GPRS status disconnected Switzerland — TomTom Community

GPRS status disconnected Switzerland

No GPRS connection in Switzerland

Best Answer

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,861 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @andiborer

Welcome to the community! This could be due to the 2G network closure that happened at the end of 2020.
    More information is available in our support article here

Thanks, Vikram

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,861 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @andiborer

Welcome to the community! This could be due to the 2G network closure that happened at the end of 2020.

Thanks, Vikram
  • LepreLepre Posts: 96 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @andiborer

Thanks, Vikram

Hi VikramK,
    but will the 2G network also be removed in Italy?
    How will traffic services work on the GO5200?
    Thank you
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,427
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Lepre
    Found this....
    See... https://iotbusinessnews.com/2019/12/05/95154-2g-3g-sunset-managing-a-real-life-case-study/

Italy Vodafone Italia S.p.A 2G shutdown 2025
    3G shutdown 2020

ATB YFM
  • AndrejaWAndrejaW Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes, 2G has been deactivated by the provider "Swisscom". However, another provider "Sunrise" still operates the 2G network in Switzerland. Why does TomTom not switch registration of the 2G SIM-card from Swissom to Sunrise? In this case many frustrated lifelong TomTom customers could still use GPRS until end of 2022 (this is how long Sunrise wants to maintain 2G).
  • chmarpiochmarpio Posts: 4 [Novice Seeker]
    So what is the status in Switzerland. Has TomTom left its customers for good? I hope not and hope to see a workable solution. I look forward to hearing from you. Cheers
    The "workaround" TomTom suggests is to buy a new device at 35% discount....
    Do they REALLY think I will buy another device if TomTom let me down with the old one?
    If TomTom does not improve the support I will switch to Google.
    Thanks Andreja. Indeed sh..t solution from Tom Tom. Me too, had been there customer for 20 years with several devices but in this case is over.
    How can they dare to call something like that LIFETIME? It is clearly a lie perhaps wrapped by marketing/legal cheat. And one more, if I had registered my device at their site which they encourage, how come they are not coming with a warning mail BEFORE the problem like this with 2G to start warning its customer and suggesting a solution. Total disqualification.
    Superusers
    edited May 8
    Hi
    @chmarpio
    The Solution for your GO 6200 is to connect your Smartphone over Bluetooth....
    Tomtom FAQ... Connecting your phone for DATA, hands-free calls, and smartphone messages
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013958659-Connecting-your-phone-for-data-hands-free-calls-and-smartphone-messages

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi YamFazMan
    Is this the only solution TomTom comes with? Connecting my smartphone means I need to pay for roaming costs when driving in other countries. Not sure how it is now but it used to be expensive. I bought that model just to avoid that - having a lifetime update and functionality - at least in europe. When I need to use my mobile, I guess I'm loosing a need to use tomtom as mobile would offer not only wifi but also plenty of applications.
    Is it really that tomtom left its buyers with such a lousy solution, claiming a lifetime feature to stimulate a device purchase at the first place?

Rgds
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,943
    Superuser
    edited May 10
    Hi @chmarpio

The inbuilt 2g sim in your unit should still work when you are not in Switzerland where the 2g system has been turned Off. Tomtom have indicated that using your device for an hour a day for a Month the approximate amount of data used for Traffic is 7mb.

Doug
    Thanks Doug
    Good to know what kind of data usage we are talking about.
    Cheers
    My TomTom GO 6100 does not support Bluetooth. I live in Switzerland and I mainly use my GO 6100 in Switzerland, but given the 2G deactivation by the provider "Swisscom" the usage of the GO 6100 is now severely limited.
    As I already mentioned earlier, another provider called "Sunrise" still operates the 2G network in Switzerland. TomTom could simply switch the registration of the 2G SIM-cards from Swissom to Sunrise. However, it looks like too few users are affected for TomTom to feel compelled to react....
    Superusers
    edited May 11
    Hi
    @AndrejaW
    Maybe use the Tomtom TMC Traffic Receiver....
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation/accessories/chargers-cables/traffic-receiver/
    The GO 6100 is in the Compatible Products list...

Tomtom FAQ... RDS-TMC coverage....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013898220-RDS-TMC-coverage
    Wikipedia... TMC (Traffic message channel)
    Here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel#Switzerland

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hello YamFazMan

Thanks a lot for sharing alternatives.

TMC service in Switzerland is broadcasted by the national television company (SRF). In 2017 SRF has decided to withdraw from the "traffic app" sector - but still offer a mobile-accessible traffic information service on the website: http://www.srf.ch/verkehrsinformationen. Therefore I'm not sure if TMC from SRF is a sustainable solution.

Abroad (e.g. in Germany) my GO 6100 still works incl. traffic information. In Switzerland I'm going to test "Google maps" on my smartphone for a couple of months. If this works I will turn my back on TomTom.

Thanks!
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 14,964
    Superusers
    @AndrejaW
    I dont like the style of goggel maps. Youcan have a look to the TomTo. AMIGO APP.
    That is a online App like maps with TomTom Traffic.
    Or check the TomTom Go Navigation App.

In the German Part of this forum an other user says that a Rds/TMC reciver works in Switzerland.