Updates is very slow — TomTom Community

Updates is very slow

TonyWestTonyWest Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
TomTom 620 Go WIFI
Hello, my device has now been updating for 17 hours for a 9gb update, and is still only on 69%, my internet is fine 50mbs, it is only this device that seems to have problems with my speed.
This is ridiculous amount of time, i am almost at the stage of being too scared to update the device..

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,256
    Superuser
    Hi @TonyWest

If you Tap Menu, Tap Settings, Tap Wifi and Tap the Named Wifi you should get a list of data on the Left hand side. What is the Connection speed being indicated. The further away from the Wifi source the lower the figure is likely to be.

Are you downloading directly from the Wifi source or have you connected your GO620 to your PC.

Doug
  • TonyWestTonyWest Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Doug,
    i cant look at that at the moment, as it is STILL downloading/updating 73% in 18 hours,
    But it is connected directly to the router via wifi, the problem is not here with my setup, as it is the same at my girlfriends place.
    There were 2 updates showing
    Europe map at 9gb and
    UK map at 0.9gb.

I cant go through this every time i need to update the device, its ridiculous, and the problem is, once you have started it you can not stop it without loosing all the data.

Thanks
    Tony
    If there is anything i need to do to the router eg... opening ports etc.. please let me know, i know my way around the router config etc...

Tony
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,668
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @TonyWest

I have Virgin Media Broadband Fibre Optic 110Mb/s connection....
    My GO 6200 shows Wi-Fi connection... 72Mb/s
    I chose the 110Mb/s hard-wired connection

I Installed the 9.13GB Full Europe Map over USB with MDC running in the background
    The Map installed and device ready to use... 20 Minutes 15 seconds (Stopwatch)

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re GO 620 normally update using Wi-Fi...

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
    Hi,
    But i can not do anything at the moment, as it is still updating 77% and stopping the update, will loose all the maps etc... so i have to wait for this ridiculous process to finish...
    Superuser
    Hi @TonyWest

Okay. I am no expert on routers so can't help you there. I have the GO Camper and have broadband that is circa 60mps plus. I was able to download the 4 world map updates, including Europe and North America that come with the unit, yesterday and certainly have not had the problems you have with yours.

You say you have both Europe and the UK map on your unit which is a very good idea as the unit will only be downloading one map at a time so in the event of a problem during a download it should only affect the map being processed.

Firstly I do all my updating, including Maps, one item at a time. If you have selected all to be downloaded then in future I would change to one at a time.

The advantage of having the UK map on it as well, I have Venezuela as only 29mb, if you are updating the Europe map and it fails and you lose the map the unit will still have a map thus enabling it to be able to start up and you can then try to reinstall the Europe map.

It also recommended that you do a Soft Reset after updates as it tidies things up on the unit. Hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20n seconds until you hear the drumroll sound then let the button go.

Hope you get sorted.

Doug
    Thanks for the tips Doug, i will do them one at a time in future. as afar as i can tell, my device 620 go Wifi will only update over wifi, is that correct?
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @TonyWest
    TonyWest wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips Doug, i will do them one at a time in future. as afar as i can tell, my device 620 go Wifi will only update over wifi, is that correct?

See Option (2)
    here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1650607/#Comment_1650607

ATB YFM

Superuser
    edited June 2019
    Hi @TonyWest

You can also update using your PC but it is not like you are probably used to..

if you load the MyDrive Connect software onto your PC and boot it up and log into your account then Connect your GO620 to the PC when the software sees it you get a screen that says Do your Updating to best way ie as you do it now via Wifi. If you ignore that message and use the menus on your GO620 to process the updates, just as you do at the moment, then you will be able to update your GO620 but you are only using your PC as a Wifi source. It is possible for someone to be browsing the internet on the PC whilst this is going on with MDC is in the background.

I think the easiest way to understand this is if you have health problems which stop you having Wifi in your house and all your Internet connections are available by wired connection to your PC's etc then you have no signal for your GO620 to connect too. In this case being able to connect to the PC gives an Internet connection for the GO620 as it is using the PC as a Wifi replacement..

Using this method is recommended by Tomtom if your Wifi speed is below 30mbs although I think you will get away with it at a lower speed than that.

ATB

Doug
  • brownzbrownz Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I've had this with my 5200 since day 1. Utterly ridiculous download times. I tend to leave it overnight as the 9gb Europe map normally takes around 13hours. Nothing wrong with the WiFi setup or the pipe. Just accepted that the TT servers are junk and they don't really GAF about trying to do anything about it. Latest map update that came out in the last week won't even complete download. Love the unit - it takes me all over Europe, but this update issue really darkens what should be a painless experience.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @brownz
    My NAV5 (Wi-Fi) GO Premium
    Virgin Media Broadband 100Mb/s
    Speed Connection test 112.8Mb/s...

The fastest Wi-Fi connection displayed on my Go Premium is 72Mb/s
    I guess that's the Max Connection speed on the NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices....

bkeqc7g3p17m.jpg

My downloads on the GO Premium over USB With MDConnect running in the background are notably faster using USB than over Wi-Fi....

Full Europe map v10.55... Size 8.91GB
    PC Hardwired back to the router, connected over USB, MyDrive Connect running in the background.... 16 minutes 41 seconds (Stopwatch)

My NAV4 GO 5000....
    Full Europe install no problems ....
    Map installed, device ready to use... 55/65 minutes....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • woldsweatherwoldsweather Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    TonyWest wrote: »
    TomTom 620 Go WIFI
    Hello, my device has now been updating for 17 hours for a 9gb update, and is still only on 69%, my internet is fine 50mbs, it is only this device that seems to have problems with my speed.
    This is ridiculous amount of time, i am almost at the stage of being too scared to update the device..

Got mine yesterday. Also taking 17+ hours to update. It is connected to PC via USB and PC to router via ethernet so not a wifi issue. I get 25mbps download speds.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @woldsweather
    9GB file downloaded 25 Mbs/p = 51 Minutes 32 Seconds...
    See... Download time... Calculate the required time for download of data.
    Here... https://www.download-time.com/

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • leexgxleexgx Posts: 35 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited March 21
    Unfortunately it seems like it only uses 2.4ghz band

Unsure if the tomtom Units support 40mhz band (check router and make sure 40mhz is forced enabled as that can double the WiFi speed upto from 75mb to 150mb or 300mb where supported)

Remember WiFi runs about 40% ish slower then the listed connected speed

(I am Currently extremely disappointed with MyDrive connect for usb only tomtom. 52 I got here, its treating not installed maps as updates and it stupidly downloaded 34gb of maps on a 14mb adsl, I am never going to use the zones because the euro zone witch is 7gb covers it all)
    Superusers
    Hi
    @leexgx
    leexgx wrote: »
    Unfortunately it seems like it only uses 2.4ghz band (Snip)
    Correct... The NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices only connect over 2.4 MHz Wi-Fi networks or USB + MyDrive Connect....

The latest GO Discover Connects over 2.4 MHz and 5.0 MHz Wi-Fi networks....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • gmc1963gmc1963 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I have a similar problem on multiple wifi networks, all of wich are over 40mb/s with strong connections. My iPhone next to the satnav has just returned 42mb/s on test.
    The only common factor is the TomTom Go Premium
    The download starts quite quickly and stalls, moving forward at about 1% every 3-4 minutes or so
    Superuser
    Hi @gmc1963

If you are downloading the latest map updates immediately after they have been released they are often slow with so many downloading at the same time.

Doug