Route planning with multiple stops RIDER 550 — TomTom Community

Route planning with multiple stops RIDER 550

Wing06Wing06 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited May 4 in RIDER
I have recently purchased a tomtom rider 550 but prior to this I had an older generation tomtom rider. I used this with Tyre for route planning and would generate routes with multiple stops. The device would tell me ‘you have reached your destination’ each time I had reached a stop point. In order to generate the route I would add way points between stops. After each stop I would select continue itinerary and it would take me to the next stop.
It would appear I can no longer use tyre to plan and send the route to my new device in this way? I have tried to use tyre and save the route to the sd card as a tomtom ITN file but every way point becomes a destination?
Can mydrive be used to plan routes with multiple stops and get notification of reaching each stop point. How do I generate and save a track as opposed to a route?
I much preferred my old rider device.

Answers

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 699 [Revered Pioneer]
    You can plan a Route with multiple stops in MyDrive and use the “Send Stops” option to sent this route to your Rider. This route will become the active Route. (Max 20 Stops)
    Driving this route wil be the same as the ITN route (Max 255 Stops)

With the Sync Route as Track option the exact path including white via’s wil be saved in My Route both in MyDrive and your Rider.
    A track is only the exact path all stops will be removed.
    When the track is opened on the Rider a Route will be calculated over available roads on the map. Strange paths like u-turns can be filtered out during this process.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,427
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Wing06
    Welcome to the site....
    Maybe useful....
    .GPX Track....
    The Save & Sync option saves a .GPX Track... it's basically a bread crumb track that you follow....

.ITN Routes....
    I prefer .ITN Routes....
    A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route
    An .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

If you want to force a different route you simply add more stops
    Note... When you add the extra Stops Max Zoom right into the road
    Don't put the stop on the wrong side of a dual track road (Journey loop back errors)
    Don't put the stop up a side-road... It may guide you though a built-up area via side streets back to your route, instead of a u-turn
    Don't put the stop on a traffic Island always place a guidance stop further up road on the route after the required traffic island exit....

Using the MyDrive Web Route planner....

Using a .ITN Route planned on the MDW Route planner...
    The latest version of MyDrive Web Route planner....
    For .ITN Routes with NO Stops... The Menu Shows 'Send Destination'
    iiqpfjt825ei.jpg
    For .ITN Routes with Stops........... The Menu Changes to 'Send Stops'
    z9lgonvfc3fi.jpg
    The MyDrive Web Route planner only sends the route to the device as a Destination... Or if you add Stops it send it as a Route (But it is not automatically saved in MyRoutes)
    If you are using .ITN route and 'Send Stops'
    see my workaround below

x9kkavu7m0o4.jpg

qkw01ev5tv6s.jpg

Complex Twenty Stop .ITN Route Rider 400
    lv3gbgezr1sx.jpg

Be Aware .ITN Routes....
    If your starting point IS NOT your present location there's a BUG
    When using the 'Send Stops' option, during an "A" to "B" route transfer and when 'A' IS NOT your present location...
    The device drops Location "A"
    This bug also applies to Multi-Stop/Waypoint routes... 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...

Important....
    For a more detailed info about the 'Dropped 1st Stop Bug'
    Click on the Link...
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1198253/#Comment_1198253

This is the workaround method I use....

The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Get it Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

(1).... Plan my Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner (With or Without Stops as required)

(2)... Then Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon

8eaec27f-eba6-4332-bbb7-38ecfdac3110.png
    (4)... Choose the 'Send Stops' option... The route will sync to your device

(5)... The device will calculate your route from your 'Present location'
    (5.1)... The device will calculate your route using Stops in the order that you placed the Stops in the route
    (5.2)... If the planned Start of the Route is your 'Present location'... Then skip Bullet-point... (6)

(6)... When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon) 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from your new location

(7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the Route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note... (2) The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Wing06Wing06 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks for the responses but I think I have pretty much tried all of this. I think tomtom have gone backwards with their product. Mydrive is not as effective for route planning and my older rider was far more user friendly. I will persevere with my 550
    Thanks again.
    Wing06
  • LevispLevisp Posts: 73 [Supreme Navigator]
    Thanks YamFazMan. I have always saved routes created in MyDrive as tracks. Now I have an alternative method for routes. Brill.
    edited May 5
    have created a route with stops and I have dragged the proposed route to avoid motorways etc as per picture attached. If I send this to my device by pressing ‘send stops’ it creates a stop everywhere I have dragged the route to my chosen roads. Is this because I am not creating an ITN route? If so how do I choose to create it as an ITN route?
    Apologies if I am being stupid but I have never had an issue with my older device but I am really struggling with the 550

6yl4nfofjnxf.jpeg

This is what it looks like on my device, all of the stops and ‘way points’ to keep me on my chosen route become stops? It is shown as a route (solid arrow) when saved to my routes on my device.

lvzh3puhavmr.jpeg
    Superusers
    edited May 5
    Hi
    @Wing06
    See Wikipedia... Itinerary file
    Here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itinerary_file
    For The NAV4 & Latest (Wi-Fi) devices... Tomtom has chosen to use only one of the types of Stops that are available for use when planning an .ITN Itinerary Route...
    Now you have a Start-point an End-point and a 'Stop'
    The 'Stop' is a Universal Stop for all occasions....

Maybe useful... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1755650/#Comment_1755650

Stay safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks for the reply yamfazman, so I guess what you are saying is that you can no longer plan route in the way I used to on my old rider, I can plan a route with multiple stops but I have to let the device plan the route between them?
    If that’s the case it is very disappointing as it would appear Tomtom have taken a significant step backwards from a route planning planning point of view.
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Wing06
    Superusers
    edited May 6
    Hi
    @Wing06
    Wing06 wrote: »
    (Snip) So I guess what you are saying is that you can no longer plan the route in the way I used to on my old rider, I can plan a route with multiple stops, but I have to let the device plan the route between them?
    NO... You can still use the 'Universal' Stop as a route modifier.... It just means the device will announce "You have reached your Waypoint"
    Or... If the location is known in the database... "You have reached your Waypoint" + Announcing your present location
    Note....
    20 Stops Max for the MyDrive Web Route planner
    200 Stops Max for the MyRoute App
    I have used 50+ Stops with the Free, slightly quirky, but very good ITN Converter/Route planner (Not sure of the Max number of Stops)
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1753081/#Comment_1753081

Stay Safe ATB YFM
    Yamfazman I think I need to create some more trial routes and add a couple of stops and drag the route around to create a number of ‘way points’ and see if this works, I did try a route but I only put in 1 way point towards the start of the journey, when I passed this waypoint it announced you have reached your destination. This may have been the glitch mentioned earlier as it took this to be the start of the journey? On my previous model tomtom it didn’t announce that I had reached waypoints, it only announced I had reached the planned stops (destinations) along the route.
    Thank you for your help and patience.
    Wing06
    Superusers
    edited May 6
    Hi
    @Wing06
    I always plan a .ITN route... Start point --> End Point --> Then add Stop/s and Route Modifier Stops....
    I have only ever had a "You have reached your Waypoint" announced for a Stop/s and Route Modifier Stops....

Stay Safe ATB YFM