How to enter an address? — TomTom Community

How to enter an address?

how do i enter an address without entering the postcode and city first ?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,627
    Superuser
    Hi @Kathleen2

Unfortunately the Start 42/52 and 62's only has the Step by Step search option unlike all the other Tomtom units which also have the option to set them to the Quick Search option.

The Step by Step method if not ideal with UK Postcodes as it insists that you also input a road name which for many is not easy as they don't necessarily know the name of the road especially in rural areas. Also if you are not using the postcode you have to identify the Village/Town first before inputing the First Line of the address.

As you live in the UK you would find a TT unit with Quick Search a better option as it accepts the first line of our address and then suggests it is the one in our village or you can input just the Postcode followed by the house number and it finds it.

Tomtom have been aware of this issue for a long time but unfortunately have so far not amended the Operating System to incorporate the Quick Search Option to overcome the issue in the UK.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,080
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Kathleen2
    Welcome to the site....
    Yes as Doug says this is a long-standing problem....
    The Postcode code search bug when using the latest Start devices is a real pain
    Any search for a Postcode... You have to enter a road/street name to execute a search ??? Why....
    If you know the road/street name and a house number you don't need the Postcode
    Most people use a Postcode because they don't know the road/street name and house number
    Isolated farms, Single building, Office blocks, Retail parks, Hospitals, New builds etc...
    For me, it renders the latest Start device useless in the UK

It's only the latest Start 42/52/62 Range that has this particular Step by Step search engine as the only option... All the previous NAV4 Models and the remaining Models in the NAV5 Range... The Via and GO Range have both the "Quick search" and "Step by Step search" as menu options
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> System --> Choose a search mode
    (1).... Quick Search (Default & Best)
    (2)... Step by Step

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Kathleen2Kathleen2 Posts: 12 [Apprentice Seeker]
    ok thanks, i seem to have asked this question again tonight, it is really annoying.
    Could you please let me know a particular tomtom model to buy that has the quick search (default and best) as you describe it ..the start 52 is the first sat nav i have ever used and it is on the whole ok but this cit/postcode being the only search option is, as you say, renders it useless
    Superuser
    Hi @Kathleen2

All the other Tomtom units have the 2 search options so you can select the Quick Search option if you want it. This option does not require a road name but you can type Postcode 24 and it should direct you to that postcode and house number 24. So if you typed your Postcode followed by the house number it will direct you to where it thinks your house is.

Let us know which models you are interested in and we can confirm for you.

Doug
  • Kathleen2Kathleen2 Posts: 12 [Apprentice Seeker]
    well, can u tell me one that has the 2 search options and might not be too costly...spent about 90 pound on start 52 and now as well as having only 1 search option it now after i have updated my monthly speed camera subscription the speed cameras dont appear on the screen...so 2 major faults with this one....is there no sort of customer complaints section which are directly linked to tomtom rather than just using a customer forum to try and solve problems....this start52 has been a bit farcical
    Superuser
    Hi @Kathleen2

The single search models are the Start42/52/62 and all the others including the Basic and Go510 or GO520 all have the Quick Search option as well.

Regarding the Speed Cameras it appears that some purchases are taking longer to be allocated to their accounts during this current crisis. If you contact Customer Support via Chat they can sort it for you whilst you are on to them.

To contact customer support Tap Support at the top of this page.
    Then Tap Contact us bottom right
    New box appears and after a few seconds Get in touch appears and Tap that.
    You should now get a box with Chat offered

If it does not work as described try another Web Browser.

Doug