Route or Track — TomTom Community

Route or Track

ib12ib12 Posts: 12 [Apprentice Seeker]
I've been advised that tracks rather than routes should be used for navigating and have always used tracks. My question is, after loading a track there is not the option of avoiding roadworks or closed roads or making alternative routing unlike with a route there is the option to do this. I use a Rider 410 and I use MyDrive to download traffic info but this is of no use when using a track. The reason I use a track is that the planned route is exactly how I made it using MyRouteapp, if I use a route it sometimes ignores my preferred route and can select different roads for some unkown reason and if I waver off this will keep trying to send me back to a particular waypoint rather than automatically finding an alternative to get back on track.
So the question is, why no route options when using a track?

Answers

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 1,072 [Exalted Pioneer]
    track designed to follow only actual route
    cant change
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,992
    Superusers
    Hi
    @ib12
    A Route planned directly on the device generates a .ITN Route....

A Route planned using MyDrive Connect and saved to the device using the Save & Sync option is a .GPX Track... A .GPX Track is basically a breadcrumb track that you follow....

I prefer .ITN Routes....
    A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route
    An .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

If you want to force a different route you simply add more stops
    Note... When you add the extra Stops Max Zoom right into the road
    Don't put the stop on the wrong side of a dual track road (Journey loop back errors)
    Don't put the stop up a side-road... It may guide you though a built-up area via side streets back to your route, instead of a u-turn
    Don't put the stop on a traffic Island always place a guidance stop further up the road on the route after the required traffic island exit....

Maybe Useful....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1702945/#Comment_1702945

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • ib12ib12 Posts: 12 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Ok got that, so why can't a track be made adaptable like a route. So why not use route instead you ask. Well as I said in original question when transferring a route to the satnav it doesn't always match. When I plan a route I pick specific roads especially when leading a group ride and don't want to travel down uneccessary roads. But I also want the option when coming across a barrier such as a closed road a quick alternative. Is it just TomTom or does Garmin have the same working system?
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 758
    Superuser
    You may add some intermediate waypoints at key points to force the route as you wish.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 725 [Revered Pioneer]
    Planing and riding a route it is important to use the same map and routing preferences planing the route and driving the route to minimise changes between both.
    On a Garmin this is even more important than with your TomTom. (This is why you have to use the old dinosaur BaseCamp to plan reliable routes using Garmin)

An other way is using a lot of Stops. Because the TomTom Rider doesn’t support soft via points you must stop and skip stops using the current route menu.

This is why I use tracks more often. Using tracks you can find your own alternative at a roadblock and the Rider will pickup your track whiteout having to touch your Rider.
    When you don’t know an alternative use zoom. To show the original track just restart it whiteout hitting drive. Use the arrow above zoom to change the display mode an zoom to show more of your area.

The TomTom NDS GO app already calculates alternative routes at known roadblocks driving Tracks.