No alternative (faster) route chosen — TomTom Community

No alternative (faster) route chosen

Joe_Bernard1Joe_Bernard1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi all,

Using TomTom out of the idea that a paid sub performs above the free services.

Past friday I drove home from work, with the app (and 4G) enabled. Coming close to a traffic jam (a usual one, at a tunnel-entry), TomTom did show me the red indicator and the added time. But it did not choose the available free lane, but chose to get in line and stay in the jam.

I then manually (humanly) chose for the parrallel free lanes and flew past. Giving me a net gain of 15min.

How is this not choosing for the fastest route possible?
(when the initial route was set to ‘fastest’).

Best regards and eager to learn,
Joe Bernard
Tagged:

Answers

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,238 Moderator
    Hi @Joe_Bernard1

Welcome to the Community! We now have the 'decide by steering' functionality, So now you see a green faster route proposed and you simply drive that way to take the faster route. The GO app shows (in a different color) a possible upcoming alternative without you're asking for one, and then if you start driving on it, it will activate that alternative.

You can choose it just by driving there or not by continuing on the current route so there is no direct interaction with the app.

Regards, lampard
  • Joe_Bernard1Joe_Bernard1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Lampard,

Thanks for your kind and insightful reply.

Yes, I am aware of the green alternatives shown (both in the map and in the timeline on the right). It has helped me a few times already :)

But that’s the thing, in this case, they weren’t shown.
    The free lanes were just grey. It was as if the lanes available weren’t recognized. And to add, in the past, the app did show me the fast lanes.

Is there a way to recollect that route, so I can show it to you?

For the record, my last settings were that the app always chose the fastest route (instead of asking). But it seems that option is traded in for the green alternatives?
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,238 Moderator
    Hi @Joe_Bernard1

Good to hear that. I'll check with my team about the grey free lanes.
    If you can provide us with the start and endpoint of this trip and the exact location where it happened, we can try to reproduce this.
    For the record, my last settings were that the app always chose the fastest route (instead of asking). But it seems that option is traded in for the green alternatives?
    Yes, the option is removed.

Best, lampard
  • nigelbbbnigelbbb Posts: 44 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi @Joe_Bernard1

Good to hear that. I'll check with my team about the grey free lanes.
    If you can provide us with the start and endpoint of this trip and the exact location where it happened, we can try to reproduce this.
    Yes, the option is removed.

Best, lampard

Removing that option is not what users want. We want to have our satnav to always take the fastest route not quietly show us an alternate faster route that we can easily miss if we don't have our eyes on the satnav.
  • Marek_MkZMarek_MkZ Posts: 36 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    nigelbbb wrote: »
    We want to have our satnav to always take the fastest route not quietly show us an alternate faster route that we can easily miss if we don't have our eyes on the satnav.
    Hmm. I wouldn't say so - IMHO I always want to know what the alternate route is before I follow it, so for me it is not well if navigation decides which route should I take, and thus present solution is very OK for me. But, to be clear, I'm using Android ver. where still there is a choice for that.
  • Joe_Bernard1Joe_Bernard1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited April 1
    lampard wrote: »

Sure thing, Lampard!

- Starting Point: Ter Aar, The Netherlands
    - End Point: Zaandam, The Netherlands

It happened approaching the Coentunnel, on the highway A5 merging into A10.

Thanks for trying to clear this up! :)