Set speed limit warning on Go Essential — TomTom Community

Set speed limit warning on Go Essential

Hi
I have a Go Essential with a speed camera alert subscription and wanted to know if I can make the device warn me when I’m going over the speed limit.
I think currently it is just beeping when I go over by 5 miles an hour or if there is a camera in the vicinity.
I really need it to alert me when it’s going over my 1 mile an hour or for at least 4 miles an hour which is the safety margin in the UK.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,224
    Superusers
    edited February 20
    Hi
    @TokyoElbow
    Welcome to the site....
    Sorry the Speed cam advanced warning sounds are fixed....
    But for general improvement using the Tomtom Speed Cam Database over the default settings

Always use a Computer voice...
    Serena or Malcolm here in the UK
    Also....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed... (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    Along with the standard triple 'dong dong dong' warning the device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red-light Camera'
    'Accident Black-spots
    ‘Spoken Traffic delays’

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TokyoElbowTokyoElbow Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks for the response,
    I maybe not getting my question across clearly .

The speed limit is 30 miles an hour but my device is not always warning me when I’m going over the speed limit, Is there any way for the device to warn me when I’m going over the speed limit by any amount ALWAYS?

Thanks
    Thank you very much for the detailed settings.
    Will I now be warned when I am going over the speed limit by any amount, like for example 31mph in a 30mph limit?
    Also will I only be warned if there are cameras present or are the warnings triggered by my speed?

I’m on my last chance for speeding so this is very important to me that’s why I’m being so specific :(

Thanks very much for your help
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,224
    Superusers
    edited February 21
    Hi
    @TokyoElbow
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Sound & Warnings... Scroll down.... Is 'When Speeding' set to ON ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,704
    Superuser
    Hi @TokyoElbow

Just to add to @YamFazMan 's post you will also see your current display shown at the bottom will change colour when you are speeding after you get the 'Ding' sound warning.

Doug
    The problem I'm having is that the alert doesn't happen all the time when I'm passed the speed limit.
    Is this possibly because there is no speed cameras detected in the vicinity?
    Eventually it will ping but at this point its way past speeding points territory.

I would like to happen as soon as I've gone over the speed limit not when it's 5 + mph over the speed limit.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 706 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi, @TokyoElbow ,

I can't comment on when the "Ding" occurs as I personally prefer to operate my TomTom on Silent!

However, I can confirm that, visually, there is a 2-stage Warning!

When you are below the Speed Limit the background Colour, behind the Speed, is a Translucent Green - as soon as you exceed the Limit, it changes to a Translucent Amber & when you exceed the limit by about 10% it goes to Translucent Red. Although, none of these colours are particularly bold!

However, since I'm also in the UK, may I make the following Random Points:-
    • Generally the TomTom Displayed Speed is much more accurate that the Car Speedo (Legally the Car Speedo must NOT under display the Speed, hence they tend to over-display it - you could be doing 28. but the Speedo will display 30)
    • Being Pedantic, for a 30mph Limit, you are Breaking the Law once you exceed 30 - there are NO Legally Defined "Tolerances"! It has been known for some Police Forces to be very severe on Enforcement.
    • Usually, most (but NOT all) UK Police Forces operate on a "Plus 10% Plus 2" basis - in other words, for a 30 Limit, it is 30 + 3 + 2 = 35!
    • Finally, I would NOT trust TomTom to accurately show the current Speed Limit - in my travels, I'm often noticing incorrect Speed Limits - hence, DON'T rely on TomTom to warn you when you are breaking the Limit!

Good luck & I hope you don't get caught again!!

Thanks for all the great info John-Jay!!

To cut a long story short I have ADHD and I have accumulated nine points at the same place so that prompted me to invest in a tom-tom and the speed camera warnings so I need this thing to be yelling at me when I’m going over the speed limit.
    As you said anything over the speed limit is breaking the law
    And the tom-tom doesn’t warn me verbally if I’m going over speed limit unless it’s quite a bit over , All it’s doing is warning me in advance that there is a camera coming up which is better than nothing I suppose

• John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 706 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi, @TokyoElbow

Fully understand/sympathise!

However, I must emphasise that TomTom seems to be extremely lax when it comes to updating Speed Limits - as I said, I routinely go through areas where they show the wrong Speed Limit.

Bizarrely, they will even show a Limit as being 40, whilst they show the associated Speed Camera as set to 30 - when the actual Limit is 30 - meaning that you will NOT get a Speed Alert but you will be told about the Camera! (NB:- I've also noted locations where the reverse is true)!

Add to that, TomTom has many, many Speed Cameras missing & it does NOT attempt to identify sites where Mobile Cameras might be located!
    John-Jay wrote: »
    Hi, @TokyoElbow

Fully understand/sympathise!

However, I must emphasise that TomTom seems to be extremely lax when it comes to updating Speed Limits - as I said, I routinely go through areas where they show the wrong Speed Limit.

Bizarrely, they will even show a Limit as being 40, whilst they show the associated Speed Camera as set to 30 - when the actual Limit is 30 - meaning that you will NOT get a Speed Alert but you will be told about the Camera! (NB:- I've also noted locations where the reverse is true)!

Add to that, TomTom has many, many Speed Cameras missing & it does NOT attempt to identify sites where Mobile Cameras might be located!

I too have noticed a few roads on my way to work that are saying 40 when the road markings are saying 30.....

Not great but the device has def slowed me down somewhat.