Do I have to pay for speed camera alerts? — TomTom Community

Do I have to pay for speed camera alerts?

uklee1uklee1 Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi my TT Go Discover arrived and Im being asked to pay for speed camera alerts, I thought that I received this service free for 1 year?1oq10j2g5nch.png
ivaei4casqgz.png

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,745
    Superuser
    edited February 13
    Hi @uklee1

Hopefully @VikramK or @lampard will pick this up and check and sort out the settings for your unit on the TT servers..

Look back here on Monday when they are back on the forum to see what they say.

Doug.
  • MonsieurPoirotMonsieurPoirot Posts: 60 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    I have just noticed I have the same on my GO Premium X.
    £0.33 for 'Speed camera updates - Monthly subscription'

GO Premium X has all that included for the lifetime of the
    device, right?
    Superuser
    edited February 14
    Hi @MonsieurPoirot

Hopefully @VikramK or @lampard will check your Premium units Lifetime Cameras etc settings on the Tomtom servers tomorrow and change them if necessary. Look back then to see what they have to say.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,624 Moderator
    Hi @uklee1
    Welcome to the community! Please ignore the renewal message on our website. It's already been reported to the team.

Just wanted to confirm your GO Discover comes with 1 year of speed cameras updates as a bundled package with the device.

The updates for speed cameras are offered twice every week-- Tuesday and Thursday. When you check for updates these should be offered as downloads.

Thanks, Vikram
  • LePoireLePoire Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It may be answered. But it is not working. Today I unpacked my Go discover. And yes 'MyDrive' offers the speed camera service for a friendly 2.99 euro per month. Instant activation after paying. It even screws up the .33 euro discount for first 3 months.
    Superuser
    Hi @LePoire

You should not have purchased any services on a new Discovery yet so I suggest that you contact Customer Support for a refund and to get them to sort out the settings for your unit so that the Traffic etc works as it should.

Tap Support at the top of this page
    Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and after a few seconds Get in Touch also appears
    Tap Get in Touch
    You are now offered Chat or Email. If Chat is closed it will tell you the hours that it will be available.

Chat is busy you may have to try a few times.

Doug
    I too have a 'pay to activate' button for speedcameras on my account for my
    GO Discover 7 and I am currently not getting speedcamera
    updates.
    I am unable to login to support as that says
    'This page is not available'.
    So all going well so far.
    Who can sort out my speedcameras for me?
    Superuser
    Hi @MonsieurPoirot

Hopefully @VikramK or @lampard will pick this up and check the settings for your unit on the TT servers. Look back here later.

To contact Customer Support try this

Tap Support at the top of this page
    Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and after a few seconds Get in Touch also appears
    Tap Get in Touch
    You are now offered Chat or Email. If Chat is closed it will tell you the hours that it will be available.

Chat is busy you may have to try a few times.

It might be worth trying a different Web Browser as I had an issue the other day with Safari but Firefox worked straight away doing the above as I was connected to Chat within 5 minutes.

Doug
    Thanks Doug. Support does not work on Chrome.
    Have used another browser to send email to support.
    Superuser
    edited March 1
    Hi @MonsieurPoirot

Keep an Eye out here for what @VikramK has to say after he has reviewed the settings for your Unit on Monday. Also you should ask for refund by Chat if you don’t get a response within a few days to your email.

Doug
  • Waszko1980Waszko1980 Posts: 27 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I have the same as the users above.
    TomTom replied:

Thank you for contacting me. In reference to our conversation, I would like to inform you that the internal department has made a speed camera update available for your navigation. In order to download updates, log in to the WiFi network on the navigation, and then go to Menu- Settings- Updates and new items.

Unfortunately, nothing to download :(
    edited March 2
    TomTom told me to do a 'Factory Reset' on my device. Then if I still did not get speed camera updates to get back in touch.
    I have just done a factory reset, and still no speed camera updates.
    However.....
    I have just checked the 'Help' section on my GO Discover.
    In the 'About' section it says:
    'Speed Camera Updates Activated'
    When you click on this it says:
    'Your device automatically receives location updates for fixed and mobile cameras in real time.'

So, does this mean the GO Discover works differently when it comes to speed cameras?
    On my GO Premium X there was an update to download periodically, I guess this is not the case on the GO Discover.

Can someone confirm I do not need to look for 'Speed Camera Updates' to download?
    @LePoire @MonsieurPoirot @Waszko1980

All of you have active service for Speed camera updates(1 year) on the GO Discover.
    I have sent the serial number to my team to review and check this is related to an outage.

I will post back once I have an update to share.

Regards, Vikram
  • Waszko1980Waszko1980 Posts: 27 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I think I have a solution!
    For me, the update on the navigation screen was visible. I turned on My Drive on my computer, logged in and then connected Go Discover to the computer with a usb cable.

Info from TomTom:
    If the update has not started after connecting the device to the Wi-Fi network, please reset the device by pressing the power button for about 15-20 seconds (until you hear a "drum" beep). Then please connect the navigation to the computer where MyDrive Connect is installed. In order to download updates, log in to the WiFi network on the navigation, and then go to Menu- Settings- Updates and new items.
    Superuser
    edited March 2
    Hi @Waszko1980

When the update is advised by the GO Discovery if the Wifi it is connected to is fast enough it will download the updates without the need to connect it to a PC. One advantage is that the Discovery models will connect to 5Ghz Wifi as well as 2.4Ghz so much higher download speeds to the unit are possible.

Doug
    edited March 3
    Hello All,
    Got some information from our team to share!
    The speed cameras are a part of the monthly map update(NDS) and they won't be offered as an update separately.
    Further, they are also downloaded over the air when driving on a planned route with the GO Discover connected to a smartphone(TomTom Services).

We also plan to publish a FAQ article on our support pages so that we have this information available to all our users.

Thank you, Vikram :)

Edited!
  • LePoireLePoire Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just checking back. Red all the above. Not clear. However I noticed the following. The Go Discover device itself tell you that speed/camera is activated. Your TomTom account offers you to purchase a monthly subscription for same service.
    To me this looks like a classic datamodel error/issue. The question to ask is the following: Who owns the subscription? Is it the device or is it the owner (account holder). It seems that the device is the owner. So the real question will be: What will happen 12 months from now. The device can not pay/renew itself.
    I guess, the TomTom data mngt team has some job to work on.
    edited March 4
    Sorry, everyone,
    Another update to share.
    Speed Cameras updates would be a part of the monthly map update procedure(NDS maps)
    I have edited my post above.

LePoire wrote: »
    Just checking back. Red all the above. Not clear. However I noticed the following. The Go Discover device itself tell you that speed/camera is activated. Your TomTom account offers you to purchase a monthly subscription for same service.
    To me this looks like a classic datamodel error/issue. The question to ask is the following: Who owns the subscription? Is it the device or is it the owner (account holder). It seems that the device is the owner. So the real question will be: What will happen 12 months from now. The device can not pay/renew itself.
    I guess, the TomTom data mngt team has some job to work on.

Please also see my first reply above.
    VikramK wrote: »
    Please ignore the renewal message on our website. It's already been reported to the team.

It is a website bug on the account page that tells you to renew the subscription.My suggestion would be to check the status on the device.

The subscription is activated for the device so ideally, the device owns the subscription and the account holder has to pay for a yearly renewal.
    After renewal, the service will once again be active for the device.

Hope that clears any confusion.

Thank you, Vikram