No alternative (faster) route chosen — TomTom Community

No alternative (faster) route chosen

Joe_Bernard1Joe_Bernard1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi all,

Using TomTom out of the idea that a paid sub performs above the free services.

Past friday I drove home from work, with the app (and 4G) enabled. Coming close to a traffic jam (a usual one, at a tunnel-entry), TomTom did show me the red indicator and the added time. But it did not choose the available free lane, but chose to get in line and stay in the jam.

I then manually (humanly) chose for the parrallel free lanes and flew past. Giving me a net gain of 15min.

How is this not choosing for the fastest route possible?
(when the initial route was set to ‘fastest’).

Best regards and eager to learn,
Joe Bernard
Tagged:

Answers

  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,314 Moderator
    Hi @Joe_Bernard1

    Welcome to the Community! We now have the 'decide by steering' functionality, So now you see a green faster route proposed and you simply drive that way to take the faster route. The GO app shows (in a different color) a possible upcoming alternative without you're asking for one, and then if you start driving on it, it will activate that alternative.

    You can choose it just by driving there or not by continuing on the current route so there is no direct interaction with the app.

    Regards, lampard
  • Joe_Bernard1Joe_Bernard1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Lampard,

    Thanks for your kind and insightful reply.

    Yes, I am aware of the green alternatives shown (both in the map and in the timeline on the right). It has helped me a few times already :)

    But that’s the thing, in this case, they weren’t shown.
    The free lanes were just grey. It was as if the lanes available weren’t recognized. And to add, in the past, the app did show me the fast lanes.

    Is there a way to recollect that route, so I can show it to you?

    For the record, my last settings were that the app always chose the fastest route (instead of asking). But it seems that option is traded in for the green alternatives?
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,314 Moderator
    Hi @Joe_Bernard1

    Good to hear that. I'll check with my team about the grey free lanes.
    Is there a way to recollect that route, so I can show it to you?
    If you can provide us with the start and endpoint of this trip and the exact location where it happened, we can try to reproduce this.
    For the record, my last settings were that the app always chose the fastest route (instead of asking). But it seems that option is traded in for the green alternatives?
    Yes, the option is removed.

    Best, lampard
  • nigelbbbnigelbbb Posts: 56 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi @Joe_Bernard1

    Good to hear that. I'll check with my team about the grey free lanes.
    Is there a way to recollect that route, so I can show it to you?
    If you can provide us with the start and endpoint of this trip and the exact location where it happened, we can try to reproduce this.
    For the record, my last settings were that the app always chose the fastest route (instead of asking). But it seems that option is traded in for the green alternatives?
    Yes, the option is removed.

    Best, lampard

    Removing that option is not what users want. We want to have our satnav to always take the fastest route not quietly show us an alternate faster route that we can easily miss if we don't have our eyes on the satnav.
  • Marek_MkZMarek_MkZ Posts: 40 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    nigelbbb wrote: »
    We want to have our satnav to always take the fastest route not quietly show us an alternate faster route that we can easily miss if we don't have our eyes on the satnav.
    Hmm. I wouldn't say so - IMHO I always want to know what the alternate route is before I follow it, so for me it is not well if navigation decides which route should I take, and thus present solution is very OK for me. But, to be clear, I'm using Android ver. where still there is a choice for that.
  • Joe_Bernard1Joe_Bernard1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited April 1
    lampard wrote: »
    If you can provide us with the start and endpoint of this trip and the exact location where it happened, we can try to reproduce this.

    Sure thing, Lampard!

    - Starting Point: Ter Aar, The Netherlands
    - End Point: Zaandam, The Netherlands

    It happened approaching the Coentunnel, on the highway A5 merging into A10.

    Thanks for trying to clear this up! :)
  • m4rkwm4rkw Posts: 18 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I agree that removing the option to "always take the fastest route" was a really bad design choice. It makes the product significantly worse with no benefit at all.
  • gallafentgallafent Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    Marek_MkZ wrote: »
    nigelbbb wrote: »
    We want to have our satnav to always take the fastest route not quietly show us an alternate faster route that we can easily miss if we don't have our eyes on the satnav.
    Hmm. I wouldn't say so - IMHO I always want to know what the alternate route is before I follow it, so for me it is not well if navigation decides which route should I take, and thus present solution is very OK for me. But, to be clear, I'm using Android ver. where still there is a choice for that.

    Interesting that this option is still available in the Android app. The important point here is that it was an option. The “green lines” / “steer to choose route” option (which in my view is a user experience disaster, and actually genuinely dangerous when you try to use it on real roads) is equivalent to the old “ask me so I can choose” option.

    If the three options were restored, then “always choose fastest route” could continue to work as it has for over a decade (so that drivers that want this option can just use it, without the significant distraction and increased cognitive load of the active green-line choice that one is now forced to use), and the “ask me so I can choose” can be “enhanced” with the green lines, if Tomtom is so in love with this new feature (though the old way of working, where the user can just tap the notification that says “take the faster route” should be restored, since that's far easier to use).

    As it is, the function of the app has been fundamentally reduced (to my mind, crippled) by the removal of the “always take the fastest route” option.

    In the end, from my perspective, the removal of the “always choose fastest route” option is a complete deal-breaker. I've cancelled my subscription as a result, and now I'm learning my way round using Google Maps for this purpose, which (of course, as any sane sat-nav would) does automatically reroute as conditions change. It's unfortunate, since I've been a happy user of Tomtom's products since some time around 2006, and much of its UI remains excellent.

    It's just baffling to me (and clearly to many others here) — automatically choosing the fastest route as conditions change is an essential key feature for a sat-nav system, and it's one which has been available in Tomtom's mobile apps for around 15 years. To remove it now even as an option is crazy. I'm amazed that nobody at Tomtom has yet seen fit to admit this here, and I'm absolutely astonished that this UX change, and removal of a fundamental feature, made it through to production.
  • gallafentgallafent Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    lampard wrote: »
    You can choose it just by driving there or not by continuing on the current route so there is no direct interaction with the app.

    This is a simple contradiction in terms, obviously. To have to look at the app, see the green line, and follow it, in order to go on the fastest route, is an interaction with the app. It is more complex, distracting, and requires far more work by the user, than the previously available “do absolutely nothing” which was provided by the “automatically take fastest route” option.

    There are other insane connotations too … while approaching a junction, and “steering to choose”, the voice instructions continue, and they are telling you to take the slower route! … as a driver you have to actively ignore the voice commands and instead keep on looking at the screen (eyes off the road) to see where you are supposed to go to get onto the fastest route.

    The vital option which was silently removed (with no warning, so those of us could have not upgraded in order to retain it), to “automatically take the fastest route” genuinely required no user interaction with the app, you just continue to follow its prompts as usual and you get the fastest route without having to choose it actively.

    Has Tomtom done its competitive landscape research, I wonder? Is anyone here aware of any other sat-nav software, which has traffic info available, which does not provide an option to reroute automatically as conditions change?
  • Rob19Rob19 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi @Joe_Bernard1

    Welcome to the Community! We now have the 'decide by steering' functionality, So now you see a green faster route proposed and you simply drive that way to take the faster route. The GO app shows (in a different color) a possible upcoming alternative without you're asking for one, and then if you start driving on it, it will activate that alternative.

    You can choose it just by driving there or not by continuing on the current route so there is no direct interaction with the app.

    Regards, lampard

    Lampard
    As indicated by users in this thread and elsewhere (see, e.g., Decide by steering is just stupid, how did this happen?“) decide by steering is a disaster in the real world. Is there any intention by tomTom to change this back to something that works? So far I have stayed with the Go App but my patience is not unlimited.

    Please advise.
  • Buffcoat48Buffcoat48 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    edited June 17
    Hi - this taking away of the instant re-route to fastest route is not only not what your customers want but dangerous too.

    I had a situation recently where I was going home from work and the app gave me a choice by steering that meant I would have had to cross three lanes of traffic on a roundabout in a very dangerous manner in order to take the faster route. As I was in no position to take this the route I had to continue down a slip road straight into the back of a 20 minute traffic jam. Had the app behaved as previously I would have avoided this jam - which is as I am sure you agree the whole point of using the app.

    I have used this app for over 10 years but have had to start using w a z e as this change is dangerous / stupid and unwanted.

    Please restore this functionality as soon as possible or you've lost a customer
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online in this Category0