Smart 52 — TomTom Community

Smart 52

Just received Smart 52 from Amazon UK, and chose UK/ROI option as it was unclear if WESTERN EUROPE or EUROPE NAV includes UK or not. In a few months, I'll need EUROPE too, can I download Europe maps or is it impossible on this device. Tried to contact TomTom support, but that proved impossible too. Sadly.
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,154
    Superuser
    Hi @JonathanG

You can buy maps to add to the TT unit but you will need to add a Micro SD Class 10, II would recommend a 16Gb or maximum 32Gb from a major make such as Sandisk, Samsung etc and not one of the lesser known cards as some have had issues in TT units.

Herre is a video on where the extra memory cards are on TT units..https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1037555/where-to-find-the-memory-card-slot-on-your-device

Doug.
  • JonathanGJonathanG Posts: 37 [Master Explorer]
    thank you - such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=sandisk+Micro+SD+Class+10&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 ?
    I saw nothing on TT website on this and when I checked downloading of Europe (what the hell is a subscription??), it asked for first 2 of serial number, which is XR, and then it said, NOT COMPATIBLE - so will your trick work or not?
    Currently, I am "trying to exchange" unit for Euroope model (whatis difference between WESTERN EUROPE and EUROPE NAV ??), but Amazon Uk does not make this "exchange" easy (I must first return, get credited, then buy again, apparently and stupidly)
    Lastly, why the heck can't I get TT support on chat? All I get is gibberish! And doesn't TT have a phone in UK or Nederland which actually works?????????
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,316
    Superusers
    edited March 6
    Hi
    @JonathanG
    Welcome to the site....
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended

For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed

(1)... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

(2)... Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks, as for phone, I really appreciate it, although it would have been just as simple to post PHONES DOWN DURING COVID on website! I still can't contact CHAT, as all it produces is gibberish. Have you tried? Also, I need to clarify, I am "trying to exchange" my START 52 for Europe model, but what is difference between WESTERN EUROPE and EUROPE NAV ? Thanks
    Superuser
    Hi @JonathanG

The link below shows you the Start 52 and if you click on All Specs you will see all the countries that are covered on the Europe Map which are more than on the Western Europe map and includes the countries you want. on the one map.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/products/start-52/

It is interesting that Amazon are offering the Europe map for less than the Western Europe map. A no brainer .

There is one thing. The Start 42/52/62 have an issue with UK Postcodes. These models only have what is known as the Step by Step Search option and that ressults in problems with Postcodes as it requires you to know and enter the road name. This is a particular. problem in rural areas and I would suggest you consider any other TT unit as all the other models also have a Quick Search option and this resolves this problem.

Also there would appear to be a problem on the TT website re maps as the TT Start 52 has more than enough space, by the addition of an extra memory card, to take the Europe map but as you say it is currently saying In compatible.

Regarding Chat I had the need to contact via Chat last Monday and I got through in 5 minutes and there have been a few on here mentioning they have been in contact in the last few days.

Doug

Re Chat: I tried 6 times, 2nd link appears, I click, window closes, game over. The fact that you "managed" to get through, does me a fat lot of good.

I currently had delivered today from Amazon the 52 UK-ROI - and since I am going to France in a few months, +$49.99 for map + $10 for card, hence a total rip off as "Europe" option was same price as UK option. Plus, Amazon UK refuses to "exchange" it.

So just what do you suggest? I haven't opened it yet.
    PS - I really hate it when big companies such as you AMAZON and TOMTOM refuse to accept responsibility for their own screw-ups, operating solely on the principle of SCREW THE CUSTOMER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE - really, I hate that shit!
    Superuser
    edited March 6
    Hi @JonathanG

I am surprised at Amazon refusal particularly if you can say that it is failing to find some UK postcodes.

Just tried getting Customer Support, I know they are closed now, and got the Get in Touch bottom right. . I am using Firefox.

Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 22.12.43xer9rstkpm9u.png

If I Tap Get in Touch I get.

Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 22.18.43kwm25toktz6a.png

Doug
    Never underestimate Amazon's ability to be an asshole.

As for connecting to support, which browser do you use? Me, Firefox generally.

Lastly, options for 52 on Amazon UK are: UK-ROI, EUROPE, WESTERN EUROPE and EUROPE NAV - all for more or less same price.

I need UK + FRANCE - what is my best option?

I did ask Amazon chat at time of purchase, but they are idiots, hence i chose UK.

Lastly, although they are "seller" you are manufacturer and thus supplier of all info to Amazon uk for your products, and thus I HOLD YOU PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ME GETTING WRONG PRODUCT BASED ON YOUR CONFUSING INFO
    PSS - chat seems to work better on Edge, but how browsers and hoops must one jump through just to ask a bloody question? As for your delayed reaction GET IN TOUCH, who's the Einstein who dreamed that up? No phones, chat impossible to understand or use, wrong or no info on Amazon UK and in the end, wrong product delivered. How do you I rate you? Don't ask! I mean for just buying a damned navigator, you guys sure make it tough!
    Superuser
    Hi @JonathanG

Firstly this is a forum for users where they try to help one another to hopefully resolve issues quickly and is not a direct link to Tomtom Customer Support. . I am a user just like you trying to assist if I can.

If you go onto the Tomtom Website and select the car products page at the bottom there is a link that takes you to the Maps and Services page, it is also at the bottom of this page. I assume you have already seen this as you quote a price for the maps and if you want the price in £ then change the country at the bottom to U.K.

On the maps page are all the maps including Western, Southern andEastern Europe etc and if you select them then you can see the list of countries each covers. The Graphic shows in green the area covered and so you can see that the Western Europe meets your need for France and the U.K. With the Western Europe map you can ask for a route between places which it will do based on going via the quickest Port/Tunnel although you can force it to provide a route via a specific Port or the a tunnel. You could if you wished just buy the France Map if that is all you will need. This however does not work out routes between somewhere in the U.K. and a place in France. You will have to ask it to give you a route to the appropriate Port etc then when you get there change to the France map and ask for the route from the French Port to your required destination. Therefore the best and simplest map for you is Western Europe or the Europe map which covers a greater area both of which would work on your unit hence my comment suggesting there is an issue re compatibility on the TT maps page. The only issue would be whether you would need an extra memory card to be able to add the map.

I used Firefox to get through to the Get in touch option whereas today Safari on my MacBook does not work and I have no idea why as it has worked before. I assume the delay of the Get in touch display is someone’s idea that the first option is the Bot and if that has not helped you then you make contact. They could have left it that you had to use the Bot before you had a link for Contact as others like Amazon tend to do.

I would seek the units return on the basis it cannot find places based on Postcode alone therefore not suitable. All other TT units can find Postcodes without needing any other address information. Be aware that many of the other TT units, as with other makes, require the use of a Smart phone.

Regarding the Map options offered by Amazon U.K. all of them offer U.K. and France except the U.K. only option.

I hope that information is useful to you.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited March 7
    Hi
    Doug's post + 100%....
    @JonathanG
    As Doug says this is a User Site.... You are not talking to Tomtom Support and you are certainly NOT talking to Amazon....
    JonathanG wrote: »
    (Snip) Lastly, although they are "seller" you are manufacturer and thus supplier of all info to Amazon UK for your products, and thus I HOLD YOU PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ME GETTING WRONG PRODUCT BASED ON YOUR CONFUSING INFO
    How can it be possibly be confusing ??? If you purchase a SatNav with ONLY the UK&ROI Maps how on earth can you expect the device to navigate a route through France ???

I have the previous model to your Start 52... The START 60 with ONE Lifetime Map i.e... the UK&ROI Map... If I need any further Maps, I would need to purchase the extra Map/s from Tomtom....

If you purchased the device from Amazon your Contract is with the Retailer... Amazon

ATB YFM
    Is my current unit SMART 52 UK/ROI unusable in UK?
    Superusers
    edited March 7
    Hi
    @JonathanG
    What are the 1st 2 characters of the devices serial number ???
    The two letters define the Tomtom Model....
    As far as I'm aware there isn't a Tomtom stand-alone device called a SMART 52 ???

The Tomtom only devices named 'Smart'... Are the Tomtom built-in units for the Smart Car ???

Stay safe... ATB YFM
    START 52 I meant, and two letters are XR
    If I replace unit for use in both UK and EUROPE, should I get EUROPE, EUROPE NAV or WESTERN EUROPE - all of which are START 52 OPTIONS, or must I avoid altogether the the 52 series as defective?
    Superuser
    Hi @JonathanG

The unit you have will work in the UK the problem is that when searching for somewhere and you don't know more address information than just the Postcodes . The reason is when you enter the Postcode in search it then asks for the Road Name. If you don't know the road name it will not continue the search and suggest where you want.. When you think about it you may frequently know the Postcode but not the road name. On the non Start units if you set the Search mode to Quick Search then this is not an issue. When you enter the Postcode it will give you a search result without any more information. Now then Postcode may not be exactly near the building you are seeking, particularly in rural areas, but the unit will direct you to the area covered by that Postcode.

See this Post

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1240032/#Comment_1240032

Doug
    this affects all 52 units, no matter what the map options are? (UK, Europe, etc.)
    Superuser
    Hi @JonathanG

Good point should have mentioned that . Yes it will not matter which Maps Europe or UK you have when entering Postcodes you will have the same problem.

I think you will find that the Camera data that comes with it will only be updated for 3 months and after that you will have to pay a subscription to continue receiving the data otherwise they will no longer be displayed and warned. Also I think the Start units do not offer Traffic information so will not offer faster routes if they occur as you go along or take into account Traffic conditions when deciding the route to recommend.

You may wish to consider whether you want lifetime Camera and Traffic data so that you are always being helped with the current best route. The Traffic data on the Tomtom units tends to be very good, particularly compared to others, so for example when I was travelling home one time nearly 2 hours before I was due to arrive at my destination it was advising me there were a delay of 30 minutes. As it got near to the problem it decided that the delay was still there and offered a revised route around the issue saving 22 minutes. If you want these services then other units need to be considered.

Doug
    I previously had TOM TOM for 5 years when I was living in Netherlands, and used it as well to travel throughout Europe. I certainly never had a "subscription" for it, and regularly connected it to my computer for TOM TOM updates. That was about 8 years ago. Is there not a TOM TOM model which is LIFETIME for UK and Europe which does not require additional subscription? Or have things radically changed since? Thanks
    Perhaps? TomTom GO Basic 5" Sat Nav with Lifetime Full Europe Maps (or is anything marked "basic" flawed for Uk?
    Superusers
    edited March 7
    Hi
    @JonathanG
    The Info for "XR"

pp61ty9pj9ka.jpg
    JonathanG wrote: »
    Perhaps? TomTom GO Basic 5" Sat Nav with Lifetime Full Europe Maps (or is anything marked "basic" flawed for UK) ?
    The GO Range has the excellent Quick Search option... UK Post Codes OK...

Stay safe... ATB YFM
    Superuser
    edited March 7
    Hi @JonathanG

The GO Basic has Lifetime Map updates, quarterly, and lifetime Traffic but to receive this you need to link your Android or Apple phone via Bluetooth. The amount of data that your phone will need to supply equates to 7mb per month based on 1 hours use during a busy traffic period every day..

The previous model is the GO520 which is similar except the internal memory is only 8gb instead of 16gb as on the Basic so you will need an micro SD Class 10 extra memory card for the Europe map as it it now larger than can be fitted on the internal memory. You also have to pay for Cameras after 3 months. The unit needs a smartphone for the traffic like the Basic.

The next option is the GO5200. This is the same as the GO520 except that Maps, Traffic and Cameras do not require any subscriptions and the unit has an inbuilt Mobile Sim and so does not require a Smartphone to get the Traffic Data. There is no on cost for running the inbuilt sim. The sim is a 2G sim so as and when they turn the 2g system off then you will need to link it to a smartphone to get the data. Also with the inbuilt sim you can send destinations and routes to the unit from your Smartphone or PC.

One other point is that if you have good Wifi at home you don't need a PC for updating the above units as they connect directly to your Wifi and you manage the updating using the menu options on the unit.. If that is not an option then you need a PC.

Hope that helps.

Doug
    It would seem, based on your presentation, of various models, for which I thank you, that every Tom Tom model has a drawback. When I had my old TomTom in Amsterdam, I occasionally connected to my PC and that was that, and no extra fees for anything. I did notice BLUETOOTH and WI-FI on various models, somehow related to my phone and I would prefer by far the old system, via USB, website and no subscription. Is that possible on any model? Thanks
    PS FOR TomTom Car Sat Nav GO 5200, on Amazon Uk, it says CONNECTIVITY USB + BLUETOOTH and sale price of £189. But based on lousy description it is unclear if updates can be downloaded via Pc+USB