Slow screen response on 6250 — TomTom Community

Slow screen response on 6250

I've been using my 6250 Truck for a few months now and what was originally a bit of a niggle is becoming a real annoyance. From the menu screen, tapping any of the options takes 4-5 seconds for a response, often meaning I'm pressing it a few times more simply because I don't know if the device has recognised what I want. Is this standard on these devices or is this a fault?

Best Answer

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,278
    Superusers
    edited April 17 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @JohnWReynolds
    Welcome to the site...
    Firstly... Execute a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device....
    This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR
    Have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

2nd.... Try logging out of your Wi-Fi....
    I find the Wi-Fi devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when you 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection

(You can't actually log out you can only 'Forget' the connection)
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap (Modify) Icon
    Tap (Forget) Icon
    Tap (^) Icon Screen top right
    To verify the Wi-Fi is OFF Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) screen top right Wi-Fi logo with an 'X'

70e5b90b-25ce-4fca-994c-e836a17cb9fa.jpg
    To Reconnect to Wi-Fi.... For Updating etc....
    Tap on your chosen Wi-Fi
    Enter your Wi-Fi Password
    Tap Done
    Tap Connect

Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, the only other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection is for updating the device... I turn off (Forget) Wi-Fi by default and only login for updates
    It's no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

Superusers
    edited April 17 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @JohnWReynolds
    Welcome to the site...
    Firstly... Execute a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device....
    This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR
    Have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

2nd.... Try logging out of your Wi-Fi....
    I find the Wi-Fi devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when you 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection

(You can't actually log out you can only 'Forget' the connection)
    Tap on your Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap (Modify) Icon
    Tap (Forget) Icon
    Tap (^) Icon Screen top right
    To verify the Wi-Fi is OFF Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) screen top right Wi-Fi logo with an 'X'

70e5b90b-25ce-4fca-994c-e836a17cb9fa.jpg
    To Reconnect to Wi-Fi.... For Updating etc....
    Tap on your chosen Wi-Fi
    Enter your Wi-Fi Password
    Tap Done
    Tap Connect

Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, the only other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection is for updating the device... I turn off (Forget) Wi-Fi by default and only login for updates
    It's no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • JohnWReynoldsJohnWReynolds Posts: 12 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for you reply. I do regularly reboot the device (as a long time Windows user I get used to doing this with most devices. Shall try the WiFi disabling option.
    Hi again, further to the wifi suggestion, I've turned off the bluetooth because I realised that my phone was connecting to both the 6250 B/T (which was never used) and the truck's B/T, which was always used, so not using the 6250 Bluetooth seems to have made it more responsive. We shall see how it goes.
    Superusers
    edited April 17
    Hi
    @JohnWReynolds
    Re The Bluetooth Connection + The MyDrive App
    Also be aware If you are using the MyDrive App on a Smartphone, with the MyDrive APP connected to the GO 6250 over Bluetooth, plus if you have the Data & other services switched on in the Bluetooth Setting Menu....
    The Bluetooth/Phone connection will have higher/priority and override the Built-in GPRS SIM....

dtsfwp43pa9e.jpg
    wkkikyhv4wmt.jpg
    If you are using iPhone with iOS 13 + And the MyDrive APP....
    See.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1745255/#Comment_1745255

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks for that, I've removed the phone connection completely as I don't need it for any reason.
  • DJSheridanDJSheridan Posts: 124 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi @JohnWReynolds
    Have you got an SD Card in your unit?
    If so is your main map on that as opposed to the internal memory?
    Just as another suggestion it might be slow because the unit is accessing the SD Card (I found this).

So connect to My Drive Connect and then check where your map(s) is. Then see if you can make the map smaller (IE if Europe then just amend it to Western Europe or whatever you just need) then once the update has done it should have moved the map from the SD Card to the internal memory.

Then your unit will fly! Mine did.
    Thanks for that, the map is already on the internal memory. The disabling of Bluetooth seems to have had a noticeable effect, shall see how it goes after a few days use. Back to London tomorrow :/
    Superusers
    edited April 18
    Hi
    @DJSheridan
    I have never had a problem running the Main Map on a Memory Card
    If you use a Quality Branded 16GB or 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card from a reliable source you shouldn’t see any reduction in performance using the device.....

Maybe You had one of the many Counterfeit Micro SD Cards ???
    There are lots of Videos online... How to identify a FAKE Micro SD Memory Card... Just Google 'Counterfeit Micro SD Cards'
    They can visually be very convincing
    For more Info...
    See.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1722552/#Comment_1722552

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi, the memory card isn't at issue, though I know the one I use is a genuine Transcend Class 10. Once the unit is navigating there are no issues with the routing/display, it is purely the delay in the touch-screen input that is infuriating and it was the first time that I have come across it with any Satnav, even cheap EBay ones.
  • DJSheridanDJSheridan Posts: 124 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @DJSheridan
    I have never had a problem running the Main Map on a Memory Card
    If you use a Quality Branded 16GB or 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card from a reliable source you shouldn’t see any reduction in performance using the device.....

Maybe You had one of the many Counterfeit Micro SD Cards ???
    There are lots of Videos online... How to identify a FAKE Micro SD Memory Card... Just Google 'Counterfeit Micro SD Cards'
    They can visually be very convincing
    For more Info...
    See.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1722552/#Comment_1722552

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Yes I do have a genuine SD Card @YamFazMan - I always ensure of that.
    But after checking with several computer people they all claim that any secondary connection on any device be it computer, camera, etc. including a Sat Nav can cause issues although shouldn't do as they of contact connection (IE you insert and remove etc. like a USB drive) as opposed to direct internal contact.
    Reason is that abrasion and dirt, dust, etc. can migrate onto the contacts and cause issues.

Like I said though - i found this issue and once on internal it flew quickly with no slow response.

It was just a suggestion though =)
    Superusers
    edited April 18
    Hi
    @DJSheridan
    DJSheridan wrote: »
    (Snip) They all claim that any secondary connection on any device be it computer, camera, etc. including a Sat Nav can cause issues, although it shouldn't as they of contact connection (IE you insert and remove etc. like a USB drive) as opposed to direct internal contact.... (Snip)
    Yes recently there have been few reports of devices hanging at Start-up (SDHC Card + Map) or not receiving Live Traffic (GPRS SIM)... I think the card contacts can oxidize over time and removing and replacing the card a few times usually remakes the connection...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM