No space on GO 5000 to install map — TomTom Community

No space on GO 5000 to install map

How can I downsize to a smaller Map so I can get NAV4 installed? At the moment I'm stuck with no space and a UK and Europe map, I only need UK.
@VikramK can you help me?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,985
    Superusers
    edited February 12
    HI
    @KateID
    Welcome to the site....
    Maybe usefull....
    The early 8GB NAV4 devices... The Maps fitted easily onto the 8GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the 8GB NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....

The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 8.6GB
    I do not think you will find enough space deleting files to install the full Europe Map... The device also uses the onboard Memory for the Operating System + 400MB is used for working space and is considered the bare minimum free space for the device to operate....

@VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators will pick this up on Monday and add a small Map to the Account to get past the 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....

For More Info & Options See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

NavCore or NavKit is the name for the Tomtom SatNav Operating System....

zjo2bg3jm1jl.jpg
    Tomtom force tick some Mandatory Updates.... Navcore updates QuickFixGPS etc....
    If an update is force ticked by Tomtom we can't deselect them....

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    As above the NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time....
    This will help to prevent a Log-Jam effect on the Tomtom Servers if something go wrong with one of the updates... The Server then only has to wait for one update file to Time-Out

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,704
    Superuser
    edited February 12
    Hi @KateID

I assume as you say you do not have enough space you have not got an extra memory card fitted. If not then add a 16gb or 32gb card Micro SD class 10 card then you will be able to update the Europe map to the Full version and it will go on the extra memory.

The above will release space on the internal memory.' @VikramK may be able to add the UK map to your account so that you can load that on the internal memory and help avoid issues thatch result in the No Maps Found. Look back on Monday to see what he has to say.

Doug
  • KateIDKateID Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    I have put in a blank 32gb sdcard but I’m still stuck with the “you must update nav4 before you can change maps” dilemma.
    Superuser
    edited February 12
    Hi @KateID

Okay I assume that after you formatted the new card for Maps when you installed it you have clicked on the Map listed in My Drive Connect and cannot change it to the Full Europe Map or a smaller version. That being the case then we need to wait for @VikramK to advise you as they may need to set up a routine on the TT severs w=that will sort out your problem.

If you had 2 maps on the unit you could delete the one on the internal memory and if you ever need to reload it you can.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited February 13
    Hi
    @KateID
    Tomtom devices need at least one Map installed before they will Boot-up...
    The Maps on the NAV4 devices easily fitted onto the 8GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board memory size on the NAV3 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The NAV3 Full Europe Map size is now around 8.6 GB....

Note... If you already have the Map installed on a Micro SDHC memory card the NAV4 device will update the Map as normal....

When you update using MyDrive Connect, you should be offered a Map Zone.....
    If you mainly travel in the UK and do not need the Full Europe Map... The Europe Zone 1 has the UK&ROI Maps....

If you require the Full Europe Map you will need to install a 8GB or 16GB Class 10 Micro SDHC memory card (32GB is the max size, but it's way over the top for 4GB Maps)

Method...
    Check which Map/zone suits you best...
    Install a Map Zone.... Zone 9 is the smallest Map Zone....
    I used Zone 1 as it also has the UK&ROI Map...

(1)... With MyDrive Connect running....
    At the top of the MyDrive Connect screen....
    Find & click the 'MY CONTENT' menu...
    (2)... Scroll down to 'MY MAPS'... Click on the required Flag Icon (Europe)...

Note... The MyDrive Connect screen-grab images below are from an earlier NAV3 4GB Via 120 Live device where the latest Map update size is around 4.6 GB....
    s3z5taeh9o2l.jpeg
    1gmmg7ftpv93.jpg
    Note... You can ONLY use the above menu option....
    'Use a memory card in your device'
    If you have already installed a memory card formatted with the Tomtom propriety format....

b94ya0yjxd8i.jpg
    Follow the on screen menu prompts to select and install the required MAP Zone....

With the Map Zone installed... The device will Boot-up and allow you to Format the Micro SDHC memory card to the Tomtom propriety format, this will allow the installation of Maps
    (3)... Format the Micro SDHC memory card to FAT32 on your PC
    (4)... Insert the Micro SDHC memory card into your NAV3 Device, the device should recognize the card and offer to format the card to the Tomtom propriety format....
    Accept the offer and format the memory card...

(5)... MyDrive Connect screen should now refresh and allow you to install the Full Europe Map onto the Memory Card....
    zan73scl2t8a.jpg

I suggest you do not uninstall the smaller map as it will also act as a 'Keeper'
    This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a Micro SDHC memory card
    Also, if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • KateIDKateID Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Fixed it - changed the micro usb cable I used and it updated without an issue, also selected a smaller map (only really need uk) and have some good space left on the device now.
    Superuser
    Hi @KateID

Glad you are sorted.

Doug
    Superusers
    Hi
    @KateID
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,551 Moderator
    Hi @KateID

When you get a chance, please click 'Yes' to mark comments as an answer so other users can find it useful. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to post back here.

Regards, lampard