Smart 52 - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Smart 52

2»

Answers

• JonathanGJonathanG Posts: 30 [Master Explorer]
    For 5 inch TomTom Car Sat Nav GO 5200, on Amazon UK, 2rd option is NAV + MOUNT + CHARGER - does this mean that GO 5200 does not come with either WINDSCREEN MOUNT or CHARGER???
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Handsfree-Lifetime-Smartphone-Capacitive/dp/B08PS5FFFK/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=tomtom+go+5200&qid=1615140496&s=electronics&sr=1-5&th=1
    PS - I meant 3rd option, not 2rd option, on same page
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,126
    Superuser
    edited March 7
    Hi @JonathanG

My apologise but the GO520 comes with lifetime Cameras as well ad Maps and Traffic.so all the services are free you just need to link to your Smartphonelso the GO520 and the GO5200 come with Worlds maps so you can download any map that Tomtom do to the unit whenever you want. So if you go to the USA for example you can download the USA map to the unit at no cost. Be aware that Traffic only works within Europe

On the models that I listed during the setup you input your Wifi's password and then it connects automatically when the unit is on at home. You can also associate with other Wifi's but not ones that require account entry details like McDonalds.. When you turn the unit on and it connects to your Wifi the unit will tell you if there are any available updates. If there are you just go to Updates and New Items in the units Settings menu. There you select any updates one at a time preferably then the unit starts downloading it to itself without you needing to be connect it to a PC if you don't have Wifi, maybe for health reasons or the Wifi is slow.

All the units come with Wdscreen mounts, USB cable and Cig Charger. The mounts referred are Sticky backed disks to fit on the Dashboard which you then fit the Mount on if you don't want to put it on the Windscreen.

Doug
    I must confess I am drowning in options. Now, not only GO5200 but also GO520 as well. Why are things so complicated??? I personally would prefer to avoid using my phone or BlueTooth or anything down these lines. Basically, I need just 1 suggested model, where all updates can be down on my computer. Does such an animal exist in the Tomtom zoo? I don't really need all the headaches or complications. I just need to get from A to B as I did in Amsterdam without all the bells and whistles or extra charges. So please, which model corresponds to my needs, that has Europe + UK.? Thanks.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,283
    Superusers
    edited March 7
    Hi
    @JonathanG
    Maybe useful if you purchase the GO Start device....
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi....
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB....

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on Your WI-FI name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi

zzb10t6jrg2v.jpg
    Updating the device....
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items

Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained....
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wi-Fi) devices connected over Wi-Fi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if MyDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps

Connecting hard-wired over USB is normally more reliable than any Over The Air Connections
    Updating your new device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here..... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

There's no need to login to MyDrive Connect... See Note... (1)
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    The Update will hopefully complete

If you're using a Laptop it would be also more advisable to use a hard-wire connection back from the Laptop to the Router....

Note... A new version of MyDrive Connect has been released.....
    See.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1130566/a-new-version-of-mydrive-connect-released

When using the latest MyDrive Connect the menu flow has changed....
    Now when using the latest version of MyDrive connect to update a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB, it APPEARS that you can update the device using the MyDrive Connect menu structure... When in fact this is NOT the case....

Clicking on the update button only opens the new MyDrive Connect "Splash screen" saying "UPDATE DEVICE THE EASY WAY" etc...

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices have no access to the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices.....

If you choose to update a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB....
    MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC Taskbar... You can close the 'Main Mydrive Window'

em7rmo28tl38.jpg
    That is displaying "UPDATE DEVICE THE EASY WAY" Splash screen...

a1a9r6jyfdho.jpg
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device like your Tomtom ######... Even if you are updating using USB... The updating method is the same as using Wi-Fi....
    All the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items....
    If a Operating System Software update (Navcore) is required... Deselect the remaining updates, install the Navcore update 1st....

The Navcore Software Update is Mandatory you cannot deselect the update....
    lvf6a0pjrt8t.jpg
    Then install the remaining updates....
    I always install the update one at a time....
    There's less chance of a log jam on the Server....
    iofr8x26j4oi.jpg
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    hard-wire connection back from the Laptop to the Router ?? just to update device?? As for the rest, thanks, but today I'm drowning in technical info of no real interest to me - now I realize why I bought the wrong navigator as I'd need a navigator just to understand Tomtom's 1000001 options and impossible lingo - not everyone wants to be a computer nerd - some folks just need to get from A to B
    Superuser
    Hi @JonathanG

The Start 52 is not a Wifi unit so requires a PC for updating and has no Traffic and you have to pay for Cameras. after 3 months.

The nearest unit to your requirements is the Tomtom GO5200 which is a Wifi device and so there is no need to use a PC for any updating. Believe me it is much easier but if you ever need to do the updating via a PC it can be done.. You get Lifetime World Maps, Traffic and Cameras and the only time you will need to link it to your Smartphone is if the 2G mobile system is turned Off or if you want to use the units Handsfree option..

Doug
    Thanks. I'll get 5200 and trash thereafter the 52 as currently I have difficultly physically in returning items to Amazon. I have never heard of 2G network before, sounds like a dinosaur. Do all tomtoms use such antiquated technology? I have no idea why I would pay for "cameras" or even what this means. When I get the 5200, and if I have any questions, I'll get back in touch. But one last question, Amazon UK is today selling 5200 for £189 reduced from $299 - never a good sign sometimes when stuff is on super sale discount - sounds fishy. Any idea of why? Discontinued model?? Currently I wouldn't trust Amazon UK with a ten foot pole!
    Superuser
    edited March 13
    Hi @JonathanG

The GO 5200 is not the latest unit but is not that old. I have one and it was superceeded by the Premium Models which ar e the same except they also have the IFTTT facility. As I don't need the unit to open my garage door when I arrive home or turn the heating on I have no need for that facility.

The unit will be reduced in price as it is an older model and Tomtom have brought out the Discovery range. The Discovery range is similar to the GO520. in that you have to link your phone, has weekly map updates, World Maps, but you will eventually have to pay for Traffic and cameras. So the latest model to offer what you want is the GO5200.

The 2g Mobile system is old and has been followed by 3g, 4g and now 5g. It will be closed down eventually, it has already in Switzerland, but looks like it will be still here in the UK for the next 3 years or so. Tomtom unit with inbuilt mobile sims are all based on 2g sims. I suspect that the future will be linking with your Mobile phone as that overcomes the changes in the mobile systems and avoids the need to install a sim in the unit and pay the Mobile provider for the lifetime service of the sim.

Doug
    May I'll just junk everything and just buy a regular fold-out map, or better yet, walk! Kindly note that since I had tomtom before, I thought buying another today would be simple as abc. Bought my old one from my car dealer and had "zero" headaches. Ya know, the purpose of technology is to make life simpler for we human beings, not the contrary. If I need Mission to Mars technology just to get to supermarket and back, it's not really helping. Anyhow, that's my two cents. Joking aside, thanks for all your help.
    Maybe I'll just..
    Superuser
    Hi @JonathanG

Reading a map whilst driving is not my idea of a good arrangement. 😂😂 And if I give it to SHMBO to use I will probably have arrived before she has found the right page let alone whether it is up the right way. 😂😂😂

With a GO5200 I can set the route up for her and off she goes. If I wanted to I could go onto my PC or Smartphone and send a destination to her and she would not realised she is going to Coventry and not where she originally wanted to go to.. 😂😂😂😂

Who says there is no benefit in technology.

The GO5200 is a good unit and easy to use. It will do things that you old unit probably could not do but it also will not do some things that it could. You do not need to backk the unit up to your PC now it does it for you saving your favourites and most saved routes on it to your account on the TT servers. If you ever need to reset the device it will reuse your Favourites and Routes using either Wifi or the inbuilt Sim if you are away form home.

Doug
    SHMBO ? Do people really say that these days?? There was a time, when one would pull over to the side of the road to check the map, and nobody died from it, it won't kill you, as Dylan sung. As for technology, of course, one's viewpoint depends on your date of birth - in my opinion, the situation today is clearly overkill - I don't need a rocket ship to drive to supermarket or from Paris to Amsterdam - maybe you do, but not me! The device is there is solve 1 problem and not create 36 others. Getting from A to B shouldn't be any more complicated than that and me, I've been using computers ever since SE/30, but not for crossing the street. Technology is there to help, not enslave.
    Superuser
    Hi @JonathanG

Re birth date I am likely to give you a run for your money . Try 1942.

Doug
    decidedly, you get the Blue Ribbon for aged ham, my friend
    Superuser
    edited March 7
    Gotcha 😂😂😂😂😂

I can recall sitting in the back of my Fathers Morris 10 and thumping the door pillar when the Traffic Indicator Arms got stuck. and did not come out. All the way from Kent to Scotland. 😂😂
    Hi Doug - I finally found the courage to turn on Start 52, and then connected it to my Windows 10 PC for its first update. On the device itself, it almost immediately flashed UPDATE COMPLETED (or something to that effect, which seemed really far "too fast"). Meanwhile on my computer screen with MyDriveConnect open, I have been stuck for quite a while on YOUR DEVICE IS BEING ADDED - Googling this first (rather than starting over), one suggestion is to Install XP software instead. Kindly advise. Thanks, Jonathan
    Superuser
    Hi @JonathanG

What happens when you turn your Start 52 on after it says it has updated ?

Doug
    PS - I finally turned 52 off and on, and things are back to normal. Please disregard previous question. Thanks!
    Superuser
    Hi @JonathanG

Glad you are sorted.

Doug
    Thanks for getting back to me anyhow so quickly. No doubt, I will have other questions, however I did have my other Tomtom for 5 years, so I'm not exactly a beginner
    Hi Doug - long time no see - my car finally arrived in UK after 4 long months at sea and cleared customs like greased lightning (although getting insurance on a "temp import" was hell on earth, I kid you not and cost me 400% of normal prices). Anyhow, I picked up car a week ago in Felixstowe, got new tyres and new hardtop for it (MX5), then drove back home to Oxford. Obviously, without the Tomtom I'd be dead meat, all the more so for local travel in the Cotswolds. As for the "why" of this message, when I bought Tomtom from Amazon, I got the dashboard mount disks too as they were pretty cheap, but being lazy and in a rush, I just stuck the device up on my windscreen as usual. Coming across the Dashboard Mounts just now in my living room, I checked out first the install procedure, and immediately the "remove" procedure, and my conclusion is that I should NEVER use such mounts on my nice dashboard, unless I'm prepared for the ugly consequences. Kindly confirm, thanks - Jonathan
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,283
    Superusers
    Hi
    @JonathanG
    when I traded my previous car, to remove the dashboard Mount Disc
    I used 3 strands of dental floss with a sawing action to cut through the foam of the dashboard adhesive pad and then Sticky-Stuff remover to remove the remains of the adhesive pad...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    yeah, more or less what I thought - thanks! I'm long used to sticking the damn thing up on the windscreen and though mounts were intelligently designed and could be used in same manner, off and on, but alas, no such luck - all I need now is to rip up my dash and have that staring me in the face forever! Who would ever use such a product on a nice car?!? But thatnks for confirming and good think I checked out first before leaping! Jonathan
    HELP - connected my TomTom earlier to my PC to enter new address and am faced with BLANK WINDOW for MyDrive Connect. My device is logged in OK and I reinstalled MyDrive Connect, but screen is still blank. HELP! Thanks, Jonathan