Does it have auto-update — TomTom Community

Does it have auto-update

LePoireLePoire Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
Today I received my Go Discover 7 inch. Nice big screen. I went through all the menus. It was shown that Europe was installed. And that it was up-to-date. On another menu 'updates' were shown for all European countries. Each of them had an update waiting. I touched a little icon next to a country. And it started updating. And 'writing' to individual map. Germany I could update twice? Netherlands only once.
I am lost.
1) What is the general idea. You check once a week to do updates? I assumed my TomTom would take care of itself. An auto-update when a known wifi was in reach. I do not want to be bothered.
2) Why does the system say that Europe is up-to-date and does it show updates per country.
3) Are these updates not cumulative? I had to do Germany twice.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,702
    Superuser
    edited February 25 Accepted Answer
    Hi @LePoire

Your.Discovery comes with the Europe Map loaded as you are in the Netherlands. and the ability to download World maps that you need. The unit does not update itself when connected to the Internet but will update those maps that you have whenever you select for them to be updated.

Whilst the Europe map has many countries on it you could if you wished delete those European countries that you are never going to use by going into Settings/Map Display and selecting Europe then Tapping Delete and selecting those you don't need. This has the benefit that you will only be offered the weekly Map updates, currently usually on a Monday, for those European countries you are interested in however should you subsequently need one of the deleted countries you can reload them when ever you want.

If you go into Settings/ Map & Display and Tap Menu Layout and select Grid Layout you will see virtually all the Menu Icons when you tap Menu. By doing this when you Tap Menu and can see the Update and New Items and the Map & Display icons you will quickly see if there are any updates etc available as they will have a Red Marker against them

Doug

Answers

Superuser
    edited February 25 Accepted Answer
    Hi @LePoire

Your.Discovery comes with the Europe Map loaded as you are in the Netherlands. and the ability to download World maps that you need. The unit does not update itself when connected to the Internet but will update those maps that you have whenever you select for them to be updated.

Whilst the Europe map has many countries on it you could if you wished delete those European countries that you are never going to use by going into Settings/Map Display and selecting Europe then Tapping Delete and selecting those you don't need. This has the benefit that you will only be offered the weekly Map updates, currently usually on a Monday, for those European countries you are interested in however should you subsequently need one of the deleted countries you can reload them when ever you want.

If you go into Settings/ Map & Display and Tap Menu Layout and select Grid Layout you will see virtually all the Menu Icons when you tap Menu. By doing this when you Tap Menu and can see the Update and New Items and the Map & Display icons you will quickly see if there are any updates etc available as they will have a Red Marker against them

Doug
  • LePoireLePoire Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @DougLap
    Thnx for reply. Surprised that TomTom does not offer auto-update.
    But i am happy with your reply. As you suggested, i deleted most of the countries. Kept about 8 of them. Will update some of them once or twice a month.
    Superuser
    Hi @LePoire

The weekly updates are usually very small bits of data for each map you have on the device. With the facility to be able to link the unit to your Wifi's 5Ghz signal the download speeds can be very quick and it is unlikely to take long to update the 8 maps. Occasionally there may be an update which completely replaces each map which will be obvious when you see the size of the update. When this occurs I will do each Map individually ,not all at the same time, and to tidy things up I will do a Soft Reset after the updates have been done.

Doug.