GO Discover Users - is it any better than the GO 620/6200/Premiums? — TomTom Community

GO Discover Users - is it any better than the GO 620/6200/Premiums?

simplysup2simplysup2 Posts: 25 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
I'm considering purchase.

If there was a version with a SIM in, or even one where I could load my own SIM, I'd have purchased it already. Now I have to decide if the promised improvements in the UI are worth upgrading - or perhaps, sideways-grading is a better term, as the lack of a SIM hurts - from my current GO6200.

So, Discover users - is it better/quicker/faster/can leap over high mountains/fly through the air better than the previous TomTom unit(s) you have used?

Nigel

Answers

• leebroath1976leebroath1976 Posts: 57 [Legendary Explorer]
    edited March 19
    I honestly do not know why Tomtom in the wisdom released a device which isn't and all-in-one device, why on earth do we need to connect to our phones when the sim could have been built in.

If this had an in built sim I would have been all over it like a rash, but I am simply do not want to be using my battery power from my phone.

Oh well.... no point in updating to the new better HD screen, will stick with my 6200.

Tomtom what are you playing at, ...please sack the developers, because you did this with a previous older Tomtom and got flack for it, and yet it's happened again!
  • Waszko1980Waszko1980 Posts: 36 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I had similar concerns about connecting the phone to the navigation. Unfounded. The amount of battery consumption by the phone after connecting the navigation to it is very small. Likewise with the use of data. In my opinion, navigation with a built-in sim card will not be created. If you already have the option to insert your own sim card.
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 15,034
    Superusers
  • bigbig Posts: 1,643
    Superuser
    edited March 22
    simplysup2 wrote: »
    So, Discover users - is it better/quicker/faster/can leap over high mountains/fly through the air better than the previous TomTom unit(s) you have used
    It depends what you value. For example,
    Pros: the map system is pretty different -- the maps are updated weekly. (Small sections of the maps can be updated as needed.) A few more things can be shown on the map, such as border crossings. Prices for fuel are shown, if that's important to you.

Cons: If you really want a built-in SIM you will be disappointed. And POI management is not significantly improved. Also significant in my opinion: the current time is not displayed. Only arrival time is shown. And speed limits are often grossly inaccurate.
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,509
    Superusers
    6200, all is free. Discover, you must pay for something after a try period.
  • MrTDMrTD Posts: 69 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Looked at this device and looks like Tom Tom have taken a step backwards, no built in sim and trial periods for extras.
    I guess they feel they can get away with it but I am another who will not touch this because of these cons.
  • leebroath1976leebroath1976 Posts: 57 [Legendary Explorer]
    edited June 6
    big wrote: »
    simplysup2 wrote: »
    Also significant in my opinion: the current time is not displayed. Only arrival time is shown. And speed limits are often grossly inaccurate.

Your joking, so the current time isn't displayed?

What are these TomTom developers playing at, why on earth remove the 'actual time' stamp, while the device is routing...

Pretty sure my 6200 has this on the screen while driving, and while a route is in place.
  • LepreLepre Posts: 96 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Goodmorning everyone,
    my question is this: how does the GO Discover work if you are in the mountains and the phone sim does not take the line ???
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 671
    Superuser
    The same as those with a built-in SIM - you will still have access to the maps and navigation, but there won't be any updates provided by online services (in the Discover's case, traffic and fuel prices).