Go Discover with a SIM card? — TomTom Community

Go Discover with a SIM card?

DorsetDonkeyDorsetDonkey Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited February 8 in GO Discover & GO Expert
Will there be versions with a SIM card ? I have no interest in connecting my phone to a Sat Nov. I Bluetooth it to my in-car system for music and call handling. My current TomTom has a SIM built in to enable traffic updates.

Comments

• LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 15,362
    Superusers
    Hi and welcome to the forum where TomTom users help each other.

Currently no Discover devices with Sim available.
  • uklee1uklee1 Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I totally get what you saying I would prefer a sim unit. That said 2G is slow to connect half the time Im half way to me destination before the live service appear to have connected. At least with 5G is quicker. I generally alway have my phone with me these days to use Apple Pay etc.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,619
    Superusers
    edited February 14
    Hi
    @uklee1
    5G would be useless for the type of signal area coverage required by a TomTom SatNav device....
    The 5G wavelengths have a range of about 1,000 feet (0.3 km), that's not even 2% of the 4G's signal range. So to ensure a reliable 5G signal, there needs to be lots of 5G cell towers and antennas everywhere. We're talking one on every lamppost, traffic light, etc. because even trees can block 5G signals....

ATB YFM
  • Greg999Greg999 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'll order a 7" Camper one with Sim, when it becomes available and if the MyDrive app works as it should. Over to you Tomtom. 😉
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,511
    Superusers
    We are many people to wait for Built in SIM new device!