraded to ver 3.1 last week. Previously I was using ver 3.0 with no issues on an Android 10 phone. Initially 3.1 was working fine on both the phone and also AA. Then it suddenly stopped getting location updates. It sits there showing my current location as outside my house all the time. I tried a full install and reinstall to no effect. Permissions show TomTom is allowed for Location.

Please help,

There is this known issue that we reported to Google, that GPS fix disappear on Android Auto head unit, whenever application is running on the phone with Android 10, currently we know about Samsung and Xiaomi devices.

As a workaround, please disable battery saving mode in settings for TT GO Navigation app.

Turning off battery saving and then restart the phone seems to have fixed this issue - thanks. :-)

On another point. Is it possible to get the AA display to show the current speed limit? At the moment I have a blank speed sign with my actual speed next to it. Am I supposed to see the actual speed limit inside the blank speed sign?

My old dash mounted TomTom used to do this.
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 6,074
    Superusers
    @solwisesteve Where did you observe the missing speed limit? Maybe the speed limit is missing in the maps. You can check the online Map Share Reporter tool to check what speed limit is currently in TomTom's map database.
  • MauiiMauii Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    On another point. Is it possible to get the AA display to show the current speed limit? At the moment I have a blank speed sign with my actual speed next to it. Am I supposed to see the actual speed limit inside the blank speed sign?

You probably have a MIUI device which has dark mode turned on. Turn the dark mode off for TomTom and the icons and speed sign will show correctly on the phone and also on AA.

Megalos wrote: »
    @solwisesteve Where did you observe the missing speed limit? Maybe the speed limit is missing in the maps. You can check the online Map Share Reporter tool to check what speed limit is currently in TomTom's map database.

All roads... well I drove through multiple different roads, 30/60/70/50 and no speed shown.
    Mauii wrote: »

You probably have a MIUI device which has dark mode turned on. Turn the dark mode off for TomTom and the icons and speed sign will show correctly on the phone and also on AA.

Yep... that sounds like it :-) I'll try that. Thanks.
    Mauii wrote: »

Yep... that sounds like it :-) I'll try that. Thanks.

Yes!!! :-)

Sorted :-)

Thanks
    traffic notifications in italy for AA they are very strange, today it happened to me on the motorway signaling with street names after indicating the type of motorway I was traveling on, so it does not make it clear where exactly the block or accident is, having nothing on the screen. . beta 3.1.9 AA
    Ver 3.1 with AA running on a Redmi 9 (Android 10).

This morning I've found the volume on TomTom is suddenly very loud! It's much louder than other audio I'm playing though AA. In fact at the first alert my wife and I both jumped in our seats it was so loud! How may I adjust the volume of the TomTom alerts and announcements? It was perfectly okay yesterday :-( I've tried rebooting the phone but it's the same - too loud.
  • GrzesBGrzesB Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Suggestions on a new route (quicker than current) are not clear enough. On a complicated crossing I was not able to to distinguish what I need to do to get the new route. Don't know how to fix it, but maybe zooming could be improved.
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 465
    Staff

This morning I've found the volume on TomTom is suddenly very loud! It's much louder than other audio I'm playing though AA. In fact at the first alert my wife and I both jumped in our seats it was so loud! How may I adjust the volume of the TomTom alerts and announcements? It was perfectly okay yesterday :-( I've tried rebooting the phone but it's the same - too loud.

Hi, thank you for the feedback.
    Other users of our app also mentioned this problem. We have reported internal ticket (GONAV-3304) to investigate this further.
    Staff
    GrzesB wrote: »
    Suggestions on a new route (quicker than current) are not clear enough. On a complicated crossing I was not able to to distinguish what I need to do to get the new route. Don't know how to fix it, but maybe zooming could be improved.

I can see in app settings that by default we should zoom in at instruction. This should also work when using our app on Android Auto head unit.

@GrzesB , just to confirm here, in your opinion the zooming in was not enough to distinguish suggestion on this complicated crossing?

Was the auto zooming working at all when this issue occurred? I'm asking, since we had some complaints on this forum about auto zooming that stopped working at some point.
  • MattiGMattiG Posts: 21 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Brainsie wrote: »
    MattiG wrote: »

- No zoom buttons

The first 3/4 points are all not possible at this moment due Google's restrictions on Android Auto. Comparing with Google Maps and (Google's) Waze is unfair at this moment.

No it is not unfair. The results talk, not reasons to not achieve results. If the Google API does not make it possible to implement a useful application, why then even try. Screen interaction is the number #1 thing in navigation.

GrzesB wrote: »

the fastest route appears in green.
  • EldewyEldewy Posts: 31 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I had an interesting problem yesterday and I am not sure if anyone else has reported it.

Music was lowered for TomTom to announce the next maneuver but TomTom didn't announce it, music channel got stuck in the dampened volume mode and TomTom didn't make any announcements for the entire trip.

It is as if TomTom took over the channel and everything got stuck.

Hi, thank you for the feedback.
    Other users of our app also mentioned this problem. We have reported internal ticket (GONAV-3304) to investigate this further.

A simple fix would be a volume setting on the App.
    edited May 31
    I noticed a strange thing in AA, in panorama mode the current speed moves to the left of the screen
    Beta 3.1.09
    Staff
    Giuseppe68 wrote: »
    I noticed a strange thing in AA, in panorama mode the current speed moves to the left of the screen
    Beta 3.1.09

Hi, would it be possible to grab for us some picture from you Head Unit when this issue occurs?
    What Android Auto version is installed on your phone?
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0