My laptop does not recognise my device — TomTom Community

My laptop does not recognise my device

when I connect my device to my laptop it does not recognise it and does not show on my devices and drives as being there
I checked the Device manager and my device does not show as being there so I followed all the instruction to uninstall the unknown device which had a yellow triangle on it but when I rebooted my laptop and plugged my device back in it still was not being recognised
Any advice please

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,987
    Superusers
    Hi
    @jacintainspain
    You haven't stated which Tomtom device you own ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superusers
    Hi Again...
    @jacintainspain
    when I connect my device to my laptop it does not recognize it and does not show on my devices and drives as being there
    I checked the Device manager and my device does not show as being there so I followed all the instruction to uninstall the unknown device which had a yellow triangle on it but when I rebooted my laptop and plugged my device back in it still was not being recognized
    Any advice please
    Check the USB port on the GO 510...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1134109/how-do-i-know-if-my-battery-is-charging/-1

ATB YFM
  • jacintainspainjacintainspain Posts: 61 [Master Explorer]
    Yup am afraid that's exactly what is wrong the USB port is u/s and now I cannot charge the battery up but thankfully it still connects via the windscreen cradle to at least I can use it but just cannot update it or charge it up
    Yes thank you but it appears according to Customer care and I quote: I would like to inform you that your TomTom GO 510 is out of warranty and the device is end-of-life because it doesn't have the technical capabilities to process our updated maps. so it cannot be repaired.
    Since you have been a loyal and valued TomTom customer, I can offer you a 25% discount and a free carry case on the purchase of a new Navigation device from the TomTom Webshop.
    Most of the new devices come with Free Lifetime map updates, Lifetime speed cameras, and Traffic as well.
    I would also like to inform you that the TomTom GO Classic device also comes with Lifetimes maps, but unfortunately, we do not have any offers for the TomTom GO Classic and the TomTom GO Discover devices.

However, it appears that is only offered on certain models which they have so far not informed what models that applies too, funny then that I go onto this site https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/account/details.html
    and I am offered 30% discount on all models including the one that I was informed was not subject to the 25% discount.
    I would like to take this further but it is impossible to make contact with anybody more senior so I will just post on various sites how I have been treated by TomTom Customer Care
    Disgusted
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,704
    Superuser
    Hi @jacintainspain

Is your GO510 unit the 2006 model with a serial number that starts V5 that uses an SD memory card only and no additional memory card ability. If so it has been declared obsolete some 2 years ago and so No updates , Operating software or new maps are available.

If you want to contact TT customer Support , Chat or Email only as there has been no phone line support since the start of the current crisis, then:-

Try the following:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and after a few seconds Get in Touch also appears
    Tap Get in Touch
    You are now offered Chat or Email. If Chat is closed, ie its not normal working hours Mon/Fri, it will tell you the hours that it will be available.

Chat is busy you may have to try a few times.

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug
    edited May 20
    Hi
    No my unit serial number starts with a QX code
    Thanks for the information I have actually found a contact email not for customer service but for their publicity department and have sent them an email, not sure I'll get a response but at least I have let them know how I feel about being offered an unknown new unit with a 25% discount and then finding that I automatically qualified for a 30% discount without going through Customer Care.
    I tried your suggestion but when I clicked on get in touch it went back to the previous screen giving me the option to post on a BOT which is no use at all
    Superusers
    edited May 20
    Hi
    @jacintainspain
    Yes, thank you, but it appears according to Customer care and I quote: I would like to inform you that your TomTom GO 510 is out of warranty and the device is end-of-life because it doesn't have the technical capabilities to process our updated maps. So it cannot be repaired (Snip)

mxczbik7ih0c.jpg
    Is your GO 510 one of the very early End of life NAV2 devices ??? Or one of the more recent NAV4 GO 510 devices ???

ATB YFM
    My model is 4FA50 001.06 but not sure how to find out any more
    The last map update was 10/2020
    Superusers
    edited May 21
    Hi
    @jacintainspain
    What are the 1st 2 characters of the serial number ??? The two letters define the Tomtom Model....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    First two characters are QX
    Superusers
    Hi
    @jacintainspain

cny022tq05wa.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,704
    Superuser
    Hi @jacintainspain

Based on the above your unit has not been declared obsolete and so should still be offered updates etc.

Doug
    As I have said the trouble is I cannot update this device as my laptop will not recognise it which I think is down to a faulty usb slot on the device but as I said at the start Customer Care are informing me of the device being unrepairable etc and offering me a 25% discount but when I mentioned a certain new device the 25% was not applicable yet on their own website it states that I can have 30% discount on any models
    I really think Customer Care should be renamed to Customer Don't care
    What is the point of purchasing a new device if the expected 'life time' is less than five years?
    I am very disappointed with TomTom and want to make a further complaint but of course you cannot get through to anybody to make a complaint so I guess all I can do is use social
    media to make my case
    Thanks
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,546 Moderator
    edited May 21
    Hi @jacintainspain
    Sorry about the confusion.
    The 25% discount is the standard discount we offer to all our existing customer to buy TomTom products on our webshop.

The 30% offer is probably a part of an ongoing marketing campaign.

I reviewed your recent chat with our customer service team where they have borrowed some time. The case needs to be discussed with the team to decide if we can come up with a better offer.

~ Vikram
    Thanks VikramK much appreciated
    I have actually found a website that offers a 30% on all Tomtom devices with a code so in fact Customer Care are really offering a loyal customer nothing that anybody else can get which I find is not really customer care
    My faulty machine 510 I have now been told was manufactured in 2013 and only has a shelf life of ten years then it is no longer maintained but as its only 2021 that is not ten years but anyway its obviously not able to be repaired, however I now understand why when I purchased my 510 I was given a 50% discount as a gesture of goodwill as it transpires the gesture wasn't really great as the machine was already three years into its ten year life span I was never told of that at the time.
    I feel very aggrieved and let down by Tomtom and to be honest I now cannot find any reason to purchase another device whatever the discount as my Waze phone app and my Google map app work perfectly well if with a much smaller screen but at least they are free so I cannot really justify any purchase of another device given my treatment with Tomtom
    Thanks for your help its much appreciated
    I will inform other via social media of my experiences in the hope they do not suffer similar issues