Adding new go discover to my account — TomTom Community

Adding new go discover to my account

Nathan_MNathan_M Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited May 9 in GO Discover & GO Expert
Hi guys,

im having trouble getting my new Go Discover to show up on my account online my old XL is on there and obviously no longer supported, the My drive connect app on my MAC just says this device updates via wifi and goes no further I am logged into my account on the discover should the device show on my account or do these new systems not appear?

Any help will ge greatly appreciated!

Best Answers

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,492 Moderator
    Hi @Nathan_M
    Could you send me the serial number of your GO DIsciver through a private message, please?

Thanks, Vikram
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks for sending the serial number @Nathan_M
    The device has been linked to your TomTom account. Please check for updates now..

Regards, Vikram
  • Nathan_MNathan_M Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks for the help @VikramK the device is now showing on my account it does say speed cameras aren’t activated but on the device it says activated, out of interest if I pay the 33p per month for 3 months it’s offering on the cameras will that be added to my free year or would it invalidate the free 12 months?
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Nathan
    The message on the account page is a website bug. See my reply to a similar topic here-
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1753644/#Comment_1753644

It's too early to renew the subscription, so I won't recommend doing it now.

Regards, Vikram
  • freespirit9freespirit9 Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
    edited May 16
    Having just purchased a Go Discover to replace my Go6100 because the voice instructions appear to have disappeared, I, too, like Nathan, am having trouble adding the new device to my account.
    Also I am supposed to have traffic and speed camera updates activated yet the traffic symbol on the device greys out and has an 'x' next to it whenever I start a journey.
    Help!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,666
    Superuser
    Hi @freespirit9

What phone have you linked via Bluetooth to your Discovery.

Doug
    Hi
    What has the phone and Bluetooth got to do with it?
    Genuine query as I'm not tech savvy when it comes to Bluetooth.
    Superuser
    edited May 16
    Hi @freespirit9

The Discovery devices do not have an inbuilt mobile sim so cannot connect to the TT servers on their own. You need to pair a smartphone with the unit so that it can receive the Traffic data etc using your phone as the data link.

Your GO6100 has an inbuilt sim so can act alone however the TT devices use a 2g sim and this system is beginning to be phased out in some countries.

Doug
    Thanks Doug.
    I'm afraid I don't really understand this new technology. I have a smart 'phone and I think it's paired but does that mean it wont communicate with the device if it's switched off?
    A message has just appeared saying I have to turn on Personal Hotspot (or Bluetooth Tethering).
    Make sure your phone is on, in range, and the Bluetooth Setting is open.

How does this affect registering the device to my account?
    edited May 16
    Further to the above I am attempting to pair the phone with the device and keep getting a pairing code/Passkey number which I don't know what to do with. I just press ok and both devices say they couldn't pair and to check the settings again (for the tenth time!) It now says couldn't pair because of an incorrect Pin or passkey.
    I have never had such trouble setting up previous devices. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    It now appears to be paired (I think)
    Superuser
    edited May 16
    Hi @freespirit9

When you pair your Phone with the Discovery both units should show a similar pairing number on them. You just accept the pairing code on the phone and the Discovery unit.

If you are using an Iphone then when you pair the devices you need to do the following.

Go to Settings/Personal Hotspot and turn the Hotspot On. You do not do anything other than select On.

You now go to Settings /Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth On.

You then go to Settings/Bluetooth on the Discovery and Tap Add Phone.

You will now see the Go Discovery unit appear on the Bluetooth Screen. Pair them by accepting the Pairing Codes at this time. Whenever you want to use the Go Discovery then you must first ensure that Personal Hotspot and Bluetooth are both turned On.

With the unit connected to the Phone then the unit should connect with Traffic etc.

I think with Android based phones then you need Bluetooth Tethering enabled.

Doug
    Thanks Doug.
    I think I've done everything that you have said (I use a Smart Phone) but when I drove out this morning the traffic icon on the SatNav was still greyed out.
    Yet in Systems->About it shows Traffic and Speed Camera Updates as Activated.

Also I don't appear to be able to register or add my new device to my account.
    The instructions tell me to plug in the USB cable on my laptop then a window comes up telling me that I can update it through WiFi. I unplug it and am then told to go through the above procedure again. (round and round in circles).
    Once again...Help! please
    Superuser
    Hi @freespirit9

By chance if you are using an iPhone have you got the Personal Hotpot turned off as it must be Selected in the iPhones Settings when linking the phone to the GO Discover unit not just when pairing.. I think on Android units its Bluetooth Tethering that must be selected.

Have you got the latest version of My Drive Connect. Although I can see the Discovery Unit I have listed on MDC when I click on it I get the splash screen saying I can do the updates via Wifi. Connecting your unit to your PC with MDC running only facilities the connection to the Internet via your PC rather than Wifi on your unit. So if you had no Wifi you would connect via your PC then when the splash screen appears you use the menu options on the unit to manage the updating etc as there are no tools within MDC to manage the updating etc.

Doug
    Thanks again Doug but it doesn't answer my question about my device being added to my account.
    The other devices I own appear and I have taken an older one off.
    I tap the "Add a Device" area and a screen appears telling me to connect my device to my computer using the USB cable. When I do that I get a screen telling me that I can update my device using WiFi.
    I don't want to update my device I want to ADD it to my account.
    Any suggestions? Thanks
    edited May 18
    In addition to the previous posting - the Device doesn't show up in the Device Manager or in File Explorer when it's plugged in using the USB connection even though it gives the confirmation sound.

ps
    Doing a bit of detective work, I have now found the device recorded in the "Devices and Printers" section of the Control Panel as "Remote NDIS Compatible Device #4" (Windows 10)
    Any chance of answering my question about adding my device to my account?
    edited May 19
    Hi @freespirit9
    Could you try few steps as below-

1. Disconnect the device from the computer.
    2. Perform a factory reset- Main menu- Settings- System- Reset
    3. Log-in to MyDrive on the device- Main menu Settings- MyDrive
    4. Now connect the device to the computer and open MyDrive Connect.

Do you see your GO Discover listed under your account?

Regards, Vikram
    Thanks for your response Vikram.
    I log into the site at different times so I have only just picked up your advice.
    Too busy at the moment but I will try your suggestion and get back to you with the result.
    Thanks again and fingers crossed.
    Oh Dear, I just found my original reply at about 10am had not been posted on to the forum.
    However, some 2 hours later, I followed your instructions and the device now appears on my account. Thanks for that.

But I had to go through all the resetting of my choices as well as pairing the phone again and panicked when all "My Places" didn't transfer (I have hundreds of them!).
    After plugging and unplugging the device from the computer and doing various other things which I didn't understand, "My Places" eventually appeared.

All I have to do now is get my head around this Bluetooth thing, tethering/hotspots/WiFi on or off and so on and see whether my Traffic and Speed Camera subscriptions actually work.
    Superuser
    edited May 22
    Hi @freespirit9

When you do a Factory Reset ie Reset Devic in Settings/system, then yo have to input all the information you did when you first got the unit and set it up. However if you have device set up so that it logs into My Drive whenever you are using it then it will update Home, Work but will not save any routes you have created on the GO Discover unit and saved there in My Routes.

Any routes that you create in My Drive on your PC or Phone App and saved there are saved to your account. If you have clicked the option for the routes to be synced to your device then when it logs in to My Drive either when you are on Wifi or Bluetooth all the data will sync with your device. Routes created and saved on the Device are not synced back to your account.. Be aware that routes created in My Drive and synced to the device are .GPX files and the routes are breadcrumb routes which means that the device will not take any notice of Traffic data but follow the route religiously. These routes have a Broken Shafted icon against them in My Routes. However Routes created and saved on the GO Discover device are .ITN routes so when selected will take note of Traffic Data. These files have a Solid shafted Icon against them in My Routes on the device.

Doug

Edited to remove reference to an extra memory slot
    Thank you Doug but I have no idea what you are talking about as I never mentioned anything about Routes being saved, just "My Places".

"If you want to save them to your account then insert a small memory card into the unit"

Also, perhaps you could tell me where this ""small memory card" slot is on this "unit".

Superuser
    Hi @freespirit9

I have edited my post to remove reference to an extra memory slot as the GO Discovery units do not have one.

I was indicating that following a Factory Reset that not only your My Places will be synced back to the device but your My Routes if you have any are also synced when the device logs into your account. I also was indicating a difference between Routes created in My Drive and synced to the device and Routes created on the Device and saved in My Routes.

Doug