I need help putting my TomTom GO520 into recovery mode.

biggles1024
biggles1024 Registered Users Posts: 4
Neophyte Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
My TomTom GO520 will not boot. It displays an error message which means I have to connect it to my pc in recovery mode. Despite many, many attempts, I have been unable to put it into recovery mode. I have been trying to do this for quite some time.
I can get my device to the screen that displays white text and then I press and release the power button 3 times in quick succession, but the device then just tries to boot rather than displaying the wheel which would be my cue to connect the USB cable to it.
Please help.

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,343
     Superuser
  • biggles1024
    Neophyte Traveler
    Thanks for the link but I know how to put my TomTom into recovery mode, but the device won't go into recovery mode.
    When I reach Step 5 as shown on the page you linked to, neither the wheel nor the gear icons appear on the screen.

When I follow the instructions detailed in Step 5, namely connecting my TomTom to my laptop via USB, Mydrive Connect goes into an endless loop of recovering my device from 0% to 100%, then reboots the device and repeats the recovery going from 0% to 100%.

It seems to be a hopeless case. :(
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,343
     Superuser
    edited December 2020
    Hi
    @biggles1024
    From your description It looks like Recovery Mode has already initialized on your device....
    If Recovery Mode keeps going round in circles displaying the 'Updating' splash screen and doesn't start-up as normal after completing 100%....

Contact Tomtom support.... Email or Chat....
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed

(1)... A few tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

(2)... Tomtom FAQ how to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • biggles1024
    Neophyte Traveler
    Thanks for your help.

YES
  • Blacktrucker
    Blacktrucker Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    Hi, I'm having the same problem. Did you manage to get a solution?

Thanks
  • biggles1024
    Neophyte Traveler
    Hi, I'm having the same problem. Did you manage to get a solution?

Thanks

No, no joy. I have resigned myself to using TomTom on my iPhone and binning the GO 520. I'll never buy TomTom hardware again.